Author Topic: Teriyaki Deer Jerky in a food dehydrator  (Read 17728 times)

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
Teriyaki Deer Jerky in a food dehydrator
« on: December 17, 2015, 03:12:14 PM »
This recipe was tweeked by myself but turned out great, so I thought it is 1 to write down and use again.

Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Deer Loin Jerky:

Marinade ingredients:

Soy Vay Teriyaki Marinade and sauce ( any teriyaki sauce or marinade would work but I highly recommend this brand. You could saute any veggie or meat or tennis shoe in this stuff. It has the added flavor of toasted sesame seeds.)

The next dry ingredients, I added a dash to a teaspoon but in a pinch....The bottled marinade would probably stand well on its own, its that good)

Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Ground Ginger
Ground Pepper
Soy Sauce
2Tbs or more ( the marinade has soy sauce in it already so watch the salt I put about 2 tbs and it wasn't to salty)

2 teaspoons to 1 table spoon liquid smoke ( adds great flavor but go easy...to much will add a bitter flavor)

Brown Sugar ( mix it in marinade 1st to make sure it dissolves. I used 2 Tbs and didn't think it was to sweet...but I like sweet and Teriyaki is sweet already)

A lil water to thin it down a bit. You can adjust this to adjust the streght of the flavor.

EDIT: The next time I use this, I'm gonna add about 2 teaspoons of crushed Red Pepper to add some heat to the sweet. If you like hotter/spicier jerky, I suggest adding this and a lil more black pepper

The Meat:

I used the Back straps aka loins from a 2 1/2 yr old Doe but the Hind muscle would work great as well. If you don't have any venison....A beef roast would work fine. Unlike any other time you cut up meat...you want to cut with the grain and not against. This gives the jerky that "chew" we all love. If you end up cutting against the grain thats OK...it just might end up being a lil brittle but will still taste great.

Slice pieces 1/4 to 3/8 thick. The thinner pieces will just be done faster. ( A shout out to bbush for a tip on making sure to rotate around the thick to thinner pieces to figure out whats done first.)

Mix meat and marinade together in a plastic storage bag ( for ease) or a covered bowl for at least 12 to 24 hours.  The meat should be well coated to covered.( whoosh 'em around a few times to keep the marinade even.)

When looking into this, times and Temps were all over the board from 4 hours to 12 and temps from 140 to 200 degrees. Here is what worked for me...

I used a Red Head adjustable temp Food Dehydrator. Some dehydrators have a set temp so refer to the booklet for proper times. I set mine at 150 degrees for 10 hours and it worked for me. with some of the thinnest pieces coming off after 6 hours and honestly most was good after 8-9. I rotated the trays from top to bottom every 1 1/2-2 hours. After about 5 hours I flipped the pieces over because where they were in contact with the trays, was still moist.

This will work on the lowest setting in your home oven but time will be closer to 4-6 hours. Keep the door cracked to keep temp lower.

Fellas I wouldn't have shared if it didn't turn out great...I'm having to hide it from the kids...and myself Give it a try and post your results up here. Feel free to tweek the ingredients....I would  :))

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:58:40 PM by armedhippie »
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Teriyaki Deer Jerky in a food dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 06:23:42 PM »
 drool2

Pics!!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
X10 on the Soy Vay Teriyaki Marinade and sauce that stuff is the bomb, I use it on everything when grilling just brush it on boneless pork chops, chicken wings, you name it a few minutes before you pull it off the grill.......don't need to marinate if you don't have time, but a little goes a long way..........you have been warned!

Thanks for the recipe Hippie I got whitetail in the freezer begging to try this!!
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 07:38:41 PM »
Yum, reminds me that I should make some venison jerky soon!  Looks like a good recipe!

If I wasn't going out of town this weekend, I would make some tomorrow!

John Galt
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 07:55:34 PM »
I don't have any pics of that 1st batch but it was so good, I've been digging around the freezer and found a 1-1 1/2 lb buck loin roast and marinaded for over 24 hrs and put it on bout 7 hours ago. Same recipe but left out the brown sugar this time but added Smoked Sea Salt. ( reminds me I forgot the 2 tsps liquid smoke in the first write up, I'll edit it)

I had plenty of room between each piece this time since I wasn't drying much and its done much faster. Been 7 hrs and I'm calling done. My 10 hr batch was 5 trays packed fairly tight, this batch was only 2 trays spread out.

