Author Topic: Re-installing Yugo front sight block.  (Read 4744 times)

Offline jeepguy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Re-installing Yugo front sight block.
« on: March 30, 2015, 09:10:30 PM »
I finally got the barrel stub off of my new front sight using a arbor press so I am ready to attempt reassembly.  I really would rather not beat it on like I have seen done on other sites.  I was thinking of freezing the barrel and heating up the sight to ease assembly.  Any thoughts?  Maybe something I could spray on the barrel to chill it? 

Hopefully someone on here has done this before.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Re-installing Yugo front sight block.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »
I have done it a few times...  never had an issue just tapping it on with a chunk of aluminum between the fsb and hammer.  Why not use the press you used to take out the stub?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jeepguy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 09:38:14 PM »
The press would be ideal, I'm not sure how to get the barrel supported to push the fsb on.  I would worry about bending it, plus it's at work and I'd rather not ruffle any feathers.  I do have a chunk of brass I made to use with the press I could almost use as a slide hammer if necessary.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 09:48:39 PM »
Brass is good, but I dunno how you would make a slide hammer and it wont really be necessary.  Just line up the fsb and place the brass chunk on it and tap the brass with the hammer. Onve the muzzle is flush you can place it on the front post of the fsb.. just keep it close to the barrel.  Freezing the barrel and lightly heating the fsb could help... dunno.  Give it a shot.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jeepguy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »
Well I put the barrel into a freezer overnight and the fsb slid right on with a little heat.  The only issue I had was that the pin slots didn't line up together.  I just put one pin in for now.  Looks good back to original condition I think.  I just need a cleaning rod to be complete.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 11:07:57 AM »
Nice.. looks great man!   thumb1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 05:37:12 PM »
That's plumb snazzy looking!

Offline jeepguy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »
Thanks guys!  My only regret is that I didn't get a "before" picture.