Author Topic: My new 91/30  (Read 882 times)

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
My new 91/30
« on: September 27, 2021, 09:24:32 AM »
I sold my beautiful, unique and accurate EM332  cry1 and I got a  ...... GARBAGE ROD with a cracked handguard and mismatched bolt. What was I thinking  pullhair1 See the pics for the auction site below, I'll make my own once I get a break from work. It's a nice Izzy and the bolt is all Tula, it fits nicely, so all the bolt part are original - there is a difference between refurb mixmasters and this one, all the bolt parts feel like they belong together. Honest wear but nothing too bad. If not for the cracks I'd be happy. Damn lying sellers. Apart for the bolt the rest of the numbers are matching. Both numbers are definitely in the SCW ranges. Nice Izzy stock cartouche, no import stamp. The rear sight base is not pinned. The front sight has BBQ part and feels like it was replaced more recently from a refurb. No flaming bombs (including under the butt plate) or hangers, though.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: My new 91/30
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 04:37:03 PM »
I take it that it's a 1936 or 1937 Izhevsk? I love the stock, especially the cartouche  8) Does the rear sight base have only a single pin at the rear?

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 10:04:40 PM »
Some quick and dirty zoom ins for your viewing pleasure. The light is not great to properly capture the cartouches, but you get the idea. It's my first non-refurb and it's really cool to see so many cartouches on a Mosin. Interestingly the ГВ acceptance mark went on both the stock and the barrel. A ton of diamond cartouches we see on SKSs (I found even more that not shown on the pics)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 02:43:36 PM »
I re-read your initial summary and I think you're spot on. I can't see the front sight clearly enough to offer an opinion on originality of that part. The mismatched bolt is very common on SCWs.

The cartouche and military representative's final inspection and acceptance marking, Г.Вауллин (G.Vaullin), 1935-39, confirm that it's an Izhevsk stock. Source: https://www.m9130.info/markings-and-proofmarks

I got my Izhevsk SCW M91/30 about 7 years ago. It has a Spanish made replacement stock. Mine has a Tula bolt too. The font differences between Izhevsk and Tula are quite distinct.

Rough finishing on beechwood stock.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 05:22:41 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 01:11:07 PM »
Mismatched is very normal.. both of my SCW Mosins are totally mismatched, and one was sanded heavily there according to some collectors, which is also another trait.. Mine are a little out the date and usual serial range.. but both are verified SCWs based on features and markings. Both have the typical "Made in USSR" stamp..

and the beautiful, unique and accurate EM332 is quite happy.. thanks..  thumb1 :)

First is a '35 Tula, the heavily sanded one.. has one of the metal wire sling hangers.

Not only is this one Spanish Civil War, it's a 1924 Izhevsk unconverted Dragoon.. still has the crude SCW cleaning rod and both wire sling hangers..

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 04:26:41 PM »
Very nice rods 32P and GM! That dragoon is especially cool.

There is a chance that mine is not a SCW one, just somehow a non-refurb that got it early. But I don't see SA stamps anywhere and there aren't many other options for it. Must be a SCW.

For all my whining  ;) I do like my new 91/30. It's beat up but got character alright.  thumb1

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 04:30:54 PM »
Forgot to mention that the finish feels "Garand'y", but not as nice (but still nicely that the refurbs). Apparently they soaked it in boiled oil. https://www.gunboards.com/threads/another-original-finish-soviet-mosin-thread.577769/