Author Topic: Advice needed on 1941 Finnish M91, Hex receiver, Please( Lots of Pics added)  (Read 20895 times)

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
So...I've remained strong on not getting mosinitus...till today.  Any advice on rarity, value and fair market price would be Greatly appreciated from those of you who already have the bug.  thumb1

Here's what I've researched so far, I believe it to be a 1941 barreled Finnish Tikka arsenal rework, Russian hex receiver M91

Barrel shank marked--

[SA]:     Suomen Armeiji - Finnish Army property stamp

T inside point-down triangle inside circle:     Mark of the Tikkakoski (Tikka) Arsenal - Finland

26,000 Range s/n

D marked----chambered to handle the Soviet-Finnish D round, which was the standard round of the WW2 era, Signifies barrel throat has been relieved to handle the Russian and Finnish 'Heavy Ball' ammo in use.

1941 date

Hex receiver marked-

Russian Imperial Eagle with п к ( common during wartime to not be ground off)

NZF stamped-------Austrian WW1 captured and sold to Finland sometime in the '20s

Other parts/markings...

mismatched s/n on ball of bolt ( Smoothest I've handled. Heck even RM would't need a mallet to work it.  :))

NO s/n anywhere else on any part to be seen ( haven't had the stock off )

Bottom of mag scrubbed cleanly

Very small stamps here and there...Old style Bow an Arrow Tula/ Tula hammer/ I think even a Izzy arrow or 2.

Correct cleaning rod for a Finn

Finn swivels, sling attachments

Finnish 2 piece stock with crossed cannons ( letter L inside IIRC)

Overall great fit and finish, Great bluing and un-dicked with stock. Looks like a good entry into the world of mosins. With the way I collect and what I like ...It is only a matter of time till 1 ended up in my hands. I'm still kicking myself for not getting a 1944 Izzy Nagant revolver because I thought it was a lil high, @ the same place. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

I've learned more about mosins in the last few hours than I've ever cared to know, so seems like I might want to bring her home.  Its on hold till thrusday and I could put it on layoway with a phone call and a $20 bill the next time i go by.

Any advice is most wellcome Fellas and feel free to point out anything thats way off base as well. Anything I get is most always just for my personal collection and enjoyment. What would yall feel comfortable paying?  Thanks for yall's time  thumb1

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:14:48 AM by armedhippie »
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Advice needed on 1941 Finnish M91, Hex receiver, Please
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 01:03:02 AM »
So it looks like this one of mine, other than a year older

If it's unaltered, get it, M91s aint going to get any cheaper, especially Finnish ones.  Magazine covers were not typically matched, bolts were typically, though a mis-match is possible. Being a mis-matched bolt, I would suggest a headspace check, just to be on the safe side.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 01:24:12 AM »
And it begins. Next thing you know you're piling in a m38, PU, SA 91/30, t53, and ooh don't forget a Remington and while you're at it may as well top off the American faction with a Westinghouse. Hell I don't even freaking like Mosins and I have more of them than I do Mausers believe it or not. Are you sure this is the path you want to take? Just think about it. Sleep on it. Think of the children...whatever that means.

I've bought a few m91s lately and on average they're bringing $275-350. My Mosin Legendariness (<-- not a word) is not developed enough to know what might make an ordinary $300 m91 an ultra desirable $500+ one. I'm guessing the Austrian provenance definitely adds some desirability.

I don't know. It sounds like with your cursory research you already know more about Tikka m91s than I ever will. But it sounds anything up to $350 should be a sweet deal. Congrats on your impending Mosin purchase...I can tell it's going to happen.

"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 02:05:51 AM »
So it looks like this one of mine, other than a year older

If it's unaltered, get it, M91s aint going to get any cheaper, especially Finnish ones.  Magazine covers were not typically matched, bolts were typically, though a mis-match is possible. Being a mis-matched bolt, I would suggest a headspace check, just to be on the safe side.

Yep  thumb1 except the [SA] is directly above the T  and only 1 AZF stamp at an angle.

And it begins. Next thing you know you're piling in a m38, PU, SA 91/30, t53, and ooh don't forget a Remington and while you're at it may as well top off the American faction with a Westinghouse. Hell I don't even freaking like Mosins and I have more of them than I do Mausers believe it or not. Are you sure this is the path you want to take? Just think about it. Sleep on it. Think of the children...whatever that means.

I've bought a few m91s lately and on average they're bringing $275-350. My Mosin Legendariness (<-- not a word) is not developed enough to know what might make an ordinary $300 m91 an ultra desirable $500+ one. I'm guessing the Austrian provenance definitely adds some desirability.

I don't know. It sounds like with your cursory research you already know more about Tikka m91s than I ever will. But it sounds anything up to $350 should be a sweet deal. Congrats on your impending Mosin purchase...I can tell it's going to happen.

rofl That's what I'm worried about.  rofl Your right Blicero...Who am I trying to kid, I'll be waiting for 'em to open on thursday  8)

Sometimes its good to be a bit ocd   :))   The receiver has great bluing as well with no visible pitting and what looks to be 2 sets of hardness tests marks. Also has the rear sight remarked on the right side for meters.

Thanks fellas, I can probably get it for $225.  Sounds like it will be a decent deal.

I used to not even give bolt actions more than a nodding glance but... Picked up a Dutch Hembrug 6.5x53r M95 N.M. #3 just to find out what it was ( Had never seen 1 before and the shop owners had no clue either). I love the history on these proven old war horses and Enjoy getting to know them even more than shooting 'em.

Now....RM is gonna get lonely being 1 of the last hold outs on these boat paddles.

Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 02:19:05 AM »
Maybe you will get lucky, I bought a VKT M91 a few years ago, tore it down to clean, and low and behold, there was an M27 trigger setup. Oh that girl has a glorious trigger, almost as nice as my modern Cz rifle.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 02:50:13 AM »
Maybe you will get lucky, I bought a VKT M91 a few years ago, tore it down to clean, and low and behold, there was an M27 trigger setup. Oh that girl has a glorious trigger, almost as nice as my modern Cz rifle.

Cool, I'll definitely be learning a lot with this one. When I'm able to bring it home I'll post pics for sure.

From what I've read so far... The actual date and armory of the receiver might be found under the "receiver tang" when taken apart?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 02:54:45 AM »
Yup, provided they didn't grind it off. My oldest receiver is on a VKT M91, 1896 Chatellerault.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 03:07:27 AM »
Sweet thumb1 From everything I've been able to find out so far....I think I will be developing a problem... rofl

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 05:59:57 AM »
For $225-250, run don't walk  :o  :))

Pics on Friday  thumb1

Geeze GM, a Chatellerault receiver, really?!  drool1  :))

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 09:22:15 AM »
Noooo Hippie!!!!

RM is the last one left in the lonely mens club.   cry1

I have no idea whether what you've described is a good deal or not, is a nice rifle or not.  The fact that Blicero has more MN's than Mausers and the fact that even LC has MNs strewn about the collection should tell you that the problem is serious and there is no cure!  chuckles1

Good luck man!  I'll be waiting for photos when you bring it home!  thumb1

Offline Ol Relic

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »
I agree with the above-$225 is a pretty smoking deal.   Check the headspace for safety, though.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 12:14:33 PM »

Geeze GM, a Chatellerault receiver, really?!  drool1  :))

Sorry, I royally screwed the year up, it's not a 1896  banghead1, but it is still a Chatellerault, only from 1894 thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 01:43:18 PM »
I have a mosin in the box under the bed somewhere...   no idea what it is.  10 years from now I will open the time capsule, I only hope its something worth having like the ones you guys speak of.  If not, I'm sending it to RM..... stat.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »
Noooo Hippie!!!!

RM is the last one left in the lonely mens club.   cry1

Sorry man, I believe I've held out as long as I can. With this awesome group of Enablers, I'm surprised both of us don't have at least a dozen by now.  rofl

We've all seen it before, Milsurps coming in by the boatload, plentiful and dirt cheap and then prices start going up....supplies start running dry...and then we're all crying bout the good ole days. Well I may be late to the party, but not gonna miss the boat ( while their still in my price range)  thumb1 .

From what yall've had to say and with the plethora of info out there on these canoe paddles, I believe I'll end up with a nice example with a great history behind it  :) .

However...Runningman... If these start cutting into my SKS budget, You have my full permission to kick my hind-end, all around my chunk of the Blue Ridge.  rofl2

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 05:04:27 PM »
There's nothing quite as zen as chucking the bolt on an old school bolt gun. The sound of it opening and closing, the tactile feedback, it's just so much more sensational & pleasing than a semi.

I hope you picked it up today. $225 is a righteous deal.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
Its kinda like letting out a grunt when you pull trigger and hearing the rotation of a nagant revolver just before the hammer whistles through the air.   Reminds me of an old gear machine clank clank clank as it pulls up boulder into the air before letting it swing.   :)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 05:50:10 PM »
Blicero reminds me of good ol' Mr Burns!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 08:12:19 PM »

However...Runningman... If these start cutting into my SKS budget, You have my full permission to kick my hind-end, all around my chunk of the Blue Ridge.  rofl2

Hey, a quick drive, I'm there, let me know RM, I'll kick it all over the glorious Blue Ridge. thumb1 thumb1 rofl2

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 11:18:02 PM »
I've learned more about mosins in the last few hours than I've ever cared to know, so seems like I might want to bring her home.  Its on hold till thrusday and I could put it on layoway with a phone call and a $20 bill the next time i go by.

OK, it's Thursday bat1  Spill it, is it on lay-a-way or am I going to have to get my sick self in my car and run down I-81 south?

I mean it gives you an excuse to go buy cool matching sealed Finnish ammo!!

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »
 rofl Somethings going around cuz I'm not feeling well myself and taking care of a sick lil 1 home from school as well. But.....

I did go by yesterday ( as soon as they opened...I have a problem  rofl2 )  Bad news is $250 OTD is as low as he would go, Good news my buddy who works there threw in 50 loose rounds of brass cased, primer and bullet sealed ammo with a 167   81   headstamp.

Never thought I'd be shelling out More than $200 for a Mosin, Then again I once walked away from a SKS cuz $200 seemed overpriced at the time ( wouldn't now) But this 1 is beautiful and the bore is the best I've ever seen, Crisp and shiny, Looks brand new really.

Gonna post up a few pics I snagged while there, later. Hopefuly yall can tell me if I did well or learned a lesson. There are still a few >$200 mosins to be had in my area but they are rough, mixmasters bordering on sewer pipe bores.

Getting it from a local pawn shop. They just bought it used, tuesday so they have to hold it for 15 days before they can legaly let it out the door. In the same lot of guns they bought was a [SA] stamped finn with a SK.Y ( civil guard ?) stamp that already went for $300 to a local mosin collector ( that is why I couldn't get this 1 for less  banghead1 ) and apparently he's not the only 1.

Thanks for the help fellas....although if the safe begins to overflow with these dang boat oars, I may end up cussing yall...  rofl