Author Topic: Cleaning kit included with the SKS  (Read 2724 times)

Offline garyed057

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
Cleaning kit included with the SKS
« on: July 24, 2019, 02:12:10 PM »
Went to The range with my SKS yesterday and when I went to clean it a home after I found the cleaning kit in the stock to be  caked with thick grease. Had to clean it before I could use it. Is this typical?

Gary

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Cleaning kit included with the SKS
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 02:42:04 PM »
I think most kits are stuck in the buttstock and forgotten.  They are not commonly used when shooting in this day and age as commercial cleaning kits do a much better job and are quite a bit easier to use.  Of course, if you're in a situation where it's all you have, it will work just fine.  The kit has a bit of a learning curve required in order to use it, but each piece in it has at least one specific function (i.e. the cap of the cleaning kit case serves as a muzzle guide to help keep the steel cleaning rod from damaging rifling at the muzzle while the main case is used as a handle to pull/push the rod through). 

Offline santaroga

• constitutional imperialist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • Desert Rat
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 06:32:57 PM »
I have dozens of cosmolined SKS cleaning kits. my regular shooters I have them all cleaned up, becuase I use the tools. I don't commony run steel jags down my bores, though.  :o
chocolate chip vet.

rule 1: do stuff
rule 2: don't let "lacka" prevent you from doing stuff
rule 3: finish some thing every day

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 09:50:12 AM »
not the norm to find it there all caked with stuff. might be original to that sks, that would be neat.  8) ---->  :o  take a look on u/tube  at vids on the use of the kit, pretty amazing all the uses of each part in kit.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline echo83

• Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 11:08:23 AM »
My experience is that cosmoline gets anywhere that it can, and then some. I completely field stripped and cleaned my SKS for a few hours when I got it, and it still sweats cosmoline during each session at the range. (Particularly from the wood around the handguard and receiver.) If you're trying to get the cosmoline off, I'd recommend a soak in mineral spirits, or a spraybottle filled with mineral spirits to wash it away.

Pretty cool that yours came with a cleaning kit. Mine was missing the kit and the cleaning kit spring in the stock. I'm considering getting a kit and spring just to make mine complete, but I find that a bore snake and a basic rifle cleaning kit are way easier to use. I also don't want any unnecessary wear on my barrel, since my SKS is ancient.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 06:01:02 PM »
I think most kits are stuck in the buttstock and forgotten.  They are not commonly used when shooting in this day and age as commercial cleaning kits do a much better job and are quite a bit easier to use.  Of course, if you're in a situation where it's all you have, it will work just fine.  The kit has a bit of a learning curve required in order to use it, but each piece in it has at least one specific function (i.e. the cap of the cleaning kit case serves as a muzzle guide to help keep the steel cleaning rod from damaging rifling at the muzzle while the main case is used as a handle to pull/push the rod through).

Geez we learn something new here everyday  thumb1 :)

Offline OldManBryson

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 02:09:11 AM »
It seems my punch is attached somehow to the screwdriver thing.
Also, when cleaning the remaining cosmoline off the rifle, another punch I had that size wasn't near large enough to take the bolt assembly apart to clean the firing pin/firing pin area.  It took a larger punch and several smacks with the hammer to drive it out.

Offline jmaurer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
Does it look like this?
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/pub/products/1429300.jpg
Sounds like you may have an AK variant cleaning kit, instead of an SKS kit.

Offline OldManBryson

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 06:18:27 PM »
Yes, that’s the one.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 06:31:47 PM »
Yeah, like jmaurer said, you've got an AK cleaning kit. Also, it's not a punch, it's a gas port cleaning tool meant to knock carbon build up out of the gas port from the gas block end (pull off the handguard/gas tube assembly and the gas piston).

To remove the firing pin retaining pin, you'll need a hardened steel punch and a hard backing surface. If I recall correctly, a 3/16" punch to get it started and a 1/8" punch to finish drifting it out. If you can find a 5/32" or 4mm punch that would be ideal. It was undoubtedly designed for a 4mm punch (since all the world is metric except us).

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 08:32:04 PM »
I use roll of duct tape to set the bolt on top of on the garage floor. Works great and you won't lose your retainer pin . I leaned redneck from most of the boards about the SkS

Offline OldManBryson

• Cadet
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 10:16:19 PM »
I use roll of duct tape to set the bolt on top of on the garage floor. Works great and you won't lose your retainer pin . I leaned redneck from most of the boards about the SkS

That's exactly what I did! 

Also, the "AK" kit is the only one that my threaded cleaner rod is able to screw into the brush, jag, etc.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:56:23 PM by OldManBryson »

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 12:43:19 AM »
I use a short section of 1x4 with a hole drilled into it....nice and soft on the hardware...and you aren't abusing your duct tape. :)