Author Topic: Why all the hate for Hi-Point JHP45?  (Read 3360 times)

Offline SKS/Nut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
  • It Is What It Is
Why all the hate for Hi-Point JHP45?
« on: April 19, 2020, 10:06:56 AM »
I don't get it, the price can't be beat, makes this type of weapon a lot more approachable for someone wanting to get into a .45 Auto, Lifetime Warranty...the only cons I really see are size, weight and trigger pull. Oh yeah, and it's 'ugly'. After watching lover/hater videos, and how reasonably reliable the gun seems to be with both groups, I decided to go ahead and get one. There was one particular hater who did just about everything he could do to render the gun inoperable (including a bullet through the slider), and the gun still worked. So why all the hate from some? Granted, they're a minority when compared to the people who like them. Personally I don't care what a given item looks like, as long as it works, and yeah, it's a big gun, but I have big hands. And the trigger issue is from what I've seen, an easy fix. My only niggle with it is I wish it held more than 8+1. I suppose I could get an extended magazine for it, but I don't want to make an already 'ugly' gun more so. Not so much for my sake, but for those who would have to suffer beholding it...what do the rest of you guys think?
If You Choose Not To Decide You Still Have Made A Choice

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Why all the hate for Hi-Point JHP45?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 10:56:39 AM »
Ok.. I own numerous weapons.. and yes, I even own a .380 Hi-Point, bought it used from a former nay-sayer. I use mine for one thing only...it rides on a tractor with me during the spring through fall, it's been rained on, covered in mud and dust and run over once. It's for mercy use, you have to hear a deer stuck in a corn chopper to understand, and I have gotten a few groundhogs with it. A lot of the stigma I believe is the.... low price, think Saturday night special, low buck gangsta gun... low capacity... 8 to 10 isn't much in today's hicap world, and maybe manly shame and status.. how many dudes will jump at the opportunity to admit they own one vs. a Colt, Kimber or HK....plus they are big, ugly and heavy...

I'm not ashamed, it does work and it hits what I aim it at, if push come to shove, it's a dual purpose brick, a brick that goes bang and one can pummel the hell out of someone if they get close enough after the mag is empty. And I really have no shame.. I've even considered getting the Hi-Point 10mm carbine recently.... :) figure it's a quarter to a third of the price of a Kriss Vector...... and if it can stand up to the 10mm, which I love, with the same life time warranty as the pistol, then why not.. I cant see the ugly looking down the sights. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 11:24:30 AM »
I don't own a Hi Point pistol, but I do own an older 995 9mm carbine that I bought from a guy that said he was the second owner.

I was fooling around one day and knocked it over and busted the front sight tower. Broke it right in half.
I called them and told them up front that it was my fault.
They sent me not only the part I broke, but a complete front sight tower assembly as well.

That sort of customer service will likely keep me as a customer.

I've never even held one of their pistols, but they're not really something I'd go on the hunt for, but you never know.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 12:51:59 PM »
A lot of the stigma I believe is the.... low price, think Saturday night special, low buck gangsta gun... low capacity... 8 to 10 isn't much in today's hicap world, and maybe manly shame and status.. how many dudes will jump at the opportunity to admit they own one vs. a Colt, Kimber or HK....plus they are big, ugly and heavy...

This!  declare1

Bad reputations (deserved or not) are notoriously tough to shake. How many would admit to getting their clothes from K-Mart in the early 90’s.

My first firearm i ever bought myself was a used break open, single shot New England Firearms, 12 gauge Pardner.  Got it at a pawn shop After a good bit of haggling and still have the receipt that shows it was $59.99 out the door. This was back in 1994 and i was a starving college sophomore.  It’s certainly not any type of collectors item, but you know what?  I’ve put 1000’s of shells through that thing during many a clay pigeon session and never once has it ever hiccuped. Never once.  I don’t think i missed out not getting a top of the line Remington.  dntknw1

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 01:24:51 PM »
I bought one many years ago but never fired it before selling it.  I did not hate it but unfortunately for me with medium sized hands, the grip was a bit too large for me.  Also, I did find it a bit "too heavy" for my liking.  I should have actually personally tried one out for "fit and finish" before I ordered it to be delievered to my recieving ffl.  I am not a hater of hipoint firearms as I own the 995 classic "monkey gun" and as soon as the new C9 Yeet Cannons are available for sale I am going to get me one of them. 

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 01:52:44 PM »
The JHP 45 has been known to crack the frame after a given amount of discharges. This is something particular to that caliber for HP. the other caliber pistols they make have not had that issue. That, to my knowledge, is the only legitimate reason to dis that pistol. I had been told they were going to quite making it due to that reason. They may have re-engineered it though, not sure.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline astronut

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 02:14:07 PM »
The JHP 45 has been known to crack the frame after a given amount of discharges. This is something particular to that caliber for HP. the other caliber pistols they make have not had that issue. That, to my knowledge, is the only legitimate reason to dis that pistol. I had been told they were going to quite making it due to that reason. They may have re-engineered it though, not sure.
Interesting info.  I have not heard of that or was aware of that before.  Do you have any reliable sources that has stated that?  I am not saying that you are wrong or correct, I am just interested in the claim.   ;)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 03:13:42 PM »
the grip was a bit too large for me.  Also, I did find it a bit "too heavy" for my liking. 

I have big paws, my Desert Eagle makes the HP45 I handled seem like a compact and makes the HP380 like a sub-compact.

