Author Topic: Russian Tula 1957 odd refurb  (Read 3557 times)

Offline fernleaf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Russian Tula 1957 odd refurb
« on: October 26, 2018, 07:25:03 PM »
Picked this rifle up from one of the LGSs in trade for a Chinese M14.

It seems to have been refurbished by 'soneone' in 1975, but my knowledge on these are a little shaky.

There is a '/75' mark next to the serial number and is all matching apart from top cover and magazine.

Is this an Israeli capture PLO rifle? Egyptian maybe? There are traces of yellow paint on the stock that could have been a rack number.

I dont have the rifle in my hands yet, gotta wait for a permit so haven't go w over it in detail yet.

What's everyone's thoughts on it given the small amount of info I can provide?

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Russian Tula 1957 odd refurb
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 08:34:27 PM »
Very interesting!
I've seen only.one or two with a refurb date stamp, which is my guess regarding the '75'

Gonna need more photos for IC (israeli capture middle east gun)

Is there a serial number on the stock?

What about the yellow paint on  the stock?

Any indication that the stock was once a much darker shade of shellac?

Any large-ish numeral stamps on the metal surfaces of the receiver or bolt carrier?

If you click over to the Chinese Military sks sub forum, there is an info thread on the subject of middle east Israeli Captured guns.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 08:43:55 PM »
Just curious....where are you located?  :)  To need a permit... and I've never heard of an M14 traded for an SKS.. Even the Chinese ones around here start around $1250-1300+ for a beater shooter specimen.

Is an interesting marking.. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 08:47:02 PM »
There is also the number 5 stamped on the left rear receiver and left front charging handle.

I have one with arabic rack numbers and the number 6 in the places described.   It is non-import marked.

That's an interesting Russian.  I've only seen a couple others with the apparent date after the serial.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 10:51:20 PM »
Also of interest is the obliteration pf the 'tula star' on the left side of the receiver next to the S/N.  Are you in Europe OP? 

Offline fernleaf

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 11:57:30 PM »
Thanks for your input guys - once I have it in my hands early next week, I'll give it a good pull apart and report on any other interesting features I find.

I'm in New Zealand where Chinese M14s (Norinco M305s) can be had for the equivalent of USD$420, and Russian SKS' the equivalent of USD$650 - I think I got the good end of this deal!

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 01:50:24 AM »
I'll see if I can dig out mine sometime this weekend.  It has a lot of similarities to yours, Fernleaf.  And it has a few differences from the usual IC. 

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 08:34:27 AM »
hi fernleaf and welcome. good to have you here. a local LGS? looking forward to more info and pics.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 09:54:59 AM »
I dug mine out of the vault for pics this morning - very poor lighting as it is getting ready to snow (yes, snow).

But you will notice the similarity of the numbers on the receiver and bolt carrier.  The lack of numbering on the left buttstock, and the general moderate to heavy wear.

Mine has a very visible rack number on the right buttstock, 112.  The sling is heavily sweat stained, and still has body odor (eew).  And although the internal receiver and bolt group are spotlessly clean, there is still sand and other grit in the underside of the wood.

Not a usual Israeli Capture, as it has no import marks.  The extra numbering signifies issuance to an entity other than the Soviet Union, possibly a unit or repair depot identification.    Best guess?  It came back from one of the Gulf War operations.

Hope this helps.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 11:01:53 PM »
Two very interesting Russians  8) I’m a sucker for rack numbers and Middle Eastern connections.

Looking forward to more info on yours fernleaf. Has New Zealand received imports from Israel before? Do you have many firearms import companies? Are they required to mark firearms in any way?

Offline fernleaf

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 03:17:01 AM »
There are a few 'Israeli origin' firearms in New Zealand but most appear to have come in through Canada or Australia in the 80s. We don't have Import or Proof marks and there used to a few big import companies - now there's only one or two.

I picked the rifle up today, and quickly snapped a few photos once it was apart. Some features of note:-

No serial number on the stock
Some wood filler and spliced in beech repairs
A 'design' of sorts on the stock
Some sandy debris under the handguard and in the stock

The photos...

Nothing I can see screams out any clues to its history. It will be off to the range this weekend...

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
That heel repair looks a lot like one on my Egyptian FN49, but then heel repairs are not uncommon on milsurp firearm stocks and can't be used to attribute its residency in any one particular country. Looks like it could have been in the Middle East and thus an Israeli capture, but who knows.

Interesting SKS regardless of what story it will or won't tell  thumb1

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 09:27:11 PM »
Can you post a hd close-up photo of the left side fore end of the bolt carrier?

It's hard to tell if there is a number stamped there or  just a  ding in the metal.

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 12:19:34 AM »
Whatever was painted on the right rear is long gone.  But by the looks of the rub marks in the shellac, it could have been purposefully removed.

Yes.  Take pics of the number on the bolt carrier, and the one near the rear of the left receiver please.

Mine also has sand in the stock, but not as much as yours!  Nice gun.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 05:14:33 AM »
OH BOY! So I should quit dismissing "rack numbers"? I figured it just paint on a stock that is devaluing the gun. Any input on this subject appreciated.

Martin, when I look at that stock I would've guessed it says "1-1-7" how did you know that was Arabic? Just from experience with these or the other uncommon number stamps on the gun?

Thanks.