Author Topic: In a debate with myself  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
In a debate with myself
« on: October 17, 2020, 11:43:49 AM »
So, since I moved back from Cali and am starting over with SHTF gear, I am trying to decide best way to set up as concerns firearms. I thought I would ask those here who are better prepared and more knowledgeable than I.
Here's what I have atm;
1 - Hi-Point 995 Carbine w/6-15rnd mags in pouch ready to go(90rnds total) plenty of 9mm in ammo cans.
1 - SKS limited to 5 rnds specifically set up for hunting(scope only, mag can obviously be changed out)
3 - SKS in OEM format each with a 180rnd bandolier and 300rnd ammo box. All ammo on stripper clips.
1 - SKS(my daughter's) in Tapco stock w/5-20rnd mags and 1-10rnd mag. (Currently enough ammo to load the mags.)
1 - SKS scoped in Choate conventional w/detachable 30rnd crap mag.
1 - MC-5D w/1-5rnd mag and 7-20rnd mags in a bandolier.

Here is what I have been asking myself;
1. Should I get another pouch and 5 more mags for the 995 which would give me 165rnds on hand?
2. Where I live 10rnd capacity is legal for hunting(and if SHTF who cares) should I trade the hunting rifle for more ammo as I've distributed most of what I have? OR, keep it and sell something else?
3. Concerning reliability, clips vs. detachable mags, and the MC-5D. Known issue with the MC-5D is that larger cap mags are heavier and tend to drop out of this SKS. The 20rnd KCI mags seem to work well and stay, but getting them inserted is definitely a learned process and a bit awkward.(it is a lot easier to insert a Tapco duckbill for me) SO, do I sell/trade off the MC-5D for more ammo or a regular SKS?(reference question 2)
4. Also as in #3, I can restore the SKS in the Choate stock back to a box mag and stripper clips thus setting it up with a loaded bandolier and 300rnd ammo box or was thinking of getting the ProMag LVX 20rnd mags which are highly reputed and QD even more than other duckbill mags??

In all this I am also thinking consistency and ease of use for other members of the family who may need to borrow one.

Thanks for your input fellas.

EDIT: Something I thought of, while reading Justin's last comment, concerning ease of field pickup, etc. AK mags probably, SKS Duckbill mags not so much. This also brings up stowage of used/empty mags to reuse them vs. stripper clips. This, I would think, would give clips the advantage as they are much easier to stick back into the bandolier pocket to preserve for later reuse whereas an empty detachable mag of whatever type will be heavier and more awkward to lug around.  And it is hard to beat the reliability of the OEM box mag.
Hmmmm, more food for thought.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 12:43:34 PM by Greatguns »
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: In a debate with myself
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »
So, since I moved back from Cali and am starting over with SHTF gear, I am trying to decide best way to set up as concerns firearms. I thought I would ask those here who are better prepared and more knowledgeable than I.
Here's what I have atm;
1 - Hi-Point 995 Carbine w/6-15rnd mags in pouch ready to go(90rnds total) plenty of 9mm in ammo cans.
1 - SKS limited to 5 rnds specifically set up for hunting(scope only, mag can obviously be changed out)
3 - SKS in OEM format each with a 180rnd bandolier and 300rnd ammo box. All ammo on stripper clips.
1 - SKS(my daughter's) in Tapco stock w/5-20rnd mags and 1-10rnd mag. (Currently enough ammo to load the mags.)
1 - SKS scoped in Choate conventional w/detachable 30rnd crap mag.
1 - MC-5D w/1-5rnd mag and 7-20rnd mags in a bandolier.

