Author Topic: Chinese Made, Albanian Used SKS  (Read 5478 times)

Offline Ret-Sarge

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
Chinese Made, Albanian Used SKS
« on: March 31, 2020, 10:20:06 PM »
Joined a few years back, and never posted my SKS it seems. First life, then health, then Hurricane Michael got in the way. I was directed here from another SKS site, by a member here.

Anyways without any more excuses here's my M56 SKS, made in China and sent to Albania later on.

Not new to military surplus guns, but I am a SKS virgin .

For our anniversary my wife got me a SKS, when we were in the LGS looking at the 5 or so that they had, there was all these new looking ones and then there was this one. We both agreed that we loved the history, stock graffiti and been there look of this one. So it was adopted and it came home with us. Only things it was/is lacking is the sling and cleaning kit. I have read though this site and Yooper's site, but am still a little confused. Maybe I am trying to learn too much too fast.

What I have learned so far or should I say what I think I have learned so far. It's a Chinese SKS, it's a "Ghost" (IE 12345 SN with no arsenal stamp), it has "Sino-Soviet" traits/parts (IE A1234 SN parts), and it's a "Sino-Albanian" due to the stock graffiti. It was imported by IO in Florida. Was told that the stock is an Albanian replacement one, I've since learned it's a Chinese stock.

Receiver, trigger assembly and magazine SN's match 60932, bolt is SN F4460, and the receiver cover is SN E2634. The butt stock has J.B. carved onto it, FZ and EM are carved in the fore stock, beneath the hand guard area. What appears to be Ism. Muh. and P. Komcë is carved into the side of the stock above the trigger assembly. The rear sight has the Russian/Cyrillic n stamped on it.

Sorry for the pictures had to take them inside. If there are areas that I need to look at or take pictures of to make it better/easier to identify/confirm please let me know.

Mike
TSgt USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Chinese Made, Albanian Used SKS
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 11:06:15 PM »
Nice. May of those had "stuff" happen to them  8). Thanks for your service, PAX

Stuff like this:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:10:20 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Gashog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 11:59:44 PM »
I have one of those Chinese/Albanian rifles. Mine shoots perfectly, but looks like hell. I love it. I have a newer Norinco, but this is the one I like the best.

Offline Ret-Sarge

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 12:33:14 AM »
I have one of those Chinese/Albanian rifles. Mine shoots perfectly, but looks like hell. I love it. I have a newer Norinco, but this is the one I like the best.

Is that a scratch, gouge or crack in the stock?
Mike
TSgt USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Offline Gashog

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 01:35:09 AM »

Is that a scratch, gouge or crack in the stock?

That is a serious crack. I bought it in 2017 from J & G as a "Gunsmith Special" Turned out the stock was the only real problem. Gun fired perfectly. I have a different stock I put it in when I shoot it.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 08:36:33 AM »
   RS, Nice to have you back.  Your rifle shows plenty of character.   Nice find.  Cheers, Bruce.
   GH, I would suggest stock repair pins and Gorrila wood glue for that split.  Brownells sells the pins.  I've fixed many that way.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:43:16 AM by Bacarnal »

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 09:03:40 AM »
neat sks. nice to see you back Mike and thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Gashog

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 10:42:04 AM »
   RS, Nice to have you back.  Your rifle shows plenty of character.   Nice find.  Cheers, Bruce.
   GH, I would suggest stock repair pins and Gorrila wood glue for that split.  Brownells sells the pins.  I've fixed many that way.

I have a bunch of small diameter threaded brass rod that I  used to repair a smaller crack in the stock I use for shooting. I plan on repairing the stock the rifle came with one day. That crack goes forward past the magazine well cutout. Long crack and it was full of cosmoline.

Offline Gashog

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 10:47:08 AM »
Ret-Sarge,
   I apologise. It appears I have hi-jacked your post and I didn't mean to do that. It just sorta happened. I get excited talking about Chinese/Albanian SKS's. I think they are a very interesting niche of SKS collecting.

Offline Ret-Sarge

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 11:37:17 AM »
Ret-Sarge,
   I apologise. It appears I have hi-jacked your post and I didn't mean to do that. It just sorta happened. I get excited talking about Chinese/Albanian SKS's. I think they are a very interesting niche of SKS collecting.

