Author Topic: TAPCO mag mod...?  (Read 1439 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
TAPCO mag mod...?
« on: November 27, 2019, 04:05:56 PM »
Hi Fellas,

Anyone ever mod a Tapco mag to accept strippers? I'm trapped in Kali and have built a Shernic Pup. It's GTG with the stock mag, but I want to use a Tapco 10/20 for looks. I'll have to alter the stock mag release too. I plan to remove the release lever tang, and pin it in the closed position, so the only way to remove the mag is to tear down the weapon. That will satisfy the Kali DOJ reg for "fixed mag", but will be reversible should it end up in a free state.

I also cut the barrel to 18" and installed a Ramline brake, which brings the OAL to 30 9/16th, a 16th longer than the minimum for it not to be SBR. I also put an Alby charge handle on. It looks pretty cool in the initial mock up. I'll get pictures up when it's done.

Thanks, PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: TAPCO mag mod...?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 11:02:56 AM »
Hey pax, what would have to be modified in the mag for strippers?  A spot for the stripper to seat and not be able to keep being pushed down into the magazine with the rounds?  I always thought the stock SKS mag has the bolt hold open hardware that was specialized, but never realized there was anything special wrt the strippers in there. On the carrier yes...now I’m going to have to satisfy my curiosity, pull one from the safe, and look!!! chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 12:04:47 PM »
I aint saying it cant be done... cause I can load my Vz.58s with strippers, they are designed that way.....even the Ak cant pull that off.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 12:16:08 PM »
Hey pax, what would have to be modified in the mag for strippers?  A spot for the stripper to seat and not be able to keep being pushed down into the magazine with the rounds?  I always thought the stock SKS mag has the bolt hold open hardware that was specialized, but never realized there was anything special wrt the strippers in there. On the carrier yes...now I’m going to have to satisfy my curiosity, pull one from the safe, and look!!! chuckles1

1mlt was the one who mention the mag mod for strippers. I haven't checked the hold open feature yet. The bolt I'm using is modded for the hold open, but I haven't checked the function out with the Tapco mag I'm going to use. It's a hassle to get the trigger group out of the Shernic, so I'm wanting to get everything together before final cleaning and assembly. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798