Author Topic: A pair of Non imported Mas 36 rifles-heavy picture warning  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
A pair of Non imported Mas 36 rifles-heavy picture warning
« on: January 18, 2015, 06:08:10 PM »
A Mas 36 brought back, from a fairly recent conflict, Vietnam. It has lived a fairly rough life. Probably captured from the French in the First Indochina War.

The proof to show it's rough life, the DD603 trophy form dated 1973 from Saigon Vietnam.

This one is a 1938 MAS 36 from a completely different time, era and half a world away from the above MAS. This rifle never made it through the refurb/update at the arsenal. There is no import marking I can find anywhere, unless it's marked under the wood which is highly doubtful, and from what I can tell, the wood has never been off. I can only guess, but with no supporting document, it's a possible bring back or sneak rifle from Europe.
The butt stock has LK5 stamp near the butt stock serial, which I've been told it fell into German hands at some point.  The LK5, and there is also an LK7 stamp have been found on many various French bringbacks from Germany, as I have been told, it has never been found on a imported rifle.
The barrel is not counterbored, has the non-hooded front sight and a slightly different mag follower based on observations of my other MAS rifles. The bolt is also not updated when compared to recent refurb rifles. The center barrel band is also early. It still has the remnants of the original black enamel finish and is not parkerized. All numbers on the rifle are matching with the exception of the bayonet. Barrel condition is by no means great, but it still shoots pretty good.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: A pair of Non imported Mas 36 rifles-heavy picture warning
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 06:25:48 PM »
Wow that is quite the cool pair of rifles  :o  :) thanks for all of the detailed pics. You guys need to stop tempting me to stock yet another odd caliber  :))

How is operation with that swept forward bolt handle? Fast and natural...or not? Is it cock on close?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 06:41:11 PM »
To me, it took a bit to get used to, but the odd bolt handle design works well. It is cock on opening, the bolt is double rear lug like an Enfield. If you find a nice used one, the action is pretty smooth and quick. The one oddity built into them, they do not have a safety.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Marshall-law

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 01:48:45 PM »
I would think those two would be how I like my steak cooked. RARE

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 03:39:02 PM »
To me, it took a bit to get used to, but the odd bolt handle design works well. It is cock on opening, the bolt is double rear lug like an Enfield. If you find a nice used one, the action is pretty smooth and quick. The one oddity built into them, they do not have a safety.
Thanks for the info.  I'll keep my eyes open for targets of opportunity. 

Interesting info, and odd design, but a lack of a safety doesn't bother me too much since I own a lot of Mosins  rofl Yeah, I know they have a safety but really, how often does one engage it.  Since I do 99% of my shooting at the range I empty the mag whenever we go cold and put in an empty chamber flag so safeties don't come into play very often.