Author Topic: Need help staying as true to original issue equipment as possible  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Newsksguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
I have recently entered into the sks world with the purchase of a Chinese type 56 military trade in. It dose not have a sling and would like to get one. The rifle has jungle stock with all numbers matching. The serial number is a 11mill. I would like help getting the exact type and style of sling that originally would have been issued with rifle. I have seen dark green and light green with leather attach points, I've seen the steel "spring"  connections and finally I've seen the buckle type. Witch is the right one?? Any help info or whatever else your willing to offer on my rifle would be greatly appreciated

Offline Newsksguy

• Newber
Re: Need help staying as true to original issue equipment as possible
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 05:49:22 PM »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 07:15:49 PM »
Welcome!

Looks like you have a nice 1966 Type 56 with the matching Chinese wood stock. The term "jungle stock" is used by collectors to refer to the plastic resin stocks. Yours is original and, therefore in my mind, better. I prefer the slings with the leather tabs though I've used both the coil attachment and leather tab attachment types. I don't think I've seen a buckle type sling for a Type 56.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 09:15:54 AM »
hi newguy and welcome. good to have you here. looks like a nice one, you did good. take a look at some of the sks type slings that are sold on eBay (& other vendors) to get an idea.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 08:36:23 PM »
Leather tab.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Newsksguy

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 05:56:49 AM »

So I'll start off and saying thanks, I got it from classic firearms most reason shipment hand select. I don't think I understand the stock comment, I thought they were the same thing. Also I have a picture linked with of "buckle type" witch is what I decided to purchase. Its dated 1965 and the writtings on the belt is 五六式7.62冲锋枪背带 means "Type 56 7.62mm auto rifle sling" according to the post. So I figured it was the closest thing to historically accurate.

url=https://ibb.co/wCkt38j][/url]

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 08:15:24 AM »

So I'll start off and saying thanks, I got it from classic firearms most reason shipment hand select. I don't think I understand the stock comment, I thought they were the same thing. Also I have a picture linked with of "buckle type" witch is what I decided to purchase. Its dated 1965 and the writtings on the belt is 五六式7.62冲锋枪背带 means "Type 56 7.62mm auto rifle sling" according to the post. So I figured it was the closest thing to historically accurate.

Nice rifle...and nice translation.  One weird thing that China did was name two rifles the Type 56....both the SKS and the Chinese AK ended up getting the same title, the 'auto rifle' part indicates these were for the AK T56.  All things considered though, the country these spent all that time becoming 'not Chinese enough to be OK to import' often would put any of a multitude of styles of sling on them...or come up with their own.  In general, you would expect the two leather tab sling on just about any Chinese SKS.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 09:55:41 AM »

I think those are AK slings, or general use slings for AK, T63, etc

Jungle stock....   There is a Fiberglass stock produced by China that is commonly referred to as a "jungle stock". 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 11:10:40 AM »
Very nice one OP, one of the nicer guns out of the whole batch I would say.

I like the leather tab slings as they don't put near as much wear and tear on your bluing and stock.  Both types can be a mother bear to get on and off too.  I'd much rather have a lather tab that I can cut if need be (replacement tabs can be easily had for $1 each) than a coil that I can't.  dance2

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 11:13:38 AM »
One weird thing that China did was name two rifles the Type 56....both the SKS and the Chinese AK ended up getting the same title

It's not the first time 2 totally different weapons share the same title... the US military did it all the time... M1917 Enfield and M1917 Revolver, M3 Grease gun and M3 .30 Carbine, M1941 Johnson machine gun and M1941 Johnson rifle  :)

the 'auto rifle' part indicates these were for the AK T56.

Auto does not always mean automatic..... auto could simply mean.... an auto loading rifle(not a bolt action, the weapon fires and reloads automactily after the first cocking action)......Browning very commonly uses the term auto on semiauto rifles... the Browning BAR, Browning Automatic Rifle, a popular hunting rifle in .300 Win Mag and other cailbers, Browning Auto 5 a semiauto shotgun, or a like a L1A1 SLR.. Self Loading Rifle like a FAL... or FSA....... Fully Semi Automatic.  :o rofl2  chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 02:14:11 PM »
Great overall info on Chicom SKS slings. I've added or replaced several over the years - I'd bet the majority of 'em are probably specifically "incorrect" for the particular rifle. Buuuut, I can't bring myself to toss any of my raggedy-azz ones!

Offline Newsksguy

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 03:39:53 PM »
Ok, kinda on a side topic, would it be a good or bad idea to restore rifle? By hand sanding stock and using  something like stock wax or linseed oil, and possibly getting it ready hot blued. You guys are so information and I value your opinions greatly. Appreciate any feedback including pros and cons of either/both options, or other options if u know of any

Offline Matthew MO

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 09:21:49 PM »
Your example is pretty clean as is. In my opinion refinishing the rifle would only remove the history of the piece and diminish the value.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 01:49:45 AM »
Need help staying as true to original issue equipment as possible

If your original question was true.... Leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is... It is in issued condition, issued right off the field. From a purist point of view, getting artsy fartsy won't make it worth more, it just satisfies that insatiable urdge to have a shiney pretty "new" looking rifle, In which, many a minty newish looking ones are available if you look.

Hell, that one looks new compared to some stuff I have laying around. It's a weapon of war, they aren't ment to be...... pretty. I like'em beat, abused and sloppy, if I want pretty.....Weatherby, Henry, Winchester make pretty new ones everyday. :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 09:19:16 AM »
 :o like  (original, survivor, unrestored)  classis cars, there only this way once.  Besplode
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 10:45:41 AM »
Out of this batch...you got one just slightly below the best I would hope to get out of it. That ding in the handguard being it's only major flaw. I wonder if that happened during the unboxing videos...

If you want it a little more spruced up, but also retain originality...just get a replacment gas tube and stock. I would leave the original furniture, and the gas tube/handguard intact....removing the handguard ferrule can be difficult and it's easy to screw up parts.  You could retain the original 'look' and have a nicer appearing gun, while being able to revert back to original in minutes.

As long as these soaked in cosmo, any refinish attempt would likely end up getting buggered up as it sweats out when you shoot it anyway.  There are a multitude of replacement stocks out there, you could possibly find an unserialed one.

Personally, now that I know better...I would accept it and it's history as is. You already have the bug, you just don't know it. You will have another SKS soon.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 06:42:50 PM »
Another purist vote for leave it. It's a beauty  thumb1 

A military surplus rifle that is in pristine condition with regard to surface finish of the metal and wood is very rare. 

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 11:21:47 PM »
Ok, kinda on a side topic, would it be a good or bad idea to restore rifle? By hand sanding stock and using  something like stock wax or linseed oil, and possibly getting it ready hot blued. You guys are so information and I value your opinions greatly. Appreciate any feedback including pros and cons of either/both options, or other options if u know of any

I doubt you'll get anyone on this site that will say 'Go to town!' with this particular gun.  I think if you want to try your hand at woodworking or hot bluing on an SKS, you should find a gun at a pawn shop, gun show, or on gunbroker/armslist that has already been worked over and see what you can do to bring it back.  'Improving' this gun is pretty much impossible, it is what it is and it currently sits at the absolute pinnacle of its value. The only way to go from here is down, whether it is messing with the metal or the wood.  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 11:38:17 PM »
Go to town!

dance2