You can see the toasted sesame seeds.

Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »
 :o

Seriously looks like you know what your doin.   :)

Can I ise this recipe with beef?  If so, what cut do I buy?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 08:30:06 PM »
 drool2 drool2  Uuummm deer jerky.. almost licked my monitor rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 08:59:10 PM »
 chuckles1  GM you monitor licker!

:o

Seriously looks like you know what your doin.   :)

Can I ise this recipe with beef?  If so, what cut do I buy?

Thanks man. I'm gonna try this 1 with beef as well. You wanna use a lean cut of muscle roast like a top round or bottom round roast. Those should be good and lean but trim as needed. The marinade should tenderize but I'm gonna mess around with the recipe and see if I need to add a meat tenderizer.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 09:09:23 PM »
Dang it hippie that looks good, made me go get into my stash!!! I'm gonna try this, sounds great.

Thanks hippie!

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 09:46:38 AM »
Looks delicious AH, and thanks for sharing! Now I wish I had the time to make my own batch, but it will probably have to wait till after the holidays. 

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 10:37:35 AM »
Before I try something I usually like to sample it first. I think that is only logical. When will they arrive?  :)

Thanks for sharing!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 09:11:34 PM »
I just got home and have a package here from AH.    :o

dance2

Lets test this stuff deer stuff out. 

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 09:15:27 PM »
Oh man...  I scerd.    rofl

It dont smell like any jerky im familiar with.  :o

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 09:17:41 PM »
chuckles1  GM you monitor licker!

GM is a monitor licker?!  :o

Sounds like good stuff AH!  I've never had venison jerky  drool2

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 09:28:38 PM »
Send it to me.... drool2 drool2 drool2

Oh man...  I scerd.    rofl

It dont smell like any jerky im familiar with.  :o

Love me some Bambi jerky... Call it karma, they destroyed a car of mine, so.. I kill'em and eat'em. thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 09:29:03 PM »
Dang... this is good stiff right here!  Deer def taste dif for sure, but I think I can get used to it.   :)

Thanks Hippie!  Now I can mark that one off the list and know what you guys are talkin about.   Like Im one of the club!   or something.   :P

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 09:30:39 PM »
Wait....   why does muh mouf feel funnwdndndnfodbdkdkdjdkdkddcsjmbcscscjskcsscksbcksjbcljsbclbsbusvsykykdkysyskykdkddkdnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnmnnnmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnm

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 09:35:06 PM »
Wait....   why does muh mouf feel funnwdndndnfodbdkdkdjdkdkddcsjmbcscscjskcsscksbcksjbcljsbclbsbusvsykykdkysyskykdkddkdnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnmnnnmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnm

OH, no... he sent you the cheapest part of the deer didn't he..  deer balls, seriously, there under a buck..

rofl rofl rofl2 rofl2 chuckles1 chuckles1 rofl rofl rofl :)) thankyou1

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 05:37:26 PM »
Dang... this is good stiff right here!  Deer def taste dif for sure, but I think I can get used to it.   :)

Thanks Hippie!  Now I can mark that one off the list and know what you guys are talkin about.   Like Im one of the club!   or something.   :P

Your very welcome, Glad to do it. thumb1 Sounds like I'll need to send Phos some when I do another batch. For you fellas that's had deer jerky before....the venison "virgins" are at the front of the line  :)) Hopefully another deer will come my way before the end of the season and cash willing...I wouldn't mind sending a lil care package out to any1 that wants 1. I know GM will want some  rofl 

LC I wanted to put some silica gell packs in with it but....all I had have had contact with lead. Hopefully it didn't acquire a "gamey" smell to it...cuz it didn't have any when I sent it but just had a bite that was stored on top of the fridge and it had a lil bit. Hope you enjoyed it and glad ya got to check it off your list.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 06:52:10 PM »
Maybe a tad gamey but that just may be because its deer and I'm a deer virgin.   :))