Author Topic: Hello from East Tennessee  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Blizz63

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Hello from East Tennessee
« on: January 07, 2017, 12:38:51 AM »
Have been stalking this forum for awhile, knowing I would be getting my first SKS for Christmas. Now that I have her, It was time to join and say hello.

She is a Chinese type 56 built in 1963. it is well worn and I think that is what I was drawn to. I picked it up at my local shop. They carry quite a bit of old mil-surp guns. They had just gotten in a lot of 300 SKS rifles. They were selling for $299. However, they ran a one day Christmas special for $229. I knew I had to get it then. Got it home and took it out of the plastic bag and spent the next two days cleaning off the cosmoline. Thats when I really got a good look,and to my surprise,it was an all # matching rifle.

I don't know a whole lot about them. I am learning quite a bit from this site. Appears to be quite a few knowledgeable people in here. I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions. Good to meet all of you. I'll try to see if I can post a couple of pics. New at that too.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
Re: Hello from East Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 08:39:22 AM »
hi Blizz and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro. nice buy, looking good.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »
Good mornibg Blizz, awesome to have you here!  Hope you enjoy the boards. thumb1

Looks like you may have gotten a nice 7 mil /26\ there!  The price was phenomenal!  An absolute steal! 

You say the LGS had 300 of these in stock and it was in a plastic bag? (did it have a piece of garden hose on the bolt carrier handle?)  Sounds very much like a TGI import, though I was unaware there were still that many to be found at retail!  Would it be possible for you to get a shot of the import stamp for us?  It would be quite exciting if another batch came in recently as it appeared that supply was pretty well dried up.

Again, welcome aboard. If you need anything please don't hestiate to ask!

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »
Welcome aboard from WA! 

Great buy on that '62 7 mil!  thumb1 That's a good price for 2014, let alone 2017. Did you tear down the bolt for a thorough cleaning? More close up shots of serial numbers and the arsenal stamp etc. would be great.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 10:36:20 AM »
Welcome fro Texas... Great deal on a fine carbine!.   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Blizz63

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 01:03:17 PM »
You say the LGS had 300 of these in stock and it was in a plastic bag? (did it have a piece of garden hose on the bolt carrier handle?)  Sounds very much like a TGI import, though I was unaware there were still that many to be found at retail!  Would it be possible for you to get a shot of the import stamp for us?

Yes running-man, It is a TGI import. It did have the piece of garden hose on the carrier handle. I think when I got mine, the owner said he still had over 150 or so left. I am also thinking i saw two or three "ghosts" there too. No marks other than a short serial #.

Offline Blizz63

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 01:09:25 PM »
Welcome aboard from WA! 

Great buy on that '62 7 mil!  thumb1 That's a good price for 2014, let alone 2017. Did you tear down the bolt for a thorough cleaning? More close up shots of serial numbers and the arsenal stamp etc. would be great.

Yes Phosphorus, after reading about important it was to have a clean bolt on here, I made sure I took the bolt apart for a thorough cleaning. Was going to go shoot today at my son-n-laws property. However, it snowed last night and is about 18 degrees here, so I believe i will wait.

Offline Blizz63

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 01:30:41 PM »

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 01:45:28 PM »
Yes running-man, It is a TGI import. It did have the piece of garden hose on the carrier handle. I think when I got mine, the owner said he still had over 150 or so left. I am also thinking i saw two or three "ghosts" there too. No marks other than a short serial #.

Very neat!  These look to be from the TGI #2 batch from 4Q 2014 (or possibly a more recent import).  All in all an excellent specimen, hope she shoots as good as she looks!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »
Looks like you got a good one...  I never did manage to acquire a 62 banian.    cry2

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.