Author Topic: Hello from NC  (Read 957 times)

Offline Timman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Hello from NC
« on: August 04, 2021, 12:14:13 PM »
Hello from North Carolina!  During some research on SKS rifles, I stumbled across this forum and had to join since I recently jumped head first into the SKS world!

This past year I was reflecting on a time I can remember, probably mid 1980’s, when I was at a small gun show in the town I lived in.  One table at the show, a guy was selling Chinese SKS rifles still in cosmoline and some packed in the original crates they were imported in.  He was selling them for what is now a stupid low price, maybe $75 each, buy a crate of 3 or 4 and get a further discount off the individual price.  I’m sure many on this forum have similar memories, and like me they look back and say “If only I had bought a crate or two!”  I also remember at that time I was trying to justify buying some and I think I said to myself…”Heck, I’ll buy some of those one day!”

So, fast forward about 35 years and that one day has finally arrived!  Over the past few months I have been researching and watching the market and have put together a nice small collection that should keep me busy for a while.  I’ve picked up four SKS rifles so far, three Chinese and one Russian, each is in great condition and has all matching parts.  One of the Chinese rifles appears to be a first year production Ghost, that Norinco got ahold of and put through a refurb and turned it into a Paratrooper model…so very cool and I’m thinking very rare.  The Russian looks like it just rolled out of the factory and appears to be another rare one, a late model built around 1958.  Another Chinese is a pristine 9 million series Arsenal 26, built around 1965.  And the last Chinese is a pristine 12 million series Arsenal 26, built around 1968 and with a beautiful laminated stock.  The last Chinese I plan to use as a “shooter grade” just because I got it at such a good price and need one I won’t feel too bad about shooting!

Anyway, enjoying the forum and hope interest and participation keeps going strong!  Thanks to all those that have come before and contributed a lot of interesting and useful resource material!!!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Hello from NC
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 12:40:57 PM »
Glad to have you on the Files!  thumb1

Sounds like you're building up quite the collection in a short amount of time after 35 years of sitting on the sidelines!  Better late then never for certain!  Post up your babies if you're able to, everyone here loves to oooh and ahhh over new acquisitions (well at least I do, I live vicariously through our members often impressive collections)!

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 01:03:09 PM »
Welcome from NH. Yeah, I remember way back when the cost on SKS's were about $35 ea to the dealers. Those were the days.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 04:00:23 PM »
hi neighbor and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro. sounds like a beautiful collection.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 06:05:29 PM »
Welcome from the Pacific Northwest; Tri-cities, WA!  :)

I didn't get into the game until 2013, so the cheap prices of my era were $250-300 for Chinese SKSs imported from Albania. Crates of 4 for the same price are merely a daydream for me. Nowadays, filling slots in the collection requires patient searching and/or $$.

I'm with RM, we'd love to see pictures of your acquisitions  thumb1

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 06:20:46 PM »
Welcome from Kentucky/Colorado!!!  Ditto on the pix wink1.

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 11:28:13 AM »
Welcome aboard from Cali! 'Bargains' can still be found - Search the interweb for "Stragand SKS" for a comprehensive set of daily for sale listings.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 11:31:02 AM »
Welcome from Kansas City, MO
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 02:46:50 PM »
Howdy, from Ohio

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 03:31:40 PM »
Hey Timman.
Welcome from Arizona.

I spent a bit of time in Gaston County a while back.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7