Author Topic: Romanian M69 trainer question.  (Read 2237 times)

Offline rebfarmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Romanian M69 trainer question.
« on: December 25, 2018, 03:11:03 PM »
Hello,
This is my first post here so I hope I am doing it correct.

My question is. Would it detract from the value of the M69 Romanian trainer to refinish the stock? I have one that the stock's finish is showing aging cracks and is scratched and dinged up. What would be the best finish to use do replicate the original?

Thanks!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Romanian M69 trainer question.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 03:54:21 PM »
If you want to preserve the collector’s value of the rifle, then leave it alone. They’ve dried up from the retailers and are increasing in value.

If you’re primarily interested in a functional shooter and are not concerned with resale value then refinish it to your preferences. I don’t have one so I’m not sure if the original finish was shellac, that’s my guess.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Romanian M69 trainer question.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 10:39:22 PM »
Welcome.... thumb1, and Merry Christmas
Like he said... basically it's yours... but in the end and future it will be worth less in value.....remember, many a trainer like an Enfield trainer, a MAS 45, even the commercial Norinco TU-KKW and TU33-40 started out as a low buck rimfire, but after quite a few years try and touch a nice one for less than 4 or 500 bucks.

I bought both of these while they were in retail... they were fairly cheap, like 150...175 or something... now the few I've seen for sale are pushing 300 for nice ones. The only thing I have done is clean them up, and the red stock one sports the original style Quik-Site scope mount.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem