Author Topic: 1952 by mistake, with a plot twist. [PICS ADDED]  (Read 5157 times)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
1952 by mistake, with a plot twist. [PICS ADDED]
« on: September 04, 2018, 05:32:32 PM »
Made a mistake and bid on a beautiful 1952 Tula that I had assumed  was all matching.  Photos of the mismatched bolt were posted after I had already placed my bid. As luck would have it, mine ended up being the high bid, as all bidding came to an abrupt halt after pics of the mismatched bolt were posted.

The twist: I lodged a complaint with GB admin because of a fraudulent up-bidder, 'Valmetguygc' (account now cancelled). The winning bid was $555, but the seller let me have it for my previous High bid of  $455!

Looks like a possible non-refurb:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/783684631

More pics when it arrives. Probably next week.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:57:44 PM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: 1952 by mistake, with a plot twist.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 07:09:10 PM »
Wow, that shill bidder sucks. Glad he got booted  dead2

That MOTANICUS guy looks a bit off too  timeout, 2 F's and 3 A's give him a "B"? Not at my university  rofl

It's a pity about the mismatched bolt but the rest of it looks great. At $555 I'd be miffed but at $455 I think you did well thumb1

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 08:26:20 PM »
My sense is that he was NOT an actual 'shill'. But he's definitely got some issues.

He bid up to just one $5  bid  below my max. (Can sellers see the limits that potential buyers set as their max bids?). 

I'm glad he's gone, and feel fortunate the seller was willing to cut a fair deal.

The seller was very easy to communicate with, and from his correspondence came off as a stand up guy. He also has a longish history with excellent feedback standing.

He's got a beautiful, pristine-ish 1954 Tula up for sale now. I think $395 was the opening bid on a 13day auction. Had I not won this 1952, the 1954 would already have a high bid with my name on it.

Live. Learn.

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 10:21:57 PM »
Ive got plenty of Romanian non matching shooters but 455 for a non matching Russian is not a money loser these days. Glad you guys hashed things out. Sounds like he was an honest crook : )

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 10:23:52 PM »

How does a "non-refurb" get a swapped out Russian bolt?  didnt do

Looks like a good pickup.  Shill bidding drama aside, you won't lose money on this one should you decide it's not for you in the future.  Furniture looks quite nice.  thumb1

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 10:40:27 PM »

How does a "non-refurb" get a swapped out Russian bolt?  didnt do

Looks like a good pickup.  Shill bidding drama aside, you won't lose money on this one should you decide it's not for you in the future.  Furniture looks quite nice.  thumb1

I also wonder about the bolt. I asked if he was in contact with the previous owner, and might he possibly ask if they had the original bolt still. Seller replied that he had the rifle for 15 years...so, No.

It feels like a really good deal. I paid as much and more for my two Romy's (one mismatched).

Now I have a rifle I can tap and for a PU mount....

...kidding.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 10:42:26 PM »
Anyone know if GB Sellers can see the max bids placed by individual bidders prior to an acution ending?

Offline HookedonHooks

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 07:33:46 AM »
I too was watching this one, and if you ask me the seller was definitely doing something shady even if he seeemed honest and fair to deal with in communication.

The fairly thorough pictures at the beginning of the auction indicated and likely led all viewers to believe it was an all matching rifle. Once the price reached a certain  point then he adds pictures of the mismatched bolt, seems pretty shady to me.

It’s hard to tell if it was a true “Shill” or not, but I would venture to guess it was, otherwise the seller wouldn’t have backed down on the price probably.

Either way, nice pick up on a rifle, and for what came out to be not a bad price at all too!

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 08:18:14 AM »
Gotta love those 45 degree gas blocks....it is a crime about the bolt, but at least it's only internally mismatched. :)

Sucks you didn't end up getting what you thought you were paying for, but that is a damn sexy gun. I would be a little concerned about headspace, since it makes no sense that only the bolt is mismatching, that would lead me to think it was done stateside vs. at refurb....since nothing else seems refurbed.  The stake marks on the bayonet lead me to think it has never been removed. I would be glad to have that in my collection regardless of the bolt.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 08:29:49 AM »
I too was watching this one, and if you ask me the seller was definitely doing something shady even if he seeemed honest and fair to deal with in communication.

