Author Topic: Yugoslavian SKS Restoration Questions  (Read 13480 times)

Offline Jenro84

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Yugoslavian SKS Restoration Questions
« on: November 26, 2016, 07:02:43 PM »
I just got a sks with a bunch of mods done to it. I want to restore it back to how it was originally. I dont have any info about it at all. I only have the serial numbers stamped on it. How can I find out the make, model, year manufactured?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:23:14 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Yugoslavian SKS Restoration Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 08:25:37 PM »
Hi jenro84, welcome aboard. I gave your question its own post with a title I thought reflected your question.

Can you post some pictures of the whole rifle and markings to start us off?

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 09:15:54 PM »
Yes Pics would really help allot. Is it a M59 or M59/66 or do you know ?

Offline Jenro84

• Newber

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 08:28:02 PM »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 08:39:08 PM »
An early, D block, M59/66 made in 1967. The "D" serial numbers were in the 50-81K region.

Needs receiver cover, stock and handguard (besides the M59/66 type bayonet and collar) to return it to original configuration. Not too difficult.

Offline Jenro84

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 09:49:25 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the info! And Power Surge, yeah I do want to put the bayonet back on it! What do you want for yours and the collar?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 10:14:32 PM »
Dont forget about the spring and screw for that bayo and collar.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 11:01:12 PM »
That appears to have been rearsenaled. I have one 2k later than yours but mine still has no night sights and the early ported grenade launcher.

Yours probably got a new barrel at some point, and they gave it the whole treatment.  So a full restore would be difficult.  I know you can find the ported grenade launchers fairly regularly, but I don't know so much about the non night sight leaf, which probably would be the same as an M59. Then you have to consider the gas block FSB is totally different for the night sights, that would be a chore to find, and swap out.

That might be further than you want to go on a restore though. :)

With the night sights, you can use whichever type of Yugo sling you like, although the appropriate one would be leather for this series.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:42:57 PM by Justin Hell »

Offline Jenro84

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 11:13:41 PM »
Ive been keeping my eye out on a few different sites for wood stocks and hand guards. Is the bayonet cutout on the stock a must to fit properly or will the bayo still fold back with a non cutout stock?  Anyone have a site theyd recommend? Also thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 07:23:14 AM »
If you get a proper 59/66 stock.... it WILL be blade cut, and the 59/66 stock cut length for the bayo is specific and not the same as other models.   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 11:56:32 AM »
That appears to have been rearsenaled. I have one 2k later than yours but mine still has no night sights and the early ported grenade launcher.

Yours probably got a new barrel at some point, and they gave it the whole treatment.  So a full restore would be difficult.  I know you can find the ported grenade launchers fairly regularly, but I don't know so much about the non night sight leaf, which probably would be the same as an M59. Then you have to consider the gas block is totally different for the night sights, that would be a chore to find, and swap out.

That might be further than you want to go on a restore though. :)

With the night sights, you can use whichever type of Yugo sling you like, although the appropriate one would be leather for this series.

That sounds more like a restore....and an upgrade  think1

Ok.. if his has no night sights, wouldn't that be a M59/66... ain't that what Yugoslavia did later, slap night sights on it and call it a M59/66A1. Now, by all rights, it is an early one, and was or should of been a M59/66 at birth, the first of the 4 variants of the M59/66 family, not the night sighted A1 in it's original form.  Am I wrong, miss a memo or something, the M59/66 had no night sights and the A1 variant the night sights were added. So, in the end it may have gotten little or no "whole treatment", instead it was pulled off rack, boxed and shipped.

Hit it with a receiver cover, stock, bayonet and a handguard, maybe chunk a ported spigot on it as a final touch...Done, M59/66 complete.  Throw the night sight garbage totally out the window....cause they were never there from birth.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 01:02:33 PM »
It was most likely refurbed at some pont and received the night sights anyhow.  I wouldn't be concerned about that... 

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
Jenro, if you're lost in this conversation (I know I would have been when I was new to the SKS), here's a bit of background info for you.

Yugoslavian production of the SKS progressed in a pretty straightforward manner.  First came the M59 variant, which for all intents and purposes (minus the non-chromed barrel and different wood types), is virtually identical to your generic Romanian, Chinese, or Russian SKS.  These M59s consist of Long Barreled Yugos, B Block, and C Block S/Ns.  At the D S/N block, the design was changed to the M59/66 with a permanently attached grenade launcher, grenade sight ladder, rubber recoil pad, and manual gas valve in the gas block.  From there Night sights were added and this gives us the M59/66A1 variant. 

This is what the front sight block looked like off of a D block M59/66 w/o the night sights:

And then notice the slightly different FSB with the flip up blade when the night sights were used:

Very few D blocks in original M59/66 condition exist.  I have not seen E block or beyond guns that do not have the night sights installed.

The original grenade launcher used from block D through block I was a square backed ported design which look like this:

As the years progressed and the design changed, the GL changed to a square backed unported design:

And the final GL change went to an angle backed unported design:

When Justin talks about getting the rifle back into ORIGINAL condition, he means an original D block M59/66.  This is quite a bit of work including finding parts that would require a ton of searching.  I think most here would say that it's probably not worth it considering what you;re starting with.  Now to simply unbubba the gun, get a Yugo stock & hanguard, replacement receiver cover, and a new bayo & components and you should be golden. thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 03:14:53 PM »
Hey Rm...   That angled back portion of the GL you show is actually part of the FSB. 

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 09:36:34 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the info! And Power Surge, yeah I do want to put the bayonet back on it! What do you want for yours and the collar?

Sent ya a PM.

Offline Jenro84

• Newber
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 10:03:27 PM »
Running man, that was very helpful! Thank you!! I was lost! Haha

Offline Jenro84

• Newber
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 10:08:19 PM »
So maybe this is a silly question but, is the stock of a m59/66 different than the stock of a 66A1?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 10:31:45 PM »
So maybe this is a silly question but, is the stock of a m59/66 different than the stock of a 66A1?

Not a silly Q, but they are the same.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 11:16:29 PM »
Hey Rm...   That angled back portion of the GL you show is actually part of the FSB.

You know, deep down I knew that but I always lump them in with the GL. chuckles1

The change from square backed to angle backed occurred somewhere between the R and S blocks, so the transition was between 1980 to 1981.  thumb1