Author Topic: Chinese Type 177  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Chinese Type 177
« on: April 03, 2019, 09:43:41 PM »
Okay, I've been holding out on this rarity. Submitted for your amusement: a genuine "Made in Shangai, China" .177 pellet rifle. This set me back $29.50 but it was worth it for the grins.  thumb1 :)

Matching serial number (yes, singular...there's only one). Side sling swivels, which shows it was obviously for cavalry use, or maybe just for horseplay  :))

It'll make mince meat out of an aluminum pop can, but fails to penetrate a thick plastic pail. That sophisticated testing suggests that the ballistic energy is probably lower than a wrist rocket with fresh rubber, but that energy is more concentrated in the smaller diameter pellet, so I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end. It might break the skin out to 10 yds and would undoubtedly leave a welt.

P.S. I knew it didn't really fit in lever guns but it doesn't fit here either.

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Chinese Type 177
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 10:20:10 PM »
Johnny....You'll put your eye out!!!  rofl2

Looks almost like the same action as my folding stock Ak'ish pellet rifle, just with an under barrel pump and not a side lever like mine.

Walnut trees be damned... Makes a nice nut plucker....so the nuts fall and hit the garage roof with a loud pleasing bang.. rofl  thumb1 it's the little things... I have more fun with it than my RWS pellet rifle I paid like 15 times or so more for..

Somewhere....I have a link to a place you can actually buy rebuild kits for them.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »
Johnny....You'll put your eye out!!!  rofl2

Looks almost like the same action as my folding stock Ak'ish pellet rifle, just with an under barrel pump and not a side lever like mine.

Walnut trees be damned... Makes a nice nut plucker....so the nuts fall and hit the garage roof with a loud pleasing bang.. rofl  thumb1 it's the little things... I have more fun with it than my RWS pellet rifle I paid like 15 times or so more for..

Somewhere....I have a link to a place you can actually buy rebuild kits for them.

rofl  Yeah, I always have my glasses on, so that should provide sufficient protection.

It would likely benefit from a rebuild, although it was noticeably more powerful and harder to cock after I cleaned it out with some WD-40 and paper towels.

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 10:34:21 PM »
Beware of real flammable chemicals/oils.... You can cause diesleing... Compression ignition and it can wipe out seals due to cylinder over pressure.  I've done it a few times with other pellet rifles that died a painful death  :) ..pack some petroleum jelly in the pellet skirt.. adds a nice crack.. and a little umph

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:39:14 PM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 03:52:46 AM »
Dieseling  fart1 Thanks GM  thumb1 good to know...not looking to create a compression ignition cylinder there  :o

I’ll clean it up a bit more and try the Vaseline trick.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 11:00:11 AM »
looks like fun. what propels  the pellets? gas  fart1, do you pump it?
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 11:03:22 AM »
You cock the lever under the barrel and it 'charges' a large spring in the receiver with a seal/plunger at the front. The trigger releases the seal/plunger under spring tension and forces air behind the pellet and into the bore.

Kewl little plinker Phos.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 09:51:47 PM »
Thanks LC!

Yup, simple pump action. Kind of cool to have a quiet "rifle" that doesn't require CO2 or a powder filled cartridge for propellant energy. It even has a rifled barrel, unlike a BB gun.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:31:10 AM by Phosphorus32 »