Author Topic: So how good (or bad) are those colored plastic sight posts ?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline KILLDOZER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
So how good (or bad) are those colored plastic sight posts ?
« on: August 04, 2017, 11:08:19 PM »
After having major stability issues with a Williams fiber optic front sight on this new-to-me paratrooper, I'm trying to put an original stud back in the front sight, and some sort of  traditional-type sight post (either original, or aftermarket).
I just ordered the stud piece a minute ago, and i keep running across these little multi-colored plastic sight posts, and was wondering what the consensus on them was. I realize i can just paint the post with fingernail polish (I have a few done up in neon lime green already) but that stuff really thickens up a sight post, and it's kinda fragile and likes to chip off.
I'm also looking at the Tech-Sights target post, which seems to get good reports, is steel, and is pretty cheap. (now hopefully they don't charge twice what the damn thing costs, just to ship it).
Any good info, advice, warnings,etc. are much appreciated.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: So how good (or bad) are those colored plastic sight posts ?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 11:51:56 PM »
Is it just a 'neat' factor to have one of these on an sks?   I dont use them so I wouldn't know, but I don't see an issue with an original post. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline KILLDOZER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 09:00:13 AM »
No argument, I'm basically just considering options, and the cheaper the better (as long as it works,of course). Right now I'm leaning towards the steel Tech-Sights target post, which has a thinner sight post that the originals, which is something I always felt SKS's and AK's would benefit from. I checked last night, and their shipping is super reasonable, so they only cost around $8-9 delivered.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »
I always heard they were troublesome for melting.  I have precisely one orange one, it came on my 49 Russian of all things...it was promptly removed, tossed into (towards) the trash, and later found.

It does look a little melty.  The orange did seem quite invisible to me...I never could see it.  It is certainly not as bright as the Williams.

If you want to spend a little money and try something interesting check out one of these, or the other posts made by KNS
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/693844/kns-front-sight-post-ak-47-mak-90-sks-duplex-crosshair-reticle-matte

I saw one of these installed on a bubba Yugo, and it was pretty dang nice....they look fragile though.
The other KNS sight posts look nice too, if you have a real tack driver, the smaller posts might be handy...

I have heard flat black on the post and on the sight leaf portions that face the eye are a good, somewhat invisible mod to help with the regular irons.