Author Topic: Hi all!  (Read 5600 times)

Offline nightstryke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Hi all!
« on: July 31, 2015, 05:13:12 AM »
Hey guys, came over here from Survivor's SKS Boards. I'm living in Charleston SC, but originally from AZ.
Me and my Chinese Type 56 "Ghost" SKS feel a little better now.   :)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Hi all!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:32:09 AM »
Welcome!  Dig into the info. I hope you enjoy it here.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 08:06:29 AM »
Welcome aboard!    :)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 09:01:46 AM »
Greetings from NM!  Pull up a chair and join in the conversation!  We'd love to see your ghost, ever since the IO guns dried up, we haven't seen too many of them.

Welcome aboard!

Offline nightstryke

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 11:53:52 AM »
Greetings from NM!  Pull up a chair and join in the conversation!  We'd love to see your ghost, ever since the IO guns dried up, we haven't seen too many of them.

Welcome aboard!
No you wouldn't actually, unlike the other IO guns that were sent to people. Mine came in rust instead of cosmoline, no bluing either. The stock also has trench art but is so thin it's beyond refinishing, i'm going to have to order another stock for it.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »
We are going to send off several stocks to be tested for species.... If you dont want that stock (and it truly is a ghost stock), let us know if you want to contribute it to the testing.  We still need a ghost stock.  cry2

We can pay shipping and bump your membership...  make it worth your while.  thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline nightstryke

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 12:02:12 PM »
We are going to send off several stocks to be tested for species.... If you dont want that stock (and it truly is a ghost stock), let us know if you want to contribute it to the testing.  We still need a ghost stock.  cry2

We can pay shipping and bump your membership...  make it worth your while.  thumb1
I would, but it's the original stock for the rifle matching serial number. In fact the only parts that aren't matching are the bolt and bolt carrier as they were the worst parts out of the whole rifle. I had to literally trash them and order replacements, too much rust, basically swapped out non-matching parts for unissued parts with no serial numbers on them.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:30:38 PM by nightstryke »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »
Wow sounds like a nightmare.  I'd still love to see how she turns/turned out though.  For reference, here's one that LC had:

And it came out like this after a bit of TLC:

Also another one from the IO batch that had a bit less rust, but nonetheless came out looking extremely sharp:

Offline nightstryke

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 12:42:58 PM »
That's actually much nicer condition than what mine was in as I said there was hardly any bluing on mine and what was on there came off when I removed the rust. I'm not done with the rifle and the stock is still useable, but not in good enough condition to refinish so it's as is right now.

Here is the current condition:

I spoke with chainsaw a while back at Survival's and he used 500F engine paint on one of his. I'm thinking of either doing that or getting some Van's Instant Blue and going that route.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 12:46:11 PM »
Black Oxide.   :)

Offline nightstryke

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 12:53:04 PM »
Reason I said I was going to use Van's Instant Bluing which is a Cold Bluing as I have the space to do that, but I do not have the tools required to bake the rifle or heat it up to apply regular bluing on the rifle.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 12:54:44 PM »
Black Oxide.   :)

Whatever it was, it came out sharp! thumb1  I love the before and after of that gun.  I especially like looking back at that old thread and seeing how discouraged you & your pop were when you first got it.  He chucked them in the basement and you were ready to part them out.  chuckles1

Heck Nightstryke, that doesn't look all that bad to me.  Even the stock looks pretty solid!

I haven't had to deal with much rust, but the bluing wear I can certainly relate to:

Thankfully, I live in a dry climate and haven't really needed to do anything to it beyond a good cleaning and oiling.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 12:57:25 PM »
HonorGuard Banian!!!

Offline nightstryke

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
While the stock looks solid and it is, it's not near good enough quality to refinish. Even my FFL said it would probably be best to use the stock as is or get a different one for longterm use.

I should probably create a thread in the Chinese Military forum shouldn't I? Since it's a "Ghost." xD

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 01:29:00 PM »
Welcome  thumb1

That stock looks good to me, nice, used and abused, perfect in my book.  Ugly beat to death ones need lovin' too.  :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 01:57:56 PM »
I should probably create a thread in the Chinese Military forum shouldn't I? Since it's a "Ghost." xD
Go for it, we love pictures.  thumb1

I think it looks good.  Nothing wrong with the weather worn look of these Albanian sourced Type 56s. It's just part of their Cold War history.