Author Topic: Now, Yugo and find your own  (Read 11884 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Now, Yugo and find your own
« on: April 06, 2015, 12:58:32 PM »
Cause, these are mine rofl

I have been known to suffer from gun gluttony, and Yugoslavian Mauser's were no exception to the rule. thumb1 The almost complete series of Yugo Mauser's from the M24/47 to the M48BO, with a Romanian contract Vz24. The M48BO and Vz24 were a package deal I stumbled into. I'm still from time to time hunting an original M24, M24/52, the Cz based refurb, and an original M48 to round it out. :)

First is the M24/47, with stripes thumb1, It a basic Yugoslavian copy of the Vz 24 or Fn Model 1924. These were M24s updated in 1947 on through the 50's, while the M48 rifles were being built new.

Then a refurb'ed M48A, again I love stripes :)  This one only has a stamped floor plate, the trigger assy. and barrel bands are machined, which is typical for the M48A series. A plain M48 would have all machined parts, floor plate, ect would be machined.

This is a battle weary M48A, more accurately, a M48B stamped as a M48A, it has all metal stamped, mag floor plate, barrel rings and a stamped and stamped and welded trigger guard as well. While all most all M48 rifles were refurb'ed and or never issued, only stored away for the big one. This one didn't make in to the storage lockers with the majority of these rifles, and who knows, maybe used during the break up of Yugoslavia or used by say, Syria, one will never know. Out of all the 8mm Mausers I own, If I had to pick one to live with, this is it. This one shoots better than even my German or Persian Mauser. Bore shows some use and wear when compared with the above M48, but very strong rifling, also the action is real smooth and broken in.

Now here we have the M48BO, a non issued weapon, a sterile contract weapon made for, many speculate Egypt, or for use in Syria. Devoid of all Yugoslavian markings, except for a few inspection stamps and the serial number. These are typically found in off the factory line new condition, however, they can be found, well used and abused as some were delivered to the middle east.

Then a Romanian capture weapon, a Czech Vz 24 decrested and heavliy refurb'ed by Romania at some point.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
Re: Now, Yugo and find your own
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »
 thumb1   Sweet. GreaseMonkey "The Enabler".  I swear you have subliminal ( gotta get 1 c'mon you know you want 1) messages in your posts.

So while I was picking up that m91/30, I just had to look at a Yugo m24/47 they had on the shelf. It was pretty but honestly that's all I know about them. Anything to look for in particular? It was in my price range.

( When they find my corpse buried under a pile of these dang bolt action millsurps...GM's name will be amongst the 1's responsible.)
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 01:55:43 PM »
thumb1   Sweet. GreaseMonkey "The Enabler".  I swear you have subliminal ( gotta get 1 c'mon you know you want 1) messages in your posts.

So while I was picking up that m91/30, I just had to look at a Yugo m24/47 they had on the shelf. It was pretty but honestly that's all I know about them. Anything to look for in particular? It was in my price range.

( When they find my corpse buried under a pile of these dang bolt action millsurps...GM's name will be amongst the 1's responsible.)

Well, I gotta get you off your bat1 Finnish kick some how.  rofl  getcha some thumb1

M24/47 are a fairly common Mauser, quality wise, as good as any other.  thumb1  They are more or less an updated variant of the M-24 Mauser , rebarreled and if my feeble mind is working, can take a M48 bayonet, which is easy to find.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »
Awesome Greasemonkey!  clap1

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 02:26:10 PM »
Cool  thumb1 Whats a good price on these? Not that I'm trying to get hooked on anything else ATM but There are a couple of nice examples in my area.

As for the Finnish kick...I'm already hooked...hook, line and sinker  rofl anything else is just to bide my time between those [SA] stamped beauties. Already got the word out at my LGS's and shops that they can add mosins to the list of things to call and tell me to get my butt down there.  :)) I'm not the only 1 in my area though. I don't have much competition when it comes to SKS's but apperently there are some mosin lovers in my hills.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »
225-275 is typical range for a M24/47, J&G has them for 250 last time I looked.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »
Cool thanks man  thumb1 I think the OTD would be between $225 and 250 so sounds right on target.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 07:59:42 PM »
That's quite the nice family of Yugoslavian Mausers you have there GM!  thumb1  Love that tiger-striped stock. 

I only have the one Yugo-syrian M48  :))  Of course, I wouldn't mind having more either.

Sounds like you've got a live one there armedhippie.  Everyone needs a Mauser addiction to add variety to their Mosin or SKS addictions  :))

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 09:01:41 PM »
That's quite the nice family of Yugoslavian Mausers you have there GM!  thumb1  Love that tiger-striped stock. 

I only have the one Yugo-syrian M48  :))  Of course, I wouldn't mind having more either.

Sounds like you've got a live one there armedhippie.  Everyone needs a Mauser addiction to add variety to their Mosin or SKS addictions  :))

That's what I'm afraid of  rofl  With friends like yall...Who needs a bank account ( eh... their overrated anyhow)

J/k aside, Yall  posting up beauties like these Yugo's , Gets me to expand my knowledge base and has gotten me to branch off my beaten path, which is proving to be quite fun  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 09:18:37 PM »
Since it is Yugoslavian, might as well chuck out the M57 Tokarevs. thumb1  Oh Armedhippie, more goodies, not Finnish rofl2

WARNING: taking photos with the garage door up during a windy summer thunderstorm is not a smart idea. thumb1

No weapons were damaged during the photo session. :)  Got my Cz52s also  cry1 bat1

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 10:14:02 PM »
Dang it man.... rofl  Your giving me way to many ideas here. So the more money I spend on other goodies gives me less to spend on Finnish mosins eh? I see how it is.  rofl Those are sweet. The way they parts numbered everything is a YUGO give away for certain.

