Author Topic: Upper caliber question(s)  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Upper caliber question(s)
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:08:31 AM »
Okay guys, I own an AR in 22LR(Chiappa Upper). I am wanting to set up an Upper that can serve for deer hunting as well as target shooting, but at the same time have something that would be ready for any SHTF scenario. I have been leaning towards the .223/5.56 platform(legal in my state to hunt deer with) with the 7.62x39 a close second.
I have been checking ammo prices and when comparing steel case to steel case in the 2 calibers they are about the same price whereas I can get brass cased .223/5.56 at about 3-5 cents more in the .223/5.56. Brass cased 7.62x39 is expensive and not a real consideration.
Bear in mind I do not reload.
I have heard and seen targets of x39 shot from an AR that had improved grouping over an SKS or AK and being .30 cal  theoretically at least should have more knock down power over the .223/5.56. Albeit, shorter range capability.
If I go with a .223/5.56 I would get a 1:7 or 1:8 twist to utilize the heavier grain rounds available for hunting and longer range shooting.
So, that is what I know about it and here are my questions;
1. Are current AR uppers set up to reliably use the steel cased poly coated ammo?
2. If so, does it create the need for more frequent cleaning in the chamber area?
3. Thinking that the .223/5.56 would have at least a slight edge on availability in any given scenario and that the pricing(at least for now) is about the same, does it make sense to get an upper in 7.62x39?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:15:42 AM by Greatguns »
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
Re: Upper caliber question(s)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 11:20:35 AM »
GG,

My 7.62x39 AR 15 16" carbine upper (SOTA Arms) runs fine on the steel cased stuff and the brass. No feed issues ever (so far). We use only the ASC 7.62x39 mags though. I put it together to test our G9 modified mags to see if they would run in both platforms. And they do. Accuracy is better from the AR than the SKS. Kick is not that much more than the 5.56. I clean after every shoot so it hasn't been an issue. IIRC, Texas won't let you deer hunt with less than a .243 cal. So the .223/5.56 is out. YMMV. I like the x39 upper. I suspect you will as well. Hope this helps a little.

Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 12:28:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply Marcus. .223 is legal in MO IIRC. I would be using 69-79gr SP, V-Max, or HP rounds for hunting if I go that direction.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply Marcus. .223 is legal in MO IIRC. I would be using 69-79gr SP, V-Max, or HP rounds for hunting if I go that direction.

I used to hunt deer with a bolt action Persian Mauser converted over to 25-06. I hand loaded all the rounds and it was zipping out over 3,000fps. It was a brutal round. The longest a deer remained standing was about 5 seconds after the shot. Not one ever ran off. They usually just folded up and dropped. The bullet was a Sierra (IIRC) 119gr, BTHP. It left massive wound cavity damage. Tiny entry wound and just exploded inside. Usually fragmented and left the rib cage on the other side a coffee cup saucer size destroyed. Can you get BTHP in the 69-79gr bullet? The BT will make it tumble on entry causing the damage.

Marcus

Teddy R.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 03:33:20 PM »
I know Hornady has BTHP in a 75gr Match bullet. Haven't looked at what else is out there.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 03:46:58 PM »
I know Hornady has BTHP in a 75gr Match bullet. Haven't looked at what else is out there.

I kept thinking about that old bullet. It was a spire point, BTHP with the 'banana' peal cuts inside the hp. It really ripped up the inside of an animal.

It looked a lot like this one:
https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/1650/257-dia-120-gr-HPBT

And I did load to max as they suggest.

Marcus
Teddy R.