Here is what I have been asking myself;
1. Should I get another pouch and 5 more mags for the 995 which would give me 165rnds on hand?  Sounds reasonable, common caliber to find
2. Where I live 10rnd capacity is legal for hunting(and if SHTF who cares) should I trade the hunting rifle for more ammo as I've distributed most of what I have? OR, keep it and sell something else?
3. Concerning reliability, clips vs. detachable mags, and the MC-5D. Known issue with the MC-5D is that larger cap mags are heavier and tend to drop out of this SKS. The 20rnd KCI mags seem to work well and stay, but getting them inserted is definitely a learned process and a bit awkward.(it is a lot easier to insert a Tapco duckbill for me) SO, do I sell/trade off the MC-5D for more ammo or a regular SKS?(reference question 2)  Seems like the weakest link in your 7.62 but without any problems yet? Hmmm...I kinda want one.... :P
4. Also as in #3, I can restore the SKS in the Choate stock back to a box mag and stripper clips thus setting it up with a loaded bandolier and 300rnd ammo box or was thinking of getting the ProMag LVX 20rnd mags which are highly reputed and QD even more than other duckbill mags?? Fun gun for now, have stuff onhand for stripper use should it become necessary, and get the mag for the time being If it's raining, use this one first. :)

In all this I am also thinking consistency and ease of use for other members of the family who may need to borrow one.
This is always something to consider, how's the family with strippers vs AK/Duckbill swaps? You can carry more in a bandolier vs mags

Thanks for your input fellas.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 12:39:16 PM »
Sounds like a reasonable enough setup should you have to exchange fire.
I like a pump shotty, 10/22 & .22 side arm, and I'd have a .308 or some other scoped long ranger. PAX
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 12:59:53 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 12:53:58 PM »
I'm just gonna throw it out there, multi caliber weapons a lever action or revolver would be my go to.... 38spl/357mag, 44spl/44mag, 327Fedmag plus 5 other calibers, a 45Long Colt/.410 gauge. Something like that adds versatility and could make a difference. Even a 10mm can sometimes do a 40s&w with not much issue... I wouldn't trust it everyday, but hard desperate times, you adapt and work with what you got and can find. Even a common run of the mill .30-30 lever or bolt gun, talk about a common caliber.... I've even considered a x39 bolt gun just to have floating around.

All the modern high cap semi stuff is wonderful, but adds critical failure points and more moving parts.. Bolt, lever and revolvers typically just work, there's no extra weight or bulk of hauling mags, function and simplicity is name of the game in the.... Oh sh!t, hang on Bertha we're in for a fu&cking ride!!!!!!  game in my book..  you can protect as well as eat, and most aren't looking for fire fights, it becomes dodge and evade. A 357mag from a lever action or any rifle period is a rather stout round, I would never hesitate to stake my life on it, even a 38spl from the same can drop a deer quick and clean. 

Would I consider semis, yup, if I was able to stay close to home, but if I had to go walkabout, a lever and revolver of the same caliber is what I'd choose, and a bag of ammo. No mags, just ammo, toilet paper and Oreos.  thumb1

But, that's just my .000002 cents worth as a Appalachian American.  rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 01:06:50 PM »
Okay, that's all good info guys, but is really off topic to my OP.
I have a shotgun and a .22lr rifle. I also have family members that have a plethera of calibers. We have a central location to fall back to to consolidate.
I am not trying to get a best caliber scenario for SHTF, Just wanting to work out questions I have concerning these 2 calibers and my inventory as to tweaking what I have for best case scenario.

I really do like the Oreos part though. Definitely something to add to each BOB. thumb1
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 01:39:40 PM »
Between the options you have listed..... I say keep it simple, on the SKSs, ditch the mags and extras during SHTF and run strippers, no mags, less weight = more strippers full of ammo. They function just fine with out all the extras, and it's just extra stuff to keep up with, care for or go wrong. Keep the setup for normal "civilized" times.

Maybe keep a way to default the 995 to stock operation and function should something happen along the way.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 01:42:42 PM »
What Phos GM said (fixed  it, my bad) as to reliability.
Amongst all the other iron,  I've levers and revolvers in .41 & .357,  which I view as walk about or working  carry.

