Author Topic: Modify the firing pins or Modify the fp hole in the bolt face?  (Read 1511 times)

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
I have an all matching 1969 Albanian. The fp hole in the bolt face is out of spec-- too narrow. Standard firing pins barely break the surface of the bolt face.

I have tried "albanian", soviet (typeI and II) and chinese firing pins. NONE of them fit.

The firing pin that came with the rifle is modified (not by me) to fit. It appears to have been turned and narrowed, and still onlh barely protrudes with very, very light strikes-- albeit no misfires on the 50-60 rounds i've put throught it. And it's actually a decently accurate shooter (out to 75yds and the extent of my vision)

Question 1: Should I have the FP hole modified -- widened -- to accomodate standard firing pins?

Question 2: Should I get a set of Firing pins and have them modified to fit the out of spec FP hole in the bolt face?

My gut says that modified set of firing pins is the best route, from a collecting standpoint.  And they would be easy to stash in the the cleaning capsule holes in the buttstock.

Opinions?

This is a foto with the modified pin.

Sorry, no fotos of the light strike primers.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Modify the firing pins or Modify the fp hole in the bolt face?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 12:20:13 PM »
Sounds to me like you have popped primer debris in the forward area of the FP channel.

If not, I would have Murray correct the angle/depth of the to channel...  Not adjust FPs

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 12:27:14 PM »
Sounds to me like you have popped primer debris in the forward area of the FP channel.

If not, I would have Murray correct the angle/depth of the to channel...  Not adjust FPs

Debris was the first thing I checked for. But it's clean as can be.

Murray got back to me this morning, I'll probably be sending it to him later this week for a thorough inspection.

Thanks

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 12:41:33 PM »
Could be any number of reasons why the FP channel isn't allowing the FP to seat properly.  An FP may have broken in the past and scraped a bur that's impossible to see.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 01:03:14 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.