Man...Gotta admit I have yet to get my 1st surplus handgun yet. So have at it and feel free to point me in the right direction, we all know my surplus will is weak  chuckles1

Still kicking myself for not picking up a 1944 Izzy refurb Nagant revolver, when I had the chance...Not trying to make that mistake again. Theirs a P-64 for $250 close by me, that has perked my interest.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
I don't have a Yugo M57, but the Romanian TTC Tokarev is nice, and they're usually quite cheap, $200-250.  There's nothing like an 85gr pistol bullet traveling at 1700fps to give flat hard-hitting ballistics.  They're interesting mechanically as well, with a hammer group that lifts out as a unit.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 11:39:39 PM »
Yes, the Rommy version is nice, the Yugo has a slightly longer grip and holds an extra round. Also, the safety is not added at import, it's built in. The one pain I found with the TTC-33 was dealing with the recoil spring, the M57 fixes this with a captured recoil spring.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 08:05:48 PM »
Enabling to an art form!  rofl  I could see yall both....on the street with a variety of millsurps in yall's trench coats.  "Com'on  man, I got what you need man.... What ya looking for? 7.62x39,7.62x25, 8mm mauser, 9x19, 7.62x54r? Makes ya feel good man, REALLLLLL  good"

Well it may not be a M57 or a TTC-33...But  I'm still blaming yall thoroughly...  rofl2

My new to me Norinco Model 54-1   thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 08:27:18 PM »
Nice Chinese Tok hippie,  thumb1  and some Romy ammo to feed it.  Wonder if the serial dating system works on them, similar to an SKS?

Enabling, no, I wouldn't do that.....

Pssssstt, lookie here, rofl

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 10:15:49 PM »
 rofl

In the lil bit I've had to research it since I've been home, I know I've read that it is possible to date them with the S/N. Trying to find where I read it again.

Man 'o' man, Pictures just don't do these justice. This M54-1/Type 54 feels like it was meant for my hand! I can't wait to shoot it. ( and I honestly don't shoot much anymore) So is the Romy ammo good/ok stuff? The head stamp is 22 over 82 My LGS has a good, although fairly expensive, stash of the stuff.

Those look so familiar...But I'm still scratching my head here.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 10:33:56 PM »
Nice Chinese Tok hippie,  thumb1  and some Romy ammo to feed it.  Wonder if the serial dating system works on them, similar to an SKS?

Heck yeah it does!!  The Chinese were nothing if not consistent. Damn commie system!

29th year of production on Hippies Tok right there.  That comes out to 1972 1982 by my calcs.   Pretty nice one hippie!  thumb1
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:24:17 PM by running-man »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 10:41:09 PM »
Cool Type 54!  I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  The Romanian Factory 22 ammo for Mosins and Mausers is fine so I assume the 7.62x25 will be good too but I have no first hand experience. I assume your ammo was made in 1982.

Psst, you got any .303?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 10:51:38 PM »
Hippie, thats the Cz52, the Czech made Tokarev. And the Romy ammo thumb1  Good stuff, hard to find now, but good stuff, stock pile it while it''s available.

Heck yeah it does!!  The Chinese were nothing if not consistent. Damn commie system!

29th year of production on Hippies Tok right there.  That comes out to 1972 by my calcs.   Pretty nice one hippie!  thumb1

UUuhhmmmmm yea,  OK, If it follows a pattern, the Type 51 was first adopted in 1951, production est around 1/4 million pistols.

It was accepted in 1954, it superseded the Type 51, hence Type 54 moniker, and if it was the 29th year of production, according to my fingers, toes and rocks,, 1954+29th year of production=1983 production date on this particular Tokarev

Rechecking here, 29th year of production minus 1972 equals 1943, the China/Russia love affair was not even thought of in '43    did I miss something? :o Do I need to calibrate my fingers toes and rocks again?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 11:23:19 PM »
UUuhhmmmmm yea,  OK, If it follows a pattern, the Type 51 was first adopted in 1951, production est around 1/4 million pistols.

It was accepted in 1954, it superseded the Type 51, hence Type 54 moniker, and if it was the 29th year of production, according to my fingers, toes and rocks,, 1954+29th year of production=1983 production date on this particular Tokarev

Rechecking here, 29th year of production minus 1972 equals 1943, the China/Russia love affair was not even thought of in '43    did I miss something? :o Do I need to calibrate my fingers toes and rocks again?

Dammit, see that's what happens when I try and type on a little 2x4" phone screen!  1982 is what I meant.  ???

GM, you of all people should know that 29th year of production does not equal 1954+29.   It just doesn't, ever.  Not for an SKS, not for a T53, not for a T54 Tok. 

If I see anyone else spewing Type XX + S/N = year of production I'll personally beat them with this here bat...bat1  chuckles1