Author Topic: Bayos...what's the skinny on black ones?  (Read 1268 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Bayos...what's the skinny on black ones?
« on: November 27, 2018, 03:26:24 PM »
Hi SKS Junkies and General Gun Nuts,

I've been looking for a blade bayo for some time. In my scrounging, I've come across a couple black ones, spiker & blade. My Albys have black spikers, but I've never had a black blade before. It looks more like phosphate and quite a bit duller than the Alby. I was told by the seller, he was told it was Russian, but there's no marks that I could find. Any way to confirm it's origin and what would have run it? Thanks, PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Bayos...what's the skinny on black ones?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 04:53:29 PM »
A Parkerized, aka phosphate treated bayonet with a rougher surface than blued or painted steel, I don't recall ever seeing in black.
Dark grey phosphate: Yugoslavian M59.
Black bluing: Russian.
Black paint: Russian.
Black phosphate: possibly sophisticated Bubba or Russian?

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 05:40:57 PM »
You got any photos Pax?  The blued Russian bayos have a definitive luster that is not present on the BBQ painted ones and the gray M59 blades P32 alludes to are vastly different from either in terms of surface roughness.  I'll have to see if I can scrounge up some photos of the various types from my archive.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 04:32:43 AM »
From what you guys have said, I think it's a Parked Yugo, kinda rough. My M59 doesn't have  one like that, it's smooth and shinny. Would the Parked one be correct for any M59s, or just a specific serial run? Thanks guys, PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798