Author Topic: SAFN 49 from RTI  (Read 461 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
SAFN 49 from RTI
« on: June 20, 2023, 06:13:38 PM »
Well.. They had them, I've looked at several thru the years and figured if I was going to get one, now would be the time, before they are gone and priced beyond reach. Over all, I guess considering it probably sat in Ethiopia in storage for who knows how long, it wasn't bad. 3 pounds of dust and grundge later, I was rewarded with a nice Belgian made rifle with a really nice bore. I'm guessing it was a scrubbed contract rifle from another nation, and it's in 30-06. It's pretty much kind of looks like a 30-06 SKS judging by the design. No issues with the gas system, it's free and adjustable as well.

Now, I have a reason..... errrr excuse..  to buy one of those "Romanian SKS spigot grenade launchers" now. rofl2 chuckles1

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Re: SAFN 49 from RTI
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 06:44:20 PM »
Nice catch, GM.  I just looked on their website and I guess they're all gone.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 11:47:46 PM »
I’m generally very skeptical of RTI’s offerings but that one is a winner  thumb1

The inspector, “H” was Christophe Woit who served from 1938-68, so that doesn’t narrow down the time range of production at all. I can see a bit of a crown on the scrubbed receiver ring. Perhaps a Belgian contract rifle, or a contract overrun rifle scrubbed and sold to Ethiopia.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 09:01:51 AM »
I have also been very skeptical of RTI’s offerings, just bought little things from them, parts and pieces, magazines, and some ammo, the shipping was always seemed a tad high. This and the cz50 I just got were the first C&R weapons from them, and both are pretty decent, by no means perfect, but it is a surplus used old weapon. The SAFN was actually boxed very nice, it was shipped in a nice rifle hard case and the cz50 was buried in I think a roll of bubble wrap and cheetos..

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 04:32:34 PM »
Nice one GM!!!  An Egyptian 8mm Mauser SAFN49 was the very first C&R I ever bought. 

.30-06 models were apparently bought by Belgian Congo (in addition to Belgium, Luxembourg, Indonesia, Brazil, and Colombia).  The Belgians were heavily involved in training Ethiopian forces and they certainly pushed FN firearms as heavily as they could, it would be interesting to figure out what the actual pedigree of these FN49s actually are.

Here's a 2020 article on the RTI imports.  I think it may have been posted here before as it seems somewhat familiar to me, but I can barely remember what I ate yesterday, much less an article I may or may not have read 3 years ago.  https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/7/15/emperor-selassies-treasure-the-guns-of-royal-tiger-imports

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 09:57:00 PM »
Interesting article RM  thumb1

I was digging and found this, explaining the variants and small changes... https://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/2009-B100-Fabrique-Nationale-Fusil-Semi-Automatiqu.pdf

A lot of question on actual numbers made in either semi or select fire, some were all contracted as select fire, which wouldn't be importable in to the US.

I do believe it now to be a very early sterilized Belgian contract rifle..

Very low serial, the stock is mismatched...but updated to a crossbolt style stock, very early SAFN's didn't have a crossbolt, the stock serial is 66xxx.

Mismatched top cover, yet close to the receiver number, again, a very low serial and the early style take down lever supports the number.

No scope dovetail cut of either type.

Again, just a WAG.. based on the article info, if true, great, if not.. I still have a SAFN-49, just sterilized.. thumb1 chuckles1

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 11:04:17 PM »
Wow!  Very nice. 

Always been a fan of the FN49s.  Would like to buy one at some point and put some rounds down range to see how it performs.

Also like the MAS49/56s to but 7.5 French ammo is harder to find than 30-06.

Offline Rozzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 11:42:04 PM »
Great pick up! I kept seeing them on RTI, but I was able to find a Luxembourg for a fair price instead; still not sure if I prefer the 7mm Venezuelan or the .30. Glad to see it turned out nice.