As each individual's habitat and needs varies for the dynamics of any given calamity, you need to be flexible. There's no one size fits all scenarios. Because I'm in a highly efficient ag production rural location with geografic barriers that provide easily defensible positions,  there's no need for " bugging out". There's enough stores to weather  a number of growing seasons, and an entire hamlet of skilled combatants.

The general atmosphere is not warm and fuzzy these days. It wouldn't take too much to upset the apple cart and have it all go bad, but it would most likely start with the metro areas first. By  then the cat will be outta the bag and the community will have time to muste.

As far as I'm concerned there's no middle ground. It's either going to be a temporary bump in the road,  or it's all gone south. PAX
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 04:35:03 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »
Whatever you choose to use for a SHTF scenario, GET OUT AND PRACTICE WITH IT!!!!

That being said, for the same scenario, for self/home defense, you should already have a rifle capable of accepting minimum 30 round mags. By this time you should also have a hand gun capable of accepting a minimum of 15 round mags. A 20 or 12 gauge shotgun - pump or auto.

Those who hunt likely already have what they need for that purpose.

We should all have or get a scoped bolt/lever/pump action 30 caliber rifle AND a revolver.

I will add that, whether or not you like them, you should have had an AR type rifle a year ago when you could have built one for about 300 bucks. Not gonna happen again in the near future.

Just my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it....
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 02:12:46 PM »
I forgot to add  it's the luck of the draw. All the prep don't do a lick of good if you're killed in a car wreck racing home,  stuck at the airport /train station , or far from your base of operation.  PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 02:28:59 PM »
What Phos said as to reliability.

Phos.... who???  :)

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 07:12:17 PM »
For SHTF guns that anyone can use the SKS would not be my choice opposed to an AK-47 type with a 75rnd continuous drum mag,or even a common chest rig with 30rnd mags.Very simple and no fumbling with stripper clips and such.Thar's my opinion.Not to take anything away from a SKS but from a simplicity standpoint the AK is shorter with more firepower and extremely reliable and rugged.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 01:50:30 AM »
For SHTF guns that anyone can use the SKS would not be my choice opposed to an AK-47 type with a 75rnd continuous drum mag,or even a common chest rig with 30rnd mags.Very simple and no fumbling with stripper clips and such.Thar's my opinion.Not to take anything away from a SKS but from a simplicity standpoint the AK is shorter with more firepower and extremely reliable and rugged.

I'd pick the Vz58 handsdown over the AK anyday, a pound lighter, slightly more accurate rifle, machined reciever, that recoils less, has lighter 30rd magazines and you can still load it with SKS stripper clips if needed. Same fire power, same length, in a just as reliable, rugged, lighter slightly more accurate package. Yes, I own both, several Ak variants and 2 Vz58s, over the years, the Vz has seriously grown on me versus the AK.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 07:41:21 AM »
  You need a crew  

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 07:49:37 AM »

We are going to have to ask you to leave the files now!  rofl rofl rofl

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 11:47:04 AM »
My bad GM. PAX

What Phos said as to reliability.

Phos.... who???  :)

Phos/GM, Jonny/Jimmy...who can tell  rofl

GM pretty much took the words out of my mouth on the stripper clips for the SKS  :)

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 10:40:21 PM »
Factory M59 Yugos and ? caliber Glocks with sticks out the bottom. Probably the 40 cal G35 OR 22 since I have a LOT of ammo.

really good thread GG Many good suggestion, solutions and grease monkeys chuckles1 Just never know what he's bringing to the party  chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 12:10:50 AM »

really good thread GG Many good suggestion, solutions and grease monkeys chuckles1 Just never know what he's bringing to the party  chuckles1

I coulda suggested my Model 83 454 Casull hand howitzer..  rofl

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 11:41:42 PM »

I coulda suggested my Model 83 454 Casull hand howitzer..  rofl

Oh Boy ! Pics of 454 Casull or it didn't happen. chuckles1 I like your idea of 10mm 40 cal combo to be honest.  thankyou1