Author Topic: The ULTIMATE SKS Bullpup (PIC HEAVY)  (Read 13176 times)

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
The ULTIMATE SKS Bullpup (PIC HEAVY)
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:50:56 PM »
I'm just going to leave this here......for now....   whistle12

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:30:20 PM by Power Surge »

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
  • The Canadian Contingent
Re: The ULTIMATE SKS Bullpup
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 12:56:38 AM »
A Tavor?
RUSSIA SKS45: Tula 49, 50, 51 x2, 53 x2, 54, 57(И); Izhevsk 53, 54
POLAND SKS45: "W.P." Marked Tula 52
CHINA TYPE 56 CARBINE: /26\ 60 "S", 61, 64, 65, 66, 79; /UK5?\ 69; /256\ 70; /316\ 70; [0138] Stamped Receiver 70 x2; /306\ 71; /416\ 公安 73; /0412\ 78
CHINA Civilian: SKS-D (XZ), "SKS-D", Cdn Para x2
N. KOREA: T63
YUGO PAP M59: 66 C-Series x2; PAP M59/66a1: 73 J, 83 T
ALBANIA 561: 78

Searching: Romanian, German, Vietnamese, IC, and the rest...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 01:08:46 AM »
Looks kinda like a M41A Mk2 Pulse Rifle  :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »
What's the trigger pull like on an IWI Tavor? 

More generally, are there any bullpups that don't have a creepy trigger with a pull greater than 6 lbs?  Or is that just a mechanical friction "fact of life" inherent in any bullpup with their complex trigger linkage designs?

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 02:00:52 PM »

More generally, are there any bullpups that don't have a creepy trigger with a pull greater than 6 lbs?  Or is that just a mechanical friction "fact of life" inherent in any bullpup with their complex trigger linkage designs?

It's not a Tavor.... more to come later....

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 02:09:07 PM »

It's not a Tavor.... more to come later....

Interesting. Made to look just like a Tavor then  :)  My general questions about bullpups remain, but perhaps that's for a separate thread...

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 03:48:46 PM »
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/09/26/trigger-pulls-good-bad-ugly/

These factory bullpup triggers are in the 9+ lb range.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 07:08:55 PM »
Ok....would have uploaded more last night, but photobucket was not being overly cooperative.

This is a project that I have been working on for the past year. I have always loved the Tavor SAR rifle, but was not overly fond of the $1800 price tag, plus I prefer the 7.62x39 round, which the Tavor is not offered in. Being an SKS enthusiast, I thought it might be fun to attempt to build a Tavor clone, but using an SKS for the action. I kicked around several ways of doing this, and then I found that several companies make airsoft versions of the Tavor, with the stocks being almost identical to the Tavor, since they are officially licensed by IWI. So I picked up an SKS parts gun from a local guy, and found a take off airsoft Tavor stock on ebay. That was the easy part...

After that, began the year long process of making the SKS fit inside the stock, and make everything function as it should. That included a forward charging handle, and removable AR style magazine (in 7.62). I can't really fully describe how much work went into this project. Every single part of this gun, required modification and custom made parts. I think the only unmodified part of the rifle is the AR 7.62 magazines :). The receiver needed the sides milled down to fit inside the stock. The magazine area needed to be milled out to accept the AR magazine. Instead of letting the magazine take the hit of the bolt for the last round hold open, I was able to modify the factory hold open to pop up on the last round being pushed up by the magazine follower. The bolt was machined with the "drop free" mod, to allow the magazine to be removed and installed with the bolt closed. The ejector and ejection port was modified to let the cases eject at more of a sideways angle out the stock. The trigger assembly was modified to work inside the stock, and has custom linkage to activate the trigger from the remote front trigger. The safety that was already in the airsoft stock, still functions to block the trigger. The inside of the stock halves had to be milled in certain areas to fit the action inside. The original front sight block and front stock ferrule were removed from the barrel. The barrel was cut down to 16" and threaded for an A2 compensator. The front gas block was modified to mount to the stock. The front and rear hand guard ferrules were removed from the gas tube. Rear sight leaf removed from the rear sight block, and sides shaved down. Custom action pins made with stainless button head screws for positive pin retention. Upper rail mount custom made from a block of aluminum. The front cover portion of the stock that has the charge handle on one side and short picatinny on the other side could not be obtained separately for the airsoft stock, so I had to custom make one from scratch out of a block of Delrin. The airsoft stock is actually about an inch longer than the Tavor stock, which is why it goes out an inch past where the top rail ends. The top rail is a stock Tavor SAR rail, with the flip up sights. There's probably more I'm forgetting....it's been a long path here, lol.

And to answer Phos' trigger question....it's 4.5 lbs, and smooth as silk. I couldn't be happier with the the trigger. I expected it to feel like crap.

