Author Topic: Lee-Enfield .22 RF Pattern 14 No.2  (Read 5655 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Lee-Enfield .22 RF Pattern 14 No.2
« on: July 30, 2015, 08:59:08 PM »
Picked this up in a lot of 4 rifles at the latest Rock Island Auction (about a month ago).  A matching single shot .22 trainer converted by A.G. Parker & Co. from a 1915 BSA No1 MkIII*.  The conversion is interesting: they reamed the bore and installed a .22 sleeve, cut the original firing pin, altered the bolt head with an offset hole and small firing pin for.22 rimfire which is struck by the original (now truncated) firing pin.  Upon the initial conversion they were left without a magazine.  Later a magazine with the spring and follower removed was added to catch empty shells. The mag on my example has been further cut down so it looks a bit odd. Other than the above modifications, the rifle is nearly identical in weight, dimensions and appearance to a full bore No1 MkIII* to give the feel of the actual battle rifle without the recoil...stating the obvious.  This Pattern 14 No.2 has nothing to do with the Pattern 14 .303 rifle made in the US for the British during WWI.

I haven't fully cleaned it yet, other than the bolt, hence I have not fired it.  It does have a good bore and rifling, so I expect it'll be a decent shooter.  On reading the section on this model (or pattern) in Skennerton's "The Lee Enfield", it's apparent that this particular Lee-Enfield .22 variant is rather rare.  Paraphrasing, he says that: "War Office records put the total at less than 1800" but they appear fairly common in New Zealand and Australia suggesting that "foreign orders were not included" in the total. Fairly small numbers compared to a full-strength .303 No1 MkIII.  This one appears to me to have spent it's service life in England, at least I don't see any New Zealand or Australia marks and the import stamp is "England", so I surmise that it's one of the 1800.

My customary onslaught of pictures.

The proof marks are the crown over "GR" (Georgius Rex, King George V) over crossed-flags over P. Two proofs: once for the original .303, then again upon conversion to .22

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Lee-Enfield .22 RF Pattern 14 No.2
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 09:52:20 PM »
Very cool...  My father has one aswell.   A must have for any 22 trainer collection.   8)

Things are worth like 8 bills now aren't they?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:09:36 PM »
Very cool...  My father has one aswell.   A must have for any 22 trainer collection.   8)

Things are worth like 8 bills now aren't they?
Thanks!   :)

In regard to value, your guess is as good as (or better than) mine.  I really am not sure.  ??? There are so few of this particular variant knocking about that it's hard to determine a current value.  Apparently the Pattern 14 No. 1 is even more scarce, about 500 of those.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 11:17:19 PM »
A beautiful rifle Jon with a fascinating history, thanks for sharing it!

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 08:19:50 AM »
Very nice condition! It must have been handled by the best of the trainees...  ;)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 04:37:16 PM »
A beautiful rifle Jon with a fascinating history, thanks for sharing it!
Thanks Danny!

Very nice condition! It must have been handled by the best of the trainees...  ;)
:)) Yeah, no doubt the Sergeant-Major wouldn't put up with any abuse of the rifles  bat1