Author Topic: Norwegian Austrian German Mauser, 660 K98k  (Read 8347 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Norwegian Austrian German Mauser, 660 K98k
« on: May 13, 2017, 12:50:24 PM »
For quite some time I've been looking for a Norwegian K98k. My Norwegian (50%) heritage, the quality of these vs. other country's refurbishments of German K98k rifles, and the unique chambering all combined to pique my interest. I finally won this rifle as part of a three Mauser lot at the Poulin's auction on April 9, with provenance from the Bob Faris collection.

This 1940 660, Steyr-Daimler-Puch, K98k has been converted by the Norwegians to kaliber 7.62x63 (aka .30-06). Given the year of manufacture, this rifle may have come in with the original German invasion force in April 1940 and remained for the duration of the occupation. These rifles were converted by putting new barrels on surrendered German K98k rifles after WWII and the Norwegians generally kept the parts of the rifle together (in contrast to the Russian practice of seemingly throwing everything in a bin, rebluing and mixing thoroughly before dumping them out to reassemble rifles at random). The Norwegians lined out the old serial number and ground a flat on the left side of the receiver ring where they stamped a new Norwegian serial number preceded by HÆR for the army, K.ART (Kystartilleri) for the coastal artillery, or FLY (Flyvåpen) for the air force*. The latter two are understandably scarcer than the army version, given those branches much lower requirements for rifles, thus the K.ART and FLY marked rifles are more sought after. They also serialized the bolt body (root) and buttplate to match the Norwegian serial number. The remaining serialized parts remained matched to the original German rifle and they did not scrub any of the other German inspection markings.

In the case of my rifle there were a few parts that were replaced during refurbishment, including the sight leaf (but not the slider), and sight base, which has 1935 Mauser Oberndorf markings. Switching those parts is not surprising since they would have to be removed and swapped to the new barrel but as careful as they generally were to keep parts together, I suspect they were swapped to bring them up to specifications. The bolt body (WaA 623 marked) and the extractor (last two digits of the original SN) appear to be from the original rifle. The "rear end" of the bolt group is free of serial numbers except for the J.P. Sauer & Sohn marked (WaA 37) firing pin and an "NE" mark on the bottom of the cocking piece that is of unknown meaning to me. These pieces (save the firing pin) appear to have a dark phosphate treatment rather than bluing.

* The Royal Norwegian Air Force (Luftforsvaret) was established on November 10, 1944 when the Norwegian Army Air Service (Hærens Flyvåpen) and the Royal Norwegian Navy Air Service (Marinens Flygevåpen) were merged. Apparently these K98k conversions were simply stamped with a more familiar abbreviation for air force, flyvåpen (syn. flyvevåben, flygevåpen).

NORWEGIAN SERIAL NUMBERS

GERMAN SERIAL NUMBERS AND WAAS

handguard

stock

slider matches but sight leaf is Sauer und Sohn

Steyr WaA77 front sight base

UNMATCHED PARTS

Norwegian? marking on cocking piece

Sauer firing pin

1935 Mauser Oberndorf inspection stamps on rear sight base

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
Re: Norwegian Austrian German Mauser, 660 K98k
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »
I got to fondle that one before the auction.  If you find some drool (or any other bodily fluids) on it, don't clean them up.   They are part of the history of the gun now.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 03:35:15 PM »
I got to fondle that one before the auction.  If you find some drool (or any other bodily fluids) on it, don't clean them up.   They are part of the history of the gun now.

rofl  Oh sheesh, I'll have to get out my DNA sampling kit now  ;)

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 03:42:32 PM »

rofl  Oh sheesh, I'll have to get out my DNA sampling kit now  ;)

Either that or call out the EPA for a remediation cleanup!   :o   rofl

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 08:34:41 PM »
Hazmat alert!!!    chuckles1

Very nice phos...  Your such a legend! 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 08:54:49 PM »
Hazmat alert!!!    chuckles1

Very nice phos...  Your such a legend!

"Legend"  :o  yeah, right chuckles1  Thanks LC!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 09:12:56 PM »
Noticed something. The rear sight notch on the Norwegian conversion is a u-notch whereas German rifles have a V-notch. It seems possible to probable that these modifications were done in batches so that may account for the mixing up of the rear sight leaf from the original rifle  think1  :)  Yeah, I got a little carried away with making the simple graphic comparison  :))

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »
100 yards, 5 shot group

Only about a 4 moa group, but those three shots in the middle suggests it has inherent precision with the right shooter (better eyes, steadier hand) and ammo (used 1982 HXP surplus M2 ball). The proximity of those shots to the center of the target (aiming with a pumpkin on post sight picture) indicates it's accurate as well. I hit the 400 meter gong about 30% of the time with the 400 meter setting on the rear sight, but I hit 2 out of a 3 shot string when I got the Kentucky windage more or less figured out on a typically windy day.  I like this rifle  :)

Offline newchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 08:54:39 AM »
gun jesus briefly explains norways k98 today

Online MxwllBkr

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 10:10:57 AM »
Super sweet Rifle! Something else to look for now.......

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »
Super sweet Rifle! Something else to look for now.......

Thanks!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »
gun jesus briefly explains norways k98 today

Ian's videos are always interesting.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 02:14:51 PM »
I like it  thumb1 Interesting how they machine a flat for the serial, where everyone else just restamps it..

Don't think I will beg and plead for this one.. you can have this one scott free..

It's been pre molestered, groped, and all ready been taken advantage of in disturbing unnatural ways.. Bet it would light up like a set of crusty hotel sheets with a UV light :o

I mean... we have a known gun humper on GB... now we have one who takes it to another level and openly confesses... rofl2 chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline newchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 03:05:14 PM »
I like it  thumb1 Interesting how they machine a flat for the serial, where everyone else just restamps it..

I liked that too, its now on my official, probably too expensive to buy but should look for list.