Author Topic: Odd stock I won on feebay.  (Read 3253 times)

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Odd stock I won on feebay.
« on: September 15, 2017, 02:17:04 PM »
I've been looking for a decent stock for a paratrooper that I saved from bubba a few months ago. And have lucked out until the other night.

I was watching this auction for two stocks, 1 normal and one with an odd cut out around the butt plate.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-SKS-Rifle-Stocks-/182750059751?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=PDj7rAeheV2XqDPQdPfDgxOo%252B7M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The normal stock is going to work nicely for my paratrooper to put her back in some wood. The second stock I am trying to figure out if it is the work of bubba or if it came on some commercial variant? Has anyone seen a stock like this before? There are pretty good pictures in the original auction, but I took a couple after they showed up today.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:44:12 PM by bbush44 »

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Re: Odd stock I won on feebay.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 02:02:27 PM »
No one? Not even a wild guess? Come on guys.  rofl

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »
Hey Brian, I've been on travel lately and the board in general has been unusually quiet too.

I suspect the stock is off a Chinese Honor Guard.  I've never seen under the buttplate on one of these, but they have a lengthened lip that looks like it might possibly fit.  Having said that, the two examples I immediately found have bottom sling swivels, not the side ones like yours shows.  Maybe the spike bayo HGs were side swivel stocks?  It's certainly an interesting piece!

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 03:10:33 PM »
Thanks Joe, I was just messing around, and bumping the thread back up.

Thanks for the pictures, that now gives me a direction to research. I remember seeing a variant with the different butt plate, but was drawing a blank on my searches.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »
Yeah, I remember a commercial variant like that as well but I'm also drawing a blank.  Maybe a rubber buttplate extension on some of the paratroopers? 

I don't know if the cup in the honor guard stock is deep enough for the mortice on the end of your stock either, now that I look at it more closely yours seems longer such that the buttplate wouldn't sit well.  Heck, I'm not even certain that the HG guns came in spiked versions.  At least not the ones in the batch that Andy Sun imported.

Power Surge, where are you when we need you!?  :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:46:47 PM »
Hell....  I wrote the darn guide page.   :))

In china, there are mostly blade versions with side swivels.... and a later version with more chrome and spike bayo.  Hard to tell if this is an HG stock or not.  The mortise looks about right to me, but those drywall hangers could mean bubba also.     

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 09:51:57 AM »
This is a spike cut, side swivel, which I have not been able to find a picture of another HG in that configuration. There is a very faint serial # on the stock 005XX, where I can't make out the last 2 digits at the moment.
LC do you have any pictures of the side swivel, spike ones you mentioned?