Offline SKS/Nut

• Newber
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 03:22:43 PM »
Thing that sold me on it was the hater video I previously described, he ran over the gun with an F250 Ford Crew-Cab, I mean, that's gotta be a 3-and-a-piece ton vehicle, took a big glob of pond scum to it, threw it instead of putting it down, and the gun functioned despite all the punishment. Even with a bullet through it it still fired and cycled...price and bad-rap aside, that's gotta say something for the gun. But then, I always seem to 'root for the underdog', and all I'm really going to be doing with mostly it is shooting paper targets at the range. I've shot big-bore revolvers before, never owned a pistol, let alone a S.A. This'll be my first, and who knows? If I like what it is/does, it could be a stepping stone to something of better quality/usability...see what the 'ol clunker can do when I get it...

Offline astronut

• Marksman
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 03:29:30 PM »
Thing that sold me on it was the hater video I previously described, he ran over the gun with an F250 Ford Crew-Cab, I mean, that's gotta be a 3-and-a-piece ton vehicle, took a big glob of pond scum to it, threw it instead of putting it down, and the gun functioned despite all the punishment. Even with a bullet through it it still fired and cycled...price and bad-rap aside, that's gotta say something for the gun. But then, I always seem to 'root for the underdog', and all I'm really going to be doing with mostly it is shooting paper targets at the range. I've shot big-bore revolvers before, never owned a pistol, let alone a S.A. This'll be my first, and who knows? If I like what it is/does, it could be a stepping stone to something of better quality/usability...see what the 'ol clunker can do when I get it...

But, Glocks can shoot underwater although they are a bit more expensive!   rofl  Just messing with you. 

Offline SKS/Nut

• Newber
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 03:36:08 PM »
This same guy threw the gun in the water, waded in grabbed it, it was covered in mud/algae/dead-frogs, and emptied the magazine into the water, which probably wasn't the greatest idea, but it still worked, despite whatever this guy tried to do to it, it kept on tickin'. Got mine from classic firearms, so now just waiting to hear from FFL to go pick it up...

Offline astronut

• Marksman
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 03:47:40 PM »
This same guy threw the gun in the water, waded in grabbed it, it was covered in mud/algae/dead-frogs, and emptied the magazine into the water, which probably wasn't the greatest idea, but it still worked, despite whatever this guy tried to do to it, it kept on tickin'. Got mine from classic firearms, so now just waiting to hear from FFL to go pick it up...
I saw that video.  But, like I said, Glocks can fire while totally submergered underwater!   ;)   rofl

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 05:07:52 PM »
i will have to take a look at them, i'm a cheap oldfart.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline astronut

• Marksman
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 05:23:06 PM »
i will have to take a look at them, i'm a cheap oldfart.  thumb1
In my opinion, they are worth what one pays for them!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 06:45:40 PM »
Interesting info.  I have not heard of that or was aware of that before.  Do you have any reliable sources that has stated that?  I am not saying that you are wrong or correct, I am just interested in the claim.   ;)

As I recall, back several years when I was working at a gun shop doing some gunsmith work we were told that by one of our vendors. Went to Hi-Point's website and they are indeed still selling them so they must have just figured out the issue and fixed it. This would have been around 2014/2015. I moved to Los Angeles in May of 2016 for my wife's work and was totally out of the firearm scene until I just recently moved back to MO. (YAY!!!)
Anyway, that is all I have to go on. Vendor, of course, could have been just spewing BS, but I had no reason to doubt the guy.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Gashog

• Newber
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 09:58:51 AM »
Never seen one and never knew anyone else that has seen the .45 with a cracked frame. I have fired mine ALOT! Plus they are no uglier than a Glock. I own a .45, .45 Carbine and a .380. They all always go bang!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 10:19:12 AM »

Lots of pistols can exhibit slide cracks and failures.. no one particular brand/model/type/caliber is totally immune, even Glocks, Berettas, Rugers, and the highly vaulted 1911. Some get lucky and hammer out over 50,000 rounds out of a weapon, the next guy barely breaks a 1000 rounds with the same weapon.. law of probability..  Like any weapon, you shoot it enough, it will fail, and just like cars, you drive it enough, it will fail.  Every shot and every mile is just a step closer to a failure.

And most likely you will hear alot about the one that failed, because product negativity is easy, no one really hears about the 10000 made before or 10000 made after that one that broke.

But... Lifetime warranty baby... and usually a free mag if you "accidentally" forget to send yours in with it.  thumb1 thumb1

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 10:28:40 AM »

But... Lifetime warranty baby... and usually a free mag if you "accidentally" forget to send yours in with it.  thumb1 thumb1

And they're serious about that. I've heard many people talk about it. It's a "no BS" type of thing and not limited to the original buyer.
I'd get another of their carbines any day of the week. The 9mm I have will do anything I ask of it.
I embarrassed a buddy that had his Colt 9mm AR at the range one day. We were shooting golf balls. Well, I was shooting golf balls and he was scaring them to death....  rofl
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 04:13:18 PM »
Wait, they make a Carbine in 10mm??!!  Holy scheisse,  they do!!!  I have the .45 Carbine and haven't had any problems with it, but I didn't know they made it in 10mm.  GM, you just made my day!!  I'm gonna get that to go with my high end RIA 1911 in 10mm wink1.  I just wish they made a 10mm pistol.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 04:22:48 PM »
Wait, they make a Carbine in 10mm??!!  Holy scheisse,  they do!!!  I have the .45 Carbine and haven't had any problems with it, but I didn't know they made it in 10mm.  GM, you just made my day!!  I'm gonna get that to go with my high end RIA 1911 in 10mm wink1.  I just wish they made a 10mm pistol.

You've just been ENABLED  thumb1 rofl2

I have a Glock 20, and a S&W 1006 and a 1076  :)