Not an issue, I'm here to learn, share, etc. Besides I'm the one that asked if that was a crack.
Mike
TSgt USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Offline Gashog

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 11:53:53 AM »
This is the stock it wears when spitting lead downrange.

subaru tribeca 0 60

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 12:57:06 PM »
Ret-Sarge,

GH and RS, I'm the one who should apologize for the highjack.  Things and subjects do have a tendency to get off track here, but it is fun :)).

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 03:42:20 PM »
Joined a few years back, and never posted my SKS it seems. First life, then health, then Hurricane Michael got in the way. I was directed here from another SKS site, by a member here.

Anyways without any more excuses here's my M56 SKS, made in China and sent to Albania later on.

For our anniversary my wife got me a SKS, when we were in the LGS looking at the 5 or so that they had, there was all these new looking ones and then there was this one. We both agreed that we loved the history, stock graffiti and been there look of this one. So it was adopted and it came home with us. Only things it was/is lacking is the sling and cleaning kit. I have read though this site and Yooper's site, but am still a little confused. Maybe I am trying to learn too much too fast.

What I have learned so far or should I say what I think I have learned so far. It's a Chinese SKS, it's a "Ghost" (IE 12345 SN with no arsenal stamp), it has "Sino-Soviet" traits/parts (IE A1234 SN parts), and it's a "Sino-Albanian" due to the stock graffiti. It was imported by IO in Florida. Was told that the stock is an Albanian replacement one, I've since learned it's a Chinese stock.

Receiver, trigger assembly and magazine SN's match 60932, bolt is SN F4460, and the receiver cover is SN E2634. The butt stock has J.B. carved onto it, FZ and EM are carved in the fore stock, beneath the hand guard area. What appears to be Ism. Muh. and P. Komcë is carved into the side of the stock above the trigger assembly. The rear sight has the Russian/Cyrillic n stamped on it.

Sorry for the pictures had to take them inside. If there are areas that I need to look at or take pictures of to make it better/easier to identify/confirm please let me know.

Greetings Mike!  Nice SKS you have there.  The Sino-Banian guns are good shooters and most definitely have a place in every collection.  If you don't mind me asking, what is the import stamp on this one?  The latest I've seen sold have been PW Arms guns laser etched on the rear right of the receiver.

Offline Ret-Sarge

• Cadet
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 06:31:22 PM »

Greetings Mike!  Nice SKS you have there.  The Sino-Banian guns are good shooters and most definitely have a place in every collection.  If you don't mind me asking, what is the import stamp on this one?  The latest I've seen sold have been PW Arms guns laser etched on the rear right of the receiver.

IO Inc Palm Bay, Florida. It's stamped on the right side of the barrel, below the handguard and gas tube assembly.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:46:03 PM by Ret-Sarge »
Mike
TSgt USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Offline echo83

• Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 07:01:23 PM »
Pretty cool looking rifle! Thanks for posting up those pictures and giving us some background.  Lucky you; your rifle was able to hold onto its bayonet despite the other swapping of parts that went on.

I'm a proud owner of a ghost myself, and I love a rifle with some character to it. This site is a huge resource for information, it even features the closest thing to a "trench art database" that I've ever seen.

I'm curious...how were you able to figure out that your stock was Chinese and not an Albanian replacement? I ask because I was wondering the same thing about mine...

Offline Ret-Sarge

• Cadet
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 08:54:18 PM »
Pretty cool looking rifle! Thanks for posting up those pictures and giving us some background.  Lucky you; your rifle was able to hold onto its bayonet despite the other swapping of parts that went on.

I'm a proud owner of a ghost myself, and I love a rifle with some character to it. This site is a huge resource for information, it even features the closest thing to a "trench art database" that I've ever seen.

I'm curious...how were you able to figure out that your stock was Chinese and not an Albanian replacement? I ask because I was wondering the same thing about mine...

In my case the buttstock has a single trap door butt plate on it, plus there isn't a second hole under the plate (So a one hole buttstock and one hole butt plate). That sounds dirty now that I read it, also there is the faint remnants of a serial number on the buttstock. Which I was told was indicative of a Chinese stock and not an Albanian one. Then there is the color of the finish on stock and wood the stock is made, which I can't tell you the difference between one type of wood used versus another type.  Also because the stock fits properly, some but not all of the Albanian replacement stocks are ill fitting. Location of the butt sling swivel.