The fairly thorough pictures at the beginning of the auction indicated and likely led all viewers to believe it was an all matching rifle. Once the price reached a certain  point then he adds pictures of the mismatched bolt, seems pretty shady to me.

It’s hard to tell if it was a true “Shill” or not, but I would venture to guess it was, otherwise the seller wouldn’t have backed down on the price probably.

Either way, nice pick up on a rifle, and for what came out to be not a bad price at all too!

I asked him to post a picture of the bolt.  It took a few days, as he claimed he had no idea how to take the bolt out.  So I showed him how with a 30 second vid link.

There are no "matching" claims in the auction post. So it seemed a little curious that he'd owned the rifle for over 15 years but had no idea if the bolt matched. But he posted the photo as I requested , and I would guess others made similar requests.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:40:24 AM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 08:47:52 AM »
Gotta love those 45 degree gas blocks....it is a crime about the bolt, but at least it's only internally mismatched. :)

Sucks you didn't end up getting what you thought you were paying for, but that is a damn sexy gun. I would be a little concerned about headspace, since it makes no sense that only the bolt is mismatching, that would lead me to think it was done stateside vs. at refurb....since nothing else seems refurbed.  The stake marks on the bayonet lead me to think it has never been removed. I would be glad to have that in my collection regardless of the bolt.

It was  14 day auction. I was the High bid pretty soon after bidding began. I was expecting a surge on the last day -- two more five-dollar bids would have beaten me out for high bid-- but no such luck. Figures, though, as no further bids were made once the bolt photos posted.

It does look like a winner, though. Not a coveted collectible-- but very clean.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:03:42 AM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 09:06:32 AM »
Turns out that the seller has recently had at least two other rifles with winning bids by fraudulent bidders.

hmmmm.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/779815795

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/779727963

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 10:25:07 AM »
Anyone know if GB Sellers can see the max bids placed by individual bidders prior to an acution ending?

No, definitely not. I’ve sold a few dozen on GB and the bidders have no dollar amounts visible until after the auction is complete.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »
Picked it up wednesday.

Stock is in overall good condition with some cracks and peeling in the finish. Clean in and out, with  very light, internal coating of cosmoline. Metal retains 99%+ bluing. Bore is immaculate.
Came with a, pristine cleaning capsule, soviet sling, an Izhevsk oiler bottle (plastic), and one soviet stripper clip.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:03:13 PM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 04:57:06 PM »

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
Re: 1952 by mistake, with a plot twist. [PICS ADDED]
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 10:54:40 PM »
I hope your excited about that Russian because im fired up !! Wish I could post up one of those like that once a month !! Good Job Boris. You did exceptionally well.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »
I hope your excited about that Russian because im fired up !! Wish I could post up one of those like that once a month !! Good Job Boris. You did exceptionally well.

Thanks!

I am extremely happy with my foolish luck.

Plan to get this one and recent '51 catch out to the range this week-- possibly tomorrow. thumb1

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 08:18:55 PM »
We should petition the BATFE regarding using old school fonts when import marking....that's the only thing that bugs me about this sexy beast. The bolt is at least internal. :)

Well done! You don't see 'em like that in these parts.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 09:01:39 PM »
We should petition the BATFE regarding using old school fonts when import marking....that's the only thing that bugs me about this sexy beast. The bolt is at least internal. :)

I've never been put off by this particular import stamp-- or any of them for that matter, almost.

As long as they aren't the garrish, dot-matrix tapestries that many of the Mosin Nagants ended up with, import stamps have never really bothered me. Thankfully that practice never took hold with the sks imports.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 12:50:08 AM »

I've never been put off by this particular import stamp-- or any of them for that matter, almost.

As long as they aren't the garrish, dot-matrix tapestries that many of the Mosin Nagants ended up with, import stamps have never really bothered me. Thankfully that practice never took hold with the sks imports.

The Dot Matrix thing they did to the Mosins...including mine is what initially made me grumpy about import stamp existence at all...it should be somewhere hidden, but available should scrutiny be needed. My first experience with cold blue was nulling my T53's DM stamp at least smooth...and trying to match the gun so it didn't look like a skid mark.