Author Topic: Is this not an MC-5D???  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Is this not an MC-5D???
« on: July 24, 2020, 01:33:21 PM »
This is posted up on our regional trader and the guy has it listed as a "D" for $850. Not sure what all comes with it(IE the pouch and any mags that may be in it) AND FYI, this is the same guy that has the Remington R1 1911 listed for $575 that I mentioned in my Norinco 1911 thread.

Anyway, am curious on value and also; did the MC-5D come with a 5-10rnd mag or am I thinking of the MAADI Egyptian AK?

Seller removed the listing so the pic is gone. See down below.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:51:36 PM by Greatguns »
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

owenj492

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Is this not an MC-5D???
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 02:13:33 PM »
According to this, it is a MC-5D:

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/mc-5d.html

The most important read here:

"MC-5D. There is a reason these rifles were sold with a 5 round mag. Take a look at the mag release. Its not an AK style release. The release is made from parts of the original release used on a 10 round non detachable mag. A fully loaded 30 round mag weighs a lot more and these releases are notorious for letting the mag fall out after firing the first round. The 5 rounders weigh less and don't fall out."

And I have seen youtube videos of the 30 round magazines falling out while attempting to fire the weapon.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 02:18:03 PM »
According to this, it is a MC-5D:

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/mc-5d.html

The most important read here:

"MC-5D. There is a reason these rifles were sold with a 5 round mag. Take a look at the mag release. Its not an AK style release. The release is made from parts of the original release used on a 10 round non detachable mag. A fully loaded 30 round mag weighs a lot more and these releases are notorious for letting the mag fall out after firing the first round. The 5 rounders weigh less and don't fall out."

And I have seen youtube videos of the 30 round magazines falling out while attempting to fire the weapon.

Well, that's what I thought, but didn't really think to go to the guide to check. So this is probably more like a $550-$650 gun at best.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 04:11:01 PM »
The difference is obvious if you have one in hand...it actually is stamped MC 5D.  M's have this stock too, so the unless the seller is like us...google will show them an M first. They don't notice pesky things like the mag release.

I kinda want one, but the only one I have seen locally was seven years ago at a gun show. The seller was some 80 year old cowboy type, with nothing but six shooters and holsters...and this MC-5D outfitted with the brightest clamp on green laser I have ever seen.  He turned it on, and was waving it with a 30 rounder hanging out....totally freaking out the post Sandy Hook wives in tote across the entire building.

He only wanted $895 for it.  rofl
I didn't have the heart to tell him the mag wasn't right for the gun, and instead left him to be glared at without me being an accomplice.  ::)

About two minutes later I was scoffing at a NIB Thumbhole sporter at $550  pullhair1

I have not seen a commercial SKS for sale around here....anywhere since.

With this guy, bring a laptop, show him it's not a D, but an M...and haggle it down...especially if he doesn't have the five rounder.  But block access to Gunbroker first.  :P

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 04:18:27 PM »
The difference is obvious if you have one in hand...it actually is stamped MC 5D.  M's have this stock too, so the unless the seller is like us...google will show them an M first. They don't notice pesky things like the mag release.

I kinda want one, but the only one I have seen locally was seven years ago at a gun show. The seller was some 80 year old cowboy type, with nothing but six shooters and holsters...and this MC-5D outfitted with the brightest clamp on green laser I have ever seen.  He turned it on, and was waving it with a 30 rounder hanging out....totally freaking out the post Sandy Hook wives in tote across the entire building.

He only wanted $895 for it.  rofl
I didn't have the heart to tell him the mag wasn't right for the gun, and instead left him to be glared at without me being an accomplice.  ::)

About two minutes later I was scoffing at a NIB Thumbhole sporter at $550  pullhair1

I have not seen a commercial SKS for sale around here....anywhere since.

With this guy, bring a laptop, show him it's not a D, but an M...and haggle it down...especially if he doesn't have the five rounder.  But block access to Gunbroker first.  :P

I actually have been emailing back and forth. Asked first what all came with it and  if he had the original 5 rnd mag. His response was that he had never seen one with a 5 rnd mag and didn't know there was such a thing. I then, with the door opened up, was able to explain the differences and sent a link from the guide. His last reply was simply "Okay, thanks"
Debating whether to respond and tell him he is $200-$300 over priced for that rifle. I am thinking of getting a PSA KS-47 so will pass on this one.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 05:25:58 PM »
In today's market...I wouldn't feel bad about a $6-650 price range.  They are uncommon to find pretty much intact. It doesn't look like a Classic and it takes AK mags. :)

The five rounder mags do come up, but will make you wince at the cost, considering.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 05:11:25 PM »
I owned a MC-5D once and can confirm the mag-dropping-out problem. It can't handle the weight. If you could find actual M or SKS-30 trigger groups and swapped one out, it would be fine. But we know how VERY unlikely that would be. The MC-5D supposedly stood for: Monte Carlo , 5 rd., Detachable mag. It fed well using 5 or 10 rd mags but always had issues with the heavy ones because of the original fixed mag style mag latch.

