Author Topic: .223 Factory seconds, $300 per 1000 shipped  (Read 518 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
.223 Factory seconds, $300 per 1000 shipped
« on: July 14, 2023, 02:55:36 PM »
I have no idea if this is a good deal or not, but at $299.99 final price delivered to my door I wound up buying a case as I haven't seen .223 at 30 cents a round to my door in forever (this appears to be one of the few online places left that still doesn't collect NM sales tax.  That extra 8% adds up).  Ammoseek shows LAX Reman to be averaging about $350/case and new production seems to be averaging $350 for the no name stuff up to $380+ for decently priced Federal/Lake City.  With tax and shipping tacked on that easily turns into $450-$475 a case or so. 

Supposedly this run had a batch of primers that is suspect and "LESS than .25% potentially have BAD PRIMERS causing failure to fire."  Not sure if that's all that reassuring or not, but heck if their numbers are anywhere near accurate, 2.5 duds out of the case is far better than I'm used to when shooing off Persian 8mm Mauser from the 40's!  chuckles1

Anyhow, not for everyone, but thought I'd pass it along to anyone who might be interested.  I have not gotten confirmation that it shipped yet, but I do have a tracking number.

https://americanreloading.com/223-rem-556/4538-factory-seconds-223-rem-55gr-fmj-read-disclaimer-free-shipping-1000-rds.html

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Re: .223 Factory seconds, $300 per 1000 shipped
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 03:02:56 PM »
Also, SGAmmo has 5.56 Privi Partizan with a steel core bullet for $389.50 that he got in a one time buy which I almost got but really needed to go with .223 for my Savage 111L bolt gun.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-ammo/1000-round-case-556mm-62-grain-fmj-steel-core-ss109-brass-case-prvi-partizan-

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 11:56:21 PM »
Good prices. SG will definitely charge sales tax (we’re at 8.6% in “no income tax WA”) but that PPU M193 is still tempting. I almost pulled the trigger on a case earlier this week but decided my cache of 5.56 was sufficient.

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 12:18:47 AM »
Did not last long  :(

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 08:52:51 AM »
Yup. The American Reloading cache was gone within 16 hours. SGAmmo took a full 3 days to sell his 4600 cases. Pretty impressive to see Sam’s 4,600,000 rounds go so quickly.  Put $1.7+ million into his pocket though.  thumb1

Sam’s emails have been saying that things have been slow this summer. Prices are better than they have been in a long while for pretty much everything except 7.62x39 though still much higher than they were in 2015.  The new BSP Ammo Made in Kyrgyzstan is helping (even though it is corrosive primed), but there will have to be much more cheap steel cased ammo imported to get back under 40 cents per round I suspect.  It’ll be interesting to see what the next inflationary shock does to the system, at some point it will not be cost effective to produce the odd calibers anymore and the market will shrink and prices will rise dramatically.  Get your 7.5 Swiss while you still can!  :))

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2023, 04:14:22 PM »
I lucked out and got some S&B 7.5 Swiss for a little over a buck a round shipped a few months back, a batch of GP11 made in '78 for $1.14 a round a few weeks back and I'm gonna load about 300 in new PPU cases with Hornady 168gr BTHP's next week.  Also found some chargers and a diopter sight at an extremely good price.  I think I'm set rofl2 wink1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 01:13:11 PM »
Nice Bruce!

I was a bit tongue-in-cheek with the 7.5 Swiss comment.  Like you, I actually got about 360 rounds of very nice GP11 extremely cheap by today's standards  a while ago when I worked a deal out with my buddy for a large lot. 

I do think $1+ per round for most everything that's not 5.56, .308, or most pistol calibers is going to be the new norm moving forward.  Certainly many new production rifle rounds for hunting are already there and as the surplus market gets smaller each year as it is slowly used up, prices will only increase.  Shooting is bound to be a rich man's sport soon unless you're plinking with a .22  :P

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 07:45:18 PM »
At Camp Perry I rediscovered air guns after shooting them last almost 40 years ago. They have amazing facilities and the cost is hard to beat. Considering getting myself an air pistol for training

Online GuitarmanNick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • Live each day as if it was your last!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 12:11:25 PM »
I will not risk an increased possibility of malfunctions in any of my ammo. No seconds will ever find there way into my inventory intentionally.

Been there, done that,... lesson learned.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 06:47:39 PM »
I understand Nick.  I thought long and hard before I pulled the trigger on this one.  Had it been a known issue with case integrity, round or bullet sizing, possible squib loads, powder charge questions, or primer integrity I would have made a hard pass.  Having said that, 'bad primers' with a FTF being the expected outcome in .25% of cases was a risk I was willing to take, especially considering I'll be using them nice and slowly in a bolt gun for 100 yard max varmint shots or simple plinking, not bump firing an AR with 60 round quad stack mags. 

It's interesting the risks we take when it comes to deflagrating smokeless powder 3 inches from our face every time we use our 50 year old milsurp firearms considering that we have absolutely zero idea of what any of them have truly gone through.  Have they been abused?  Are they stress or corrosion crack prone?  Have they shot an excessive number of rounds including proof loads?  Do they have deficiencies in the original manufacture (such as a poor heat treatment, poor material, poor headspacing, poor quality control)?

The ammo variable of the safety equation is equally as big in my mind with some things that are simply unknowable.  Is the ammo factory 'new', or has it passed through several owners and now has a bit of a murky pedigree?  Is there an active recall notice out for it?  (This Winchester 9mm squib ammo from August, 2021 has an ongoing active recall so it's not one of those things that can't happen anymore even with modern processes and quality control).   Even if sold at retail and factory 'new', has the wholesaler and retailer properly stored & protected the ammo? 

Going with old surplus ammo adds even more variability to each of the above points (there are enough 'kaboom' posts on the net with surplus ammo (off the top of my head, I'm thinking of Garands, bent op rods, and certain Korean headstamped .30-06 ball ammo) to know that it's a small percentage, but it's a real non-zero risk just the same.

A guy could become extremely risk averse in a very short timeframe if every variable were taken into account as you can go a good ways down the rabbit hole on this.  The only 100% solution would be to not shoot at all I think since at the end of the day it is impossible to get to zero risk every time you pull that trigger even with a modern firearm with factory new ammo (did you know that some modern firearms have factor of safety at 1.1 or less?  As an engineer I was absolutely floored when I read that a long while back).  About all we can really do is perform our due diligence, practice good range habits, and take a step back if something makes us uncomfortable.

Finding that 'sweet spot' where one is comfortable is the key I think, and as always where one is comfortable another may not be.