Author Topic: The Vietnamese SKS.  (Read 4552 times)

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
The Vietnamese SKS.
« on: September 14, 2014, 11:09:51 AM »
I figure we can bring this thread back, right?  ;) Are these really NVA made? Or Chinese made & supplied?

GO
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:33:05 AM by Worm »

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: The North Vietnamese SKS... Or are they..?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 02:52:13 PM »
Worm I don't have the vast knowledge base to rely on like the rest of you guys but my gut feeling is no, they weren't built in N. Vietnam.

The only thing I can base my argument on is that in the early years of the war the VC were using tons of weapons/ammo from the WWII era from the allies and axis powers. We have no sound evidence that I'm aware of that the N. Vietnamese  built factories/armories to produce the SKS. Even if they tried and possibly even succeeded in making a few I believe the effort never got off the ground in a notable scale because of the extensive and devastating bombing campaign of the north. If this were the case, what would one of those rare carbines be worth among collectors today?!

We know that China and Russia sent enormous amounts of aid in money and weaponry, also man-power. I have met Veterans that said Russian soldiers were occasionally spotted in the field in the mid to late 60's. During this period I do not think it would have been worth the effort of N.V. to manufacture their own weapons when they were receiving everything from anti-aircraft missiles/guns and armored vehicles on down to the AK47 in large amounts from the Chinese & Russians. It just doesn't seem logical nor economically feasible in my view.

Having said all this, I'm going to duck down and button my hatch now!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 02:53:36 PM by Dannyboy53 »

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 03:00:51 PM »
Everything you said makes perfect sense Danny. When you compare these "NVA sks's" to the Chinese, they are identical. It doesn't make sense for the NVA to have produced their own rifles at the time. If that was the case, then why would they make SKS's? Why not AK-47's.. Which were more efficient, and probably easier to produce.

I have some evidence that may tear apart the NVA dating theory (where the first two digits supposedly represent the year) that I will be posting soon.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 03:15:59 PM »
Sounds like a good deal on the "NVA dating theory" Worm. The appearance of the AK47 in the time frame mentioned is my only strong point in my argument. Like you said Worm, why would they be making the SKS when they were getting thousands (tens of thousands?) of AK's that provide a higher rate of fire and larger mag capacity. That's a no-brainer in my estimation too!

I personally don't care for the AK, but in my opinion it's bad to the bone and rock solid dependable. I've fired one on full auto and it's impressive!

Offline Piston Driven

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 11:08:46 AM »
VC were citizen militia and insurgents and they had anything and everything they could get their hands on but had mostly mosin nagants and SKS carbine's and many other odds and ends including but not limited to m1 carbines, Mausers, Thompson's and rpk's. NVA were well trained an well equipped communist soldiers outfitted by the Chinese and Russians and had all the up to date goodies of that time and exclusively supplied by Russia and China.

Offline Saigon1965

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 02:56:33 PM »
May we see/read the theory please -

I have some evidence that may tear apart the NVA dating theory (where the first two digits supposedly represent the year) that I will be posting soon.