Author Topic: M59 Yugoslavian SKS  (Read 33178 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: M59 Yugoslavian SKS
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2019, 12:12:02 PM »
So, I have heard that 1TRZ was only concerned with the furniture is that correct?
My M59 has a matching serialed stock, there are two huge x's across the butt over the serial vertically...but I chalked those up to trench 'art'?  It is stamped 1TRZ on the stock, but not the handguard as I have seen several times before.

The stock seems refinished vs. the handguard. The handguard is kind of discolored by filth...the stock seems as if it likely was too...but cleaned and then lightly coated with what appears to be shellac. But, perhaps the wood just seems to have a sheen on it from handling? 

There was enough internal cosmoline left that I don't think this had been fired since importation...and it seems competely off base for the PO to have refinished the stock, skipped the handguard...and never bothered to clean the gun?  Is this along the lines of something that sounds 1TRZish?   

Unfortunately, I have handled precisely one M59...this one. I have to live vicariously through the internet...
It appears matching, Yugo style anyway...the carrier penciled on the side as is the trigger frame.  The gas tube, likely isn't original...there is BX something penciled on the tube itself under the handguard and a 47 penciled under the front end on the bottom flat...47 has nothing to do with my numbers. The handguard ferrule has at some point been removed...yet does not appear to be shellacked and is a considerable mismatch in appearance.  This lends me to think the PO didn't refinish it...as they likely would have. (perhaps at a light cleaning the PO accidentally switched my gas tube with another before consigning)

Anyway great thread GM...this is my go to spot for info on this model.  thumb1

Well.... It's apples to oranges.. but I have several variants on Yugoslavian Mausers.. I have one particular M48a that has a birch stock and elm handguard, and the dark wood stock/elm hand guard M59. I'm going to guess the stock is Birch, it's not elm and sure isn't teak. So would say any combination of wood is possible.

I've seen both scrubbed German Mausers and Russian M44 Mosins also sporting the 1.TRZ.  In regards to wood... one has to remember they are dealing with a poor Communist nation who told Russia to basically take a hike. Dirty nasty wood would probably be acceptable for reuse, broken wood wouldn't, think of it as going green to save green. Given the vast array and type of weapons they refurbed, manufactured and used is kind of amazing, Looking at all of the Communist nation's, that little country cranked out massive piles of arms.

Yugoslavia also clung to the 8mm Mauser round pretty heavy vs. switching everything over to the Soviet 7.62x54r...even though they did have those caliber weapons and produce ammo, the 8mm was their go to.
Yugoslavia was very proud of their storage grease, a M48bo I bought, the whole barrel was filled... Not just a coating inside, it was like they took a grease gun and pumped the whole barrel full. I ended up with an impressive grease glob shoving that turd out.

To answer your very first question...
6) Some stocks can be found with 1.TRZ stamped on the right side of the butt stock. Which stands for Technical overhauling institute #1, TRZ is Tehnicki Remontni Zavod. It is located in Cacak Serbia, and was functional as early as 1944 based on weapons that predate the SKS found with said stamp, and was believed to be in operation as late as 2005. They are believed to be only dealing with wood and/or stock work.

There is also a Triangle BP124 stamp...Vojna Radionica 124 (Military Workshop 124) I have never seen this stamp on a SKS..... Mosins, Mausers and even some PPSh-41s and a few other pre 1950 weapons seem to be the ones with this mark. There is also a run of Radionica Yugo Mausers, they are fairly uncommon when comapired to the Preduzece 44 made weapons.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Garand1957

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
  • https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/6
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2019, 02:58:52 PM »
Just for reference what's an all matching M59 in excellent condition worth these days ?

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2019, 07:07:20 PM »
In California they go from 4 to 6 fiddy these days. I sold one to Pax cheap bur only cuz hes so dam good looking🤣

Offline sksdude

• Newber
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2022, 05:43:03 PM »
Here is a Yugo M59 B15001....In excellent condition....Shoots GREAT !!!

Offline sar_ptolemy

• Newber
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2022, 05:36:28 PM »
GM, do you have any written/published sources on Yugoslav models to cite from, for recommendation; particularly about the Bosnian rebuilds?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2022, 04:43:06 AM »
Like most combloc weapons, there isn't really any written hard published sources, mainly due to their respective governments security and general record keeping. No nation that manufactured SKSs has ever openly volunteered production info or any info regarding processes and such. Everything here, is little bits and pieces of info collected after years of digging and research.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2023, 10:35:30 AM »
STOLEN!

I know the MF thief but I can't prove a damn thing.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2023, 12:15:52 PM »
Much suckage M!!! PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2023, 11:31:57 AM »
Dang, Sorry to hear Matchka. Probably wont hit the internet but will sure keep an eye out for ya. 

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2023, 12:33:16 PM »
Dang, what happened Matchka?  Was it just the M59 or others too?  Get a police report made up & make sure to distribute the description & S/N far and wide. 

Take some precautions to make sure it doesn't happen again too (change locks, move firearms to different location, etc).  Once those bastards think they've gotten away scott free the'll be back.

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2023, 11:12:29 AM »
Police report was filed. The M59 was in my workshop, disassembled, about 90% through removing the cosmoline from the metal parts. Locked the shop and left for about an hour to pick up a pack of cheese cloth and more Q-tips. When I got back the shop door was wide open. Police determined that the lock was picked (my first clue). The firing pin was MISSED! It was in a small jar of alcohol on a shelf, in plain view, directly in front of the disassembled rifle on the bench (my second clue). So far, no hits on the serno.

create image url