I'm far from being expert, just from what I've read and been told.

Yoopers site has a guide of the stocks to help, which also shows pictures. Don't know if it's bad form to post a link on here, but here's the link.

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-18.htm

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:38:50 PM by Ret-Sarge »
Mike
TSgt USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Offline echo83

• Rifleman
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 09:31:53 PM »
Ok, that makes sense. Mine was a 2019 purchase from Classic Firearms, and the stock and bayonet were definitely replacements, but it fit perfectly. The Albanians must have had plenty of blade bayonet stocks lying around, because my stock was cut for a blade bayonet, but the replacement bayonet they picked out was a spike bayonet.

I noticed a small crack in it, so I purchased a replacement from Clearview Investments. Luckily that one matched my handguard almost perfectly, and fit well, so I guess I lucked out twice. I'd definitely recommend them, Desert Fox Sales, and Sarco for replacement parts.

Have you had a chance to take yours out to the range yet? If so, how does it shoot?

Offline Ret-Sarge

• Cadet
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 09:38:14 PM »
Ok, that makes sense. Mine was a 2019 purchase from Classic Firearms, and the stock and bayonet were definitely replacements, but it fit perfectly. The Albanians must have had plenty of blade bayonet stocks lying around, because my stock was cut for a blade bayonet, but the replacement bayonet they picked out was a spike bayonet.

I noticed a small crack in it, so I purchased a replacement from Clearview Investments. Luckily that one matched my handguard almost perfectly, and fit well, so I guess I lucked out twice. I'd definitely recommend them, Desert Fox Sales, and Sarco for replacement parts.

Have you had a chance to take yours out to the range yet? If so, how does it shoot?

Here's a link to the yooper page on stocks.

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-18.htm

I've had it out once so far, she shot as good as I would let her that day, It was hot as hades and after a few magazines I was done. I need to get her out on a nice day and put a few hundred rounds down her and put her through her paces.

But she seemed to shoot pretty decent groupings that day, so it looks promising.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:53:22 PM by Ret-Sarge »
Mike
TSgt USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 10:14:10 PM »
IO Inc Palm Bay, Florida. It's stamped on the right side of the barrel, below rhe handguard and gas tube assembly.

Very nice.  That's identical to a 2014 import stamp.  It's highly likely that this is a relatively old gun that was initially wholesaled and stored (or stored then wholesaled), and finally sold at retail in your LGS.  Haven't seen those IOs at retail for a good long while and I've only seen FOXTROT, PW, and IARMS stamps on the current batch of 10-13 mil /26\s Sino-Banians.   thumb1

The stock is most certainly a Chinese stock.  May very well be the original stock for the gun, the font size is correct for a ghost even if it not legible.  The wood is not beech which would be a dead giveaway that it was an Alby replacement. 

I'd be a little wary of using what's under the buttplate to determine a whole lot.  You can literally find almost anything back there:

Early 2 mil /26\ Chinese w/ original stock:

A late ghost with a replacement Russian laminated stock that was renumbered by the Albanians (don't see this very often at all):

A mid-ghost, this time having an unnumbered Albanian replacement stock.  In the second photo, you can see the telltale 'fish scale flecks' that are the dead giveaway:

A true Albanian (unfortunately bubba got to this one) missing the buttplate:

Here is what the cavity of a true Albanian looks like in detail:

Finally, I have two Albanian stocks for Albanian Model 561 SKS (two stocks on either side), and an a Albanian stock that was made to fit an early blade Chinese type 56 (center).  You can see the differences in the swivel placement and the cavities in the rear of the stock.  thumb1

Offline Gashog

• Newber
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 10:54:18 PM »
I have read that a lot of the Chinese stocks are made from Catalpa wood. The Albanian stocks are longer and would be cut back in the front when fitted to a Chinese SKS. My Chinese/Albanian was imported by GCI in Knox County Tennessee. I purchased mine in 2017 from J&G. I think my stock is a Chinese stock but there are no serial numbers on it.