Author Topic: It Was a Slaughter!!  (Read 4852 times)

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
It Was a Slaughter!!
« on: March 07, 2015, 10:25:06 PM »
Here is the problem:

The enemy:

The solution:

The grizzly outcome:

This was the little work horse I mostly used today.  Model 43 Winchester, 218 Bee.  40 gr. Hornady V-Max bullet going almost 3000 fps, I estimate my kill per shot at 75+%.

I fired over 200 rounds through it today, and would like to think I put a dent in the population.  Somewhere around 150 sent to that alfalfa patch in the sky.  My kill zone was a pretty ugly sight. 

Best cash crop around here is alfalfa, but these little devils make it pretty slim pickins in some places.  Generally a field needs to be deep tilled and planted with taters or some other crop every three years or so to get rid of the squirrels, but if the ground isn't good, or water isn't available -- the squirrels simply take over.  Worse yet, 22 shells still aren't gettable around here. 

Oh well, I'll try to do my part.  jd
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: It Was a Slaughter!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 05:45:35 AM »
The Pest Post headline: Above the Neck Amputation Deleterious to Health  :o

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »
Poor fuzzy critters!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 12:46:46 PM »
Good shooting jd  thumb1 The photo of the rifle and antiques I especially like! Wish I could be there to help you.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:19:34 PM »
I was just at the range with some friends and we all got a great laugh out of the decapitated squirrel. Nice work!
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 05:38:08 PM »
Good shooting jd  thumb1 The photo of the rifle and antiques I especially like! Wish I could be there to help you.

I could use a hand Danny.  This is mighty consumptive of my ammo.  I'm about to take off right now and do it again.  Got the chores done (mostly) and another 100 v-max's loaded up. 

And HEY!!  What chu talkin bout with the antique business.  That rifle is about the same age as me!!  Or maybe you're talking about the type writer.  I think it's about the same age as Sheepdog.   chuckles1  jd
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 08:56:05 PM »
If you were a little closer jd I would be there for the next heat. Sorry bout the antique statement but I was talking bout the typewriter!

Besides you and Sheepdog are like me...yall aint no spring chickens!!!  chuckles1  ;)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:10:52 PM by Dannyboy53 »

Offline scarymike23

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 10:24:41 AM »
The rifle is really nice but I'm still digging the Underwood  thumb1

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 09:02:36 AM »
Cool thing about that typewriter is that it will accept paper up to 16" horizontally, (landscape) direction.  It belonged to the father of a friend of mine.  The guy was an engineer and did a lot of work on map and blueprint sized paper.  I think it's vintage around 1929.

I've also got some of his old reloading equipment and even powder from back in the fifties, (or even older).  And yeah, I'm still using it.  jd