Author Topic: SVT40 ?  (Read 10391 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: SVT40 ?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 11:32:57 PM »
I'd rather have another M39 :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Luke2236

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 10:04:04 AM »
Everything pretty well covered above! Be careful first time you tear it down, there are many springs and small parts that love to go flying LOL. Some good vids on Youtube of the process. Yes pay careful attention to the gas setup, mine need a bit of attention there at first - a good cleaning before first use and after each use is essential. But it's not really that bad, just look at it as spending quality time with baby! Highly recommend you pick up one of those SVT tool kits (fleabay) as it makes gas adjustment much easier and has some more specific items for dissasembly/service. I reload for mine and have it spitting brass about 3-4 feet on the 1.3 setting and cycles reliably every shot. If you decide to go the same route, slug the barrel first as theirbores are a wee bit large for a regular .308 bullet and are happier with something a bit larger - I'm using .312 diameter Hornady offerings in mine. These are great old gals, they just need a bit of loving is all.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:09:18 AM by Luke2236 »
Canadian...eh!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 11:18:05 AM »
Most all of the Soviet rifles/ammo uses the .310-.312 diameter bullet, this bullet size is also shared with the Japanese 7.7 and .303 British, even the Ak/SKS if your loading up really light loads, I have some x54r training ammo that replicates the x39 round. They are from East Germany, these have a 124 grain bullet, like x39 and duplicate the recoil etc.
About the only Soviet style rifle that could utilize .308 sized bullets are some of the Finnish Mosins that were rebarreled, my Finnish M28/76 could use them. Again, these could be hit or miss, you would need to slug the bore of the respective rifle to find out.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 07:52:57 PM »
Hi C&R Junkies,

My long time associates accepted my trade offer for his SVT, and it is now in DROS. It's a '41 Tula with a baggie of spares (I hope they're spares). Plumb bolt, nice wood, rifling looks good (but dirty).

Traded 2 early SKS, and 2 '41 Mosins. I'm stoked. I never could afford to get one at todays prices, but my trade fodder equals what he was asking.

Do the SVT use the same sling as the Mosins? PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »

Do the SVT use the same sling as the Mosins? PAX
Yes, and thats what comes with 99% of the time. unless someone here knows better.
Also they usually come with mosin pouches, thats wrong but seeing as you will never have a spare mag or two it doesnt matter.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 08:46:36 PM »
Nice grab and fair trade PAX!  thumb1 Congratulations! Looking forward to pics once you get it out of CA gun jail  :))

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 09:05:18 PM »
This shows the correct slings...http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/Svt-Photos85.asp

you can use a Mosin sling, but technically it's not right. It amounts to putting a Romanian Ak sling on the SKS.. close, but no cigar.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 10:00:58 AM »
This shows the correct slings...http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/Svt-Photos85.asp

you can use a Mosin sling, but technically it's not right. It amounts to putting a Romanian Ak sling on the SKS.. close, but no cigar.

Well i think about half the period photos i have must be wrong then because they are all mosin slings, but about half are the style on that page so either way half are right

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2017, 10:05:22 AM »
actually, on recount 75% vs 25% mosin.   The ones i thought were mauser slings may be the first type so i stand corrected.
Which is annoying as now i need the right one.  :-[

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 11:39:11 AM »
More info  :)  Usually the PPSH, AVT, SVT38 and 40 had their own dedicated sling

http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/russian_svt40_sling.htm
http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/russian_ppsh_sling.htm

Mosin slings "can" be used and were commonly used.. there were alot more Mosins fielded than all of those put together. So a Russian soldier pops/tears/looses a sling, the natural thing is grab a Mosin sling. I have seen a PPSH sling in use on the M38 and M44 carbine, I think a Mosin sling might even fit the SKS. While it's technically not correct, it does work and fit fine....

If it makes you feel a little better here is one of my M91 Dragoons wearing, and it's still wearing that SVT-40 sling today. thumb1

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 12:04:27 PM »
Nice thread ! And congrats Pax ! You keep that surplus coming to our beautiful State. Cant wait to see your new friend  thumb1