And, as Justin stated, the receiver will have MC-5D stamped on it for definite clarification. "They are not all M's" as Joe would say! RIP Joe Hersey!

My advice would be to pass on it if you're wanting something for hi-capacity mags. Just my $.02, though.

firstchoice

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 05:30:26 PM »
I owned a MC-5D once and can confirm the mag-dropping-out problem. It can't handle the weight. If you could find actual M or SKS-30 trigger groups and swapped one out, it would be fine. But we know how VERY unlikely that would be. The MC-5D supposedly stood for: Monte Carlo , 5 rd., Detachable mag. It fed well using 5 or 10 rd mags but always had issues with the heavy ones because of the original fixed mag style mag latch.

And, as Justin stated, the receiver will have MC-5D stamped on it for definite clarification. "They are not all M's" as Joe would say! RIP Joe Hersey!

My advice would be to pass on it if you're wanting something for hi-capacity mags. Just my $.02, though.

firstchoice

Yeah I wouldn't touch the thing at that price and would probably buy an AK or a PSA KS-47 if I wanted to run AK mags. It was more just a point of discussion. I was just confusing it with the MAADI which I think, post-ban, was sold with a 5rnd mag as well. Kind of like the 10 rnd single stack WASRs.

owenj492

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 06:10:00 PM »

firstchoice

Dumb question: Can you switch the trigger group to the M/D trigger group or is that impossible due to how the trigger group is attached under the receiver? http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-14.htm

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 06:47:07 PM by owenj492 »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »

firstchoice

Dumb question: Can you switch the trigger group to the M/D trigger group or is that impossible due to how the trigger group is attached under the receiver? http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-14.htm

Others would know better than I, but I think the FCG installs into the receiver the same way. It is the magwell area that is slightly different so that is a definite maybe.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 10:57:36 AM »
Both mount the same way with the studs up front latching into the two slots in the receiver just forward of the disconnector hole.

The different shapes on the front (squared on detachable mag trigger groups, angled on std. ones) probably do mean that a detachable mag trigger group may not fit into a std. SKS w/o a bit of work to relieve the magwell a bit. 

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 07:24:29 PM »

firstchoice

Yeah I wouldn't touch the thing at that price and would probably buy an AK or a PSA KS-47 if I wanted to run AK mags. It was more just a point of discussion. I was just confusing it with the MAADI which I think, post-ban, was sold with a 5rnd mag as well. Kind of like the 10 rnd single stack WASRs.

The post ban Maadi RML were sold with two 5rnd double stack mags and would accept most standard and drum AK mags as well.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 10:50:59 AM »
SO, looks like the guy did his research and listened to me because he relisted the rifle correcting his nomenclature and also dropped the price down to $675, which I think is reasonable in this climate. I also found a correct 5 rnd AK mag for $28 on GB. This has me tempted to buy now.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 10:49:21 PM »
SO, more news, The guy bumped his listing on the MC-5D yesterday dropping the price again. I called today and made arrangements to buy it without the 30 rnd mag which I didn't want. He had it on consignment at a pawn shop where he knows the owner so I paid 3% to use my CC, but no tax and no FFL fee. Then I found an OEM Norinco 5 rnd mag online for $25 shipped. I also have a Chinese 7 pocket 20 rnd AK mag bandolier so going to utilize that.
Does anyone have a complete package of one of these I can compare to to complete mine?(oiler, cleaning kit, etc)
Anyway, here are some pics.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »
Which oiler are you looking for?
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 12:57:44 PM »

Probably the one I gave you, LOL.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 01:24:20 PM »

Probably the one I gave you, LOL.

Sent you a PM.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 02:00:19 PM »
Heckuva deal GG!  thumb1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 02:22:51 PM »
Heckuva deal GG!  thumb1

Yeah, Basically just over $600 including the 5 rnd OEM mag. I also found KCI 20rnd mags to fit my bando for as low as $8.99/ea.

All the SKSs I've owned over the years and this is my first with AK mags.

owenj492

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 03:05:33 PM »
Heckuva deal GG!  thumb1

Yeah, Basically just over $600 including the 5 rnd OEM mag. I also found KCI 20rnd mags to fit my bando for as low as $8.99/ea.

All the SKSs I've owned over the years and this is my first with AK mags.

The ones that take AK magazines are addictive also, I have 5 Sporter models and 1 NR model, sometime in the future I want to add a SKS-M's to my collection, not now with these outrageous prices.....