Author Topic: Bolt Hold Open not working  (Read 18343 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Bolt Hold Open not working
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 08:43:46 PM »
Not much you can do then other then working the sheet out of it up/down by hand ALOT with lube.  Break it in basically

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 08:46:15 PM »
Take a small piece of 1x4, drill a hole out of the center and place the underside of the pin you are driving out over the hole...the wood will protect the metal...use the proper sized punch and you should be golden if you take your time.

I am wondering if your BHO spring is just too weak to do it's job.

Offline hawkeye4077

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 08:47:43 PM »
I don't really think that's the case because when it gets stuck it really gets stuck and can be very hard to break free

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 08:48:04 PM »
Take a small piece of 1x4, drill a hole out of the center and place the underside of the pin you are driving out over the hole...the wood will protect the metal...use the proper sized punch and you should be golden if you take your time.

I am wondering if your BHO spring is just too weak to do it's job.

No..   the spring needs to ne weak so that it easily goes up when the follower pushes it up...

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 08:48:52 PM »
I don't really think that's the case because when it gets stuck it really gets stuck and can be very hard to break free

Then it HAS to come out for inspection

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 08:51:14 PM »
Its just a tab that slides up and down in a channel with a weak spring above it. Either the bho tab to channel is too tight, there is a burr, or there is a foreign object in thar.

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 08:58:22 PM »
I think that is it, I just cant get it taken apart to see. I'm going to quit messing with it tonight before I wind up breaking something. I'll probably try back at it again tomorrow with a proper punch set.

Offline scarymike23

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 08:59:05 AM »
Would it be worth letting some penetrating oil soak into the pin channel overnight and then try again the following day?

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 09:47:18 PM »
Update for those that may be interested. Took it to a gunsmith a few days ago. Just got it back from him, he was not able to fix it however he was able to figure out what is causing it. It seems that somewhere along the way the hold open tab that moves up and down was cut down too far on one side. This allowed it to twist inside the channel and when it would go down it would get twisted in the channel and that is what is causing it to bind and get stuck. So solution being, I have bought a new hold open tab for 9.99 off of ebay and I believe that that should resolve the issue. Heres hoping.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 09:50:15 PM »
Cool..   You get the pin out?

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2015, 09:51:26 PM »
I didn't, the Gun Smith did. Honestly that is pretty much the entire reason I took it to him because if I kept at it I was going to break it out of frustration Haha.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2015, 09:54:57 PM »
First I have ever heard of a bho being made incorrectly and causing issues.

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2015, 09:56:21 PM »
Yea, WHat he said made sense though, You could see, there was a major gap between the side of the channel and the side of the tab on one side and it was flush against the side of the channel on the other side, there by giving the tab enough room to rotate.

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 11:51:35 AM »
Update #2. Replacement part came in, went in perfectly fit like a glove, and now the rifle functions perfectly. So glad I got this thing fixed. $35 total. 25 for the gunsmith and 10 for the part. Thanks for the help everyone.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 12:23:56 PM »
Excellent.  clap1

First I've heard of anything on an SKS not working due to a factory defect.  Any chance you could post a photo of the bad BHO?  The rectangle factories seemed to be hit or miss sometimes with respect to quality.  QC during year 23 at [0129] must have been a bit lax.  thumb1

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 12:25:57 PM »
I'm at work now but as long as I don't forget, I'll take some photos when I get home.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 03:57:45 PM »
Cool.   thumb1

Offline hawkeye4077

• Newber
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 09:14:38 PM »
Better late than never. Here are the photos as requested. As you can see one side of it has had significantly more material removed than the other giving it a lop sided appearance.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2015, 06:23:25 PM »
Hard to make out in the pics, but if replacing did the trick, thats all that matters.   thumb1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2015, 01:06:10 PM »
I'm glad it was that simple for you!  thumb1