Author Topic: British Invasion: SMLE, No1 MkIII*  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
British Invasion: SMLE, No1 MkIII*
« on: March 15, 2015, 11:26:24 PM »
Pictures below are of a Short Magazine Lee-Enfield (SMLE) MkIII*, more commonly known after the British went to the No. system in 1926, as the No1 MkIII*.  My new-to-me No1 MkIII* was manufactured at the Enfield RSAF (Royal Small Arms Factory) in 1918, as shown on the right side of the wrist.  All of the serial numbers, found on the receiver, barrel, bolt handle, nosecap, underside of the backsight leaf and the underside of the forestock, match.  The nice dark walnut furniture is basically devoid of nicks and dents, suggesting that it was refinished, or really coddled (and the metal finish argues against the latter).  Fortunately whoever did it, armorer or private owner, they used an oil finish as on the original furniture.  This rifle does not have an FTR (Factory Thorough Repair) mark so the metal probably has its original finish.  It has a great bore with sharp rifling and I also found a brass oiler and pull through under the butt plate trapdoor. Anyhow, I'm pleased with it as it completes my collection of at least one version of each of the more common variants (No.1, No.4 and No.5) of the Lee-Enfields.  banana time  :))

Serial Numbers

The Lee-Enfield Family: RSAF Enfield No1 MkIII*, ROF Fazakerley No4 Mk1, and BSA No5 Mk1 (Jungle Carbine)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: British Invasion: SMLE, No1 MkIII*
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 11:59:13 PM »
Nice trio  drool2 thumb1 

I have two 7.62 Nato No1 MkIII Ishapore Enfields, one made in 1965 and the other in 1967. These Ishapore Enfields were updated to the Nato round and made on the old equipment left in India by the British as I understand. The only difference between a 2A and a 2A1 is the rear sight, the 2A '65 is calibrated for the original .303 and like yours goes to 2000 meters, these aren't that common. The 2A1, the more common variant, it's rear sight is calibrated for the 7.62 Nato and it only goes to 800m. Externally, the only difference between a .303 and the 7.62 Nato is the Nato magazine is squared off, not rounded and the butt plate is cast aluminium, not brass.   I also have a No4 Longbranch I have never even shot, but, I do have one .303 round for it. chuckles1

My pops has a No5, that thing has quite a punch in recoil.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 10:04:36 AM »
Thanks GM.

I would like one of the 2A/2A1s some day.  12 round capacity 7.62x51mm is cool.  According to Skennerton the 2A/2A1s receivers were of new manufacture with higher quality steel than previously used on post-independence Ishapore No1 MkIII*.  The other minor differences were the narrower charger bridge and the ejector screw located farther forward for the shorter (51 vs. 62mm for the .303 case).

The No5 Mk1 definitely has a strong kick, but it's manageable.  Not what I would consider to be an all day shooter. 

Note: that last shot of the three rifles has some tricks of perspective.  The No4 Mk1 and No1 MkIII* are the same overall length (to within a tenth of an inch) and the No5 Mk1 is 5" shorter.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »
Very noice!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 11:23:55 AM »
Thanks GM.

I would like one of the 2A/2A1s some day.  12 round capacity 7.62x51mm is cool.  According to Skennerton the 2A/2A1s receivers were of new manufacture with higher quality steel than previously used on post-independence Ishapore No1 MkIII*.  The other minor differences were the narrower charger bridge and the ejector screw located farther forward for the shorter (51 vs. 62mm for the .303 case).

They deemed it "EN" type steel, no one really knows how or what is different in the chemical make up. Like the normal Enfield, they are subject to head space issues. Alot of people steer clear of them due to this fact. I have run Nato and lower end .308 through both, none of the hot hunting stuff. These are ones I've kept tabs on through the years I've had them, and have noted no change with the use of a headspace gauge.  You mentioned 12rd mags, they also came with a standard 10rd mag as well. One of mine has the 12 while the other is a 10rd mag. Some parts of the stock are swappable as well, the biggest difference being the cut out for the mag well. And like a true Enfield, the action is slicker and smoother than a majority of military weapons. thumb1

On the Mk5, some of the issue with the recoil, the rock hard "rubber" pad, it doesn't really help. :) I'd say it's right up there with the beasties of recoil M44 or 8x56 Steyr. chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »
Beautiful rifle Phosphorus, as Greasemonkey says the trio is nice, very nice! I wanna cry like a kid every time I see a No 5, I lost mine in a house fire in '88.  cry2  Never fired it much but it kicked like the proverbial mule.

I'm envious!!