Author Topic: Long Lost Karabiner S  (Read 442 times)

Offline jmaurer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
Long Lost Karabiner S
« on: November 29, 2023, 11:54:55 PM »
As I'm sure some of you may know, I posted images of this rifle on another collector board several years ago when options were limited. I won't recount the story (which was true!), other than to say that I bought this in a pawn shop as a "Russian SKS".

Please enjoy, save, and keep a sharp eye out for the next one, wherever it may be found!

« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 01:56:57 PM by jmaurer »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Long Lost NVA
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 01:37:50 PM »
Man I must have been living under a rock.  First I've seen of this one (it's not even in the database here, though P50 does have it in his...that rat.  ireful1)

Truly a nice specimen; I love the fact it still has grease & traces of kraft paper in the stock recesses.  clap1

Did you mean to title this one "Long lost East German" though?  Even though it comes to the US via Vietnam, it is still an EG Karabiner-S.

Offline jmaurer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
Re: Long Lost NVA
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 01:53:56 PM »
Whoops! I always mentally default to NVA (for Neue Volks Armee); this probably isn't the best place to do that!
The loose material in the stock and stuck here and there is peeled shellac; I absolutely dread disassembling this one because of it. And you're right-it does still have reddish cosmoline in a few corners.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 02:03:41 PM by jmaurer »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Long Lost Karabiner S
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 02:04:32 AM »
Wow, getting an East German for the price of a Russian is the collecting coup of the decade  :o 8)

It certainly appears to have seen some significant use while in Vietnam.i like it a lot!