Author Topic: ON-2 optics for yugo sks rifles  (Read 3421 times)

Offline teddybear1848

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
ON-2 optics for yugo sks rifles
« on: January 18, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »
Ok where should I start here. Over a year ago I won a very peculiar yugo m59/66 SKS that had a device mounted to the side to mount some sort of optic so after I halfheartedly won the rifle I had no idea down the rabbit hole it would take me. After about 8 months of research and asking around i began to realize that I had a one of a kind thing that anything short of a trip to bosnia would not even give me the slightest odds of finding it. Due to my research I learned of what could possibly be closest to it and set out to find the next best thing. That led to me picking this very rare ON-2 Optic package with mounting hardware and everything. An associate in Bosnia went to Croatia to get it for me. (only cost me a kidney) My plan now is to duplicate the mount and customize it to the one oddball rifle in my possession to make it as close to original as possible. Now that leaves me with this rare Scope and mounting system with no rifle to put it on. (less than 200 of these scopes were made and most were destroyed in their civil war) I know there are a handful of rifles out there that were imported and were either drilled or tapped or even had the mount base. So now I begin the second phase of the hunt and am offering $100 bounty to anyone that can lead me to having one end up in my possession. Pics are of my Scope and hardware, the rifle i will be duplicating to fit, Examples of what rifle I am looking for, and a complete one from a friend in Slovenia. Thanks for reading by wall of text.

"Is that actually a bucket of cat litter or is it 7.62 Nato?" - My better half.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Re: ON-2 optics for yugo sks rifles
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 10:48:21 PM »
I'm not that familiar with the Yugoslav 59/66's that were imported with mounts. I passed on buying because of the lack of available mounts/scopes. If I'm reading your post correctly, the rifle you now own is the one with the three screws, (two thumbscrews and a threaded stud), and the smaller round centering post at the rear of the mount? And, the mount that you're trying to use is the one with the forward single thumbscrew with the locking nut with the larger round centering post at the rear? AND, the two mounts shown in the 2nd and 3rd to last photos are the ones presently offered? Am I close?  :)

There is an old thread over on Gunboards.com that has a user that bought three of the Yugo M59/66 rifles with that mount. He was only able to find one of the ON-2 mounts and scope. He MAY have one or two left? Dunno? May be worth a query? Here's the link to the thread:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?285879-Yugo-59-66-with-ON-2-Scope-and-Mount-New-addition-to-my-Collection

I'll look around a little. Hope it works out for you. What was the ON-2 system originally set up for? The reason I ask is the last pic in your post of the complete rifle still "over there" has the scope mounted almost mid receiver. Not quite, but at least 2" forward of where your mount sets. Will that mess with what you're trying to do?

firstchoice

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 11:29:29 PM »
You may have already talked with this gentleman.....but I purchased a 7.62 cammed ON-2 scope from him in the past......http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yugoslavia-JNA-ZRAK-scope-ON-2-25mm-1-RARE-SCOPE-/222114068715?hash=item33b707b8eb:g:jz0AAOSw8vZXMhi0

Offline teddybear1848

• Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »
I have the scope and mount. I bought it to duplicate as the mount I got on the rifle from you on gunbroker PA is neither a typical ON-2 mount or ON-2L mount. I am looking for the correct rifle to put the ON-2 optics on.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 06:58:48 PM »
I understood your post......was thinking he could be a lead for the mount. Pat

Offline teddybear1848

• Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 07:02:14 PM »
Pa adams. After doing research about the mount I need  I think it might have been a one of a kind type deal. After much research and not being able to find the picture I have a couple hypothisis of the origin. The only way i could maybe possibly find the original is if I went there myself to look and then its a big if. I have a good friend with a CNC mill to copy the ON-2 base that I have and I will base my reproduction off that.