Here's a lot more pics.... :)

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 08:08:57 PM »
Thats so cool, plus you have all the workshop tools i will never be able to afford  :(

I was thinking about doing the same thing with an airsoft svd and a svt at one point, but theres no airsoft stores in the boonies.  So if you want to do that next and tell me how it goes that would be great. :)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 09:04:23 PM »
Wow, that looks like a year's worth of work   :o Amazing the trigger is that light, nice job  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 09:55:49 PM »
This message is Cannon approved.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: The ULTIMATE SKS Bullpup (PIC HEAVY)
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 11:44:15 AM »
Little function testing and sight in this morning. Need to redo the forward charge handle rod, as it's binding and not letting the action cycle fully. Should be an easy fix.

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • The Canadian Contingent
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
Impressive!
RUSSIA SKS45: Tula 49, 50, 51 x2, 53 x2, 54, 57(И); Izhevsk 53, 54
POLAND SKS45: "W.P." Marked Tula 52
CHINA TYPE 56 CARBINE: /26\ 60 "S", 61, 64, 65, 66, 79; /UK5?\ 69; /256\ 70; /316\ 70; [0138] Stamped Receiver 70 x2; /306\ 71; /416\ 公安 73; /0412\ 78
CHINA Civilian: SKS-D (XZ), "SKS-D", Cdn Para x2
N. KOREA: T63
YUGO PAP M59: 66 C-Series x2; PAP M59/66a1: 73 J, 83 T
ALBANIA 561: 78

Searching: Romanian, German, Vietnamese, IC, and the rest...

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »
Now that is friggin' beautiful!
That looks so much more solid looking and less toy-like than most bullpup kits out there. It is kind of funny that it actually once was a toy.  8)

I had hemmed and hawed over ever trying that...and have kind of shied away from it.  Seeing so many used kits for sale makes me think they must have a high failure rate regarding dependability. I figured if I ever tried it, I would likely just get a plank of wood and noodle around with making my own...and not really going too crazy on modding the gun.

Now that the bar has been raised, I don't know if I could  bring myself to do anything less...That looks pretty darn fierce!  It also seems like the novelty would never wear off, like I thought the other kits would.
Now that you have done all the engineering and trial and error, how difficult would it be to duplicate the parts you have fabricated?  It would be so cool to see these available by custom order.

Great way to show off the shop a little too, nicethumb1

What is the story behind that right side serialed receiver?  Just curious...I haven't seen that before.

What does it weigh loaded and with optics/sights? Pics with the mag and whatever you are using for optics would be cool to see as well. :)

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 05:16:42 PM »

What is the story behind that right side serialed receiver?  Just curious...I haven't seen that before.

What does it weigh loaded and with optics/sights? Pics with the mag and whatever you are using for optics would be cool to see as well. :)

Since the sides of this receiver had to be milled down, that obviously wiped out the serial as well. I just restamped it when it was done, and I put it in that spot because you can see that area from outside the stock. The gun had been scrubbed previously, as there was no signs of an arsenal stamp anywhere, just the odd 5 digit serial. And it obviously wasn't a ghost, because it was a pinned barrel gun. It does have the speculated date stamping on the underside of the receiver though, that we see on some 70s pinned barrel guns, so I believe it was a 71 vintage.

No optics just yet. I was using the factory flip up sights built into the Tavor top rail. (pretty cool)

Unloaded weight is about 8.5 lbs, so it's similar to an SKS or a tactical'd out AR. But the difference is that all the weight is right off your shoulder.... so there's virtually no fatigue holding the the gun aimed at something.

I'll take some pics in a bit with a 20 round mag installed and flip up sights up.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 06:01:52 PM »
I am sure the weight shift difference is tremendous.

Three round burst would be something cool with the altered capabilities, too bad mechanically it is unrealistic, and legally cost prohibitive. It seems like with a nicely tuned brake it would be quite controllable...and devastating. :)

I wondered whether there would be the sight radius to have effective use of flip up sights for anything other than short distances...what distance were those groups?

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 06:06:03 PM »
I am sure the weight shift difference is tremendous.

Three round burst would be something cool with the altered capabilities, too bad mechanically it is unrealistic, and legally cost prohibitive. It seems like with a nicely tuned brake it would be quite controllable...and devastating. :)

I wondered whether there would be the sight radius to have effective use of flip up sights for anything other than short distances...what distance were those groups?

Just 25 yards. Nobody really uses the flip up sights only. But that's what I had, lol.

I would like to get an Eotech clone reflex sight. But I want to find one that co-witnesses with the flip up sights.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 09:01:01 PM »
20 round AR 7.62 mag installed, and factory flip up sights...

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 10:31:31 PM »
Kewl....those sights are nifty, but I can see why you wouldn't want them to be primaries....the cowitness thing seems like a good idea...might need a riser though.