Poll

Which setup for my new Rugar American Ranch 5.56mm

More of the Magpul mags to keep it all nice and matching then use Bando #3 where some pockets hold the clips and spoon.
1 (33.3%)
Buy Aluminum D&H 10rnders to save $1.26/mag, have the USGI look, and use the bando #3.
2 (66.7%)
Option 1, but just use bando #1 so not extra clips.
0 (0%)
Option 2, but with bando #1 so not extra clips.
0 (0%)
Buy 20rnd mags and use Bando #2
0 (0%)
Buy 30rnd mags and use Bando #2
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Help me decide. (just for grins and giggles)  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Help me decide. (just for grins and giggles)
« on: February 01, 2021, 04:05:19 PM »
So, as you all probably know, my Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 takes AR mags and came with a Magpul gen3 10rnder that has the dust cover on it. I want to get more mags for it and am deliberating on brand and capacity. Maximum amount of mags I think is going to be 4. And to be honest, I am not sure 30rnders would go well in a bolt action for benchrest shooting as they may be taller than the bi-pod is. Still thinking that one over.
Here's the setup options.
I have a couple of 4 pocket USGI bandos as well as a 7 pocket USGI bando, all for 5.56mm AR stuff.
Bando #1 is for the 30rnd on 3 stripper clips in the carton sleeve per pocket setup.
Bando #2 is for 20rnd mags where you can pull the one thread out and it will take 30rnd mags.
Bando #3 is the 7 pocket-20rnds on 2 clips in a carton sleeve per pocket setup.

Bandos #1 and #2 will hold 10rnd mags, but 20rnders are too tall for the pockets.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 04:13:03 PM by Greatguns »
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Help me decide. (just for grins and giggles)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 05:06:08 PM »
I don't like curved mags in a bolt, and 20 rounds just seems like too many. The 10s have a complementary profile and don't really protrude that much. PAX

[/MY BADb]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 08:29:06 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 05:24:04 PM »
I don't like curved mags in a bolt, and 20 rounds just seems like too many. The 10s have a complementary profile and don't really protrude that much. PAX

But PAX, you didn't vote, that's half the fun of the thread. :P rofl rofl
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 05:38:19 PM »
I was looking a little this morning for 15 rounders. All I could find was 20's that only take 15. Tried a few metal 20's and didn't seem right.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 06:05:55 PM »
Screw the danty 30 round child's play... I vote for belt fed from a 55gallon drum.  Least be original  rofl

Be a first for a bolt action.

So it's not the size of your..... Protrusion, it's how you use it and how it complement your figure..  rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 06:17:06 PM »
Screw the danty 30 round child's play... I vote for belt fed from a 55gallon drum.  Least be original  rofl

Be a first for a bolt action.

So it's not the size of your..... Protrusion, it's how you use it and how it complement your figure..  rofl

GM, you have such a way with words. rofl rofl thumb1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 06:18:07 PM »
AND STILL NO ONE HAS VOTED, COME ON GUYS!!! :P :P >:( :) bat1 bat1

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 07:00:42 PM »
bought a few D&H mags for my ar's, very nice.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 07:57:35 PM »
bought a few D&H mags for my ar's, very nice.

I've owned the 30rnd D&H mags when I had ARs and really liked them, so went back to PSA's website and found the 10rnders. :)

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 08:32:40 PM »
Look's like it's 100% for the 10's  ::) PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 09:02:48 PM »

Yeah, that and another part of my decision was made for me. The Magpul mags went OOS on me so I ordered 4 of the D&H 10rnders  and saved $5 over the Magpul ones. If I'm going to have them in a bando I don't need the dust covers anyway, just something to catch on the bando when pulling it out.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 09:49:05 PM »

Yeah, that and another part of my decision was made for me. The Magpul mags went OOS on me so I ordered 4 of the D&H 10rnders  and saved $5 over the Magpul ones. If I'm going to have them in a bando I don't need the dust covers anyway, just something to catch on the bando when pulling it out.

I'm not familiar with D&H. Shoot me a link and I'll get a couple of those too. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 10:34:26 PM »

I'm not familiar with D&H. Shoot me a link and I'll get a couple of those too. PAX

D&H is primarily sold by Palmetto State Armory. Keep in mind this is for my 5.56 Ruger
https://palmettostatearmory.com/d-h-ar-15-223-5-56mm-magazine-10rd-capacity-aluminum-black-teflon-10-al-bt-mp-rt.html

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 02:05:18 AM »
Looks like it factory Ruger Mini 30 next. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 03:16:39 PM »
I voted for the D&H solely for looks. If it were me, I'd have a couple of hunt-legal mags, then just buy USGI surplus mags for plinking.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 03:25:40 PM »
I voted for the D&H solely for looks. If it were me, I'd have a couple of hunt-legal mags, then just buy USGI surplus mags for plinking.

In Missouri 10 IS legal. :) :P dance2

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 01:46:52 AM »
Hey GG.

I voted for the Magpul option because I got one of the Magpul gen3 10rd mags w/ the dust cover on it in a trade a while back. Brand new little sucker. They seem pretty handy. I could easily go for a combination of the D&H 10rd mags too, though. Just don't think I'd bother with many of the hi-caps with a bolt action. Just my $.02...

GG, if you need another Magpul 10rd, shoot me an offer. (It don't have to be much.  :)  )  I don't own an AR and never used this one. Up 2 U...

firstchoice

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 10:03:06 AM »
Hey GG.

I voted for the Magpul option because I got one of the Magpul gen3 10rd mags w/ the dust cover on it in a trade a while back. Brand new little sucker. They seem pretty handy. I could easily go for a combination of the D&H 10rd mags too, though. Just don't think I'd bother with many of the hi-caps with a bolt action. Just my $.02...

GG, if you need another Magpul 10rd, shoot me an offer. (It don't have to be much.  :)  )  I don't own an AR and never used this one. Up 2 U...

firstchoice

Hey FC, I ended up with the D&H mags. They fit better in the Ruger than the OEM Magpul too, plus, they work better with stripper clips and a spoon cause they are aluminum and USGI format. Makes for faster and easier reloading.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 08:06:59 PM »
Why not go for a Lancer 10rnd translucent ?
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 08:30:51 PM »
Why not go for a Lancer 10rnd translucent ?

Don't look good on the FDE stock and black action. Besides it's quite a bit more per mag from what I saw. I picked up the D&H 10rnders for $11.99 per