Author Topic: Are there any detatchable mags that are totally reliable  (Read 637 times)

Offline bulldog21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Are there any detatchable mags that are totally reliable
« on: September 08, 2022, 01:20:04 PM »
Are there any detatchable mags that are totally reliable, or go with factory mag and stripper clips? New to this board and would appreciate guiding wisdom without spending money on JUNK.  Thanks in advance and for the help.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Are there any detatchable mags that are totally reliable
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 03:39:49 PM »
First welcome to the files. Lots of good information and knowledge here.

As to your question, Tapco mags were always the desired detachable mags of the past, but they are no longer in production with the company folding. Pro-mags are the best alternative in the duck-bill platform. A member here, 1mlt, makes an adapter that allows for the use of AR mags in 7.62x39. Not cheap, but good value or the money, and reliable. If modifying your SKS that way is what you want, I recommend an aftermarket stock for that option as it will need to be modified permanently for the adapter.
Most of us here will tell you just use the stripper clips. Once you've mastered loading the OEM box mag with the clips you can run through your ammo just about as fast as you can swapping out mags. Also, a bandolier of ammo on clips is lighter and easier to carry than 20-30 round mags with equal quantity of ammo.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 06:28:54 PM »
If you wanted a rifle that fires 7.62x39 from a detachable mag, you should have bought an AK.  think1
A lot of getting a detachable mag to work right on an SKS is trial and error plus experience, and you still could end up altering or damaging the magwell beyond being able to restore it to use a standard 10 round fixed mag and/or having the detachable mag fall out every time after the first shot if you don't know what you're doing.

Like GG said, I wouldn't try it on an original hardware stock, especially a numbers matching carbine. If you decide you absolutely have to fool with it, get an aftermarket stock and send an order to 1mlt, as that's your best bet especially if you are new to the platform. To me, getting detachable mags to work is a crapshoot and one I think isn't worth the fuss, but I'm certainly more of a purist when it comes to this platform so I'm sure my bias is showing a little.  :-[

Edit: I've also had great luck with the Chinese star 20 rd non detachable box mags that require no altering to your carbine  thumb1
-STR

Offline bulldog21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 09:27:05 PM »
Thanks guys. Thats kind of what I thought. I do have the AK's and like you guy's said, Thats what I came to believe.. Thought I was missing something. I tried 4 different promags and their reliability was not there.  I love the accuracy of the sks and the 20 inch bbl, but spoiled by the reliability of the AK mag's..My brother mentioned the 20 rd chinese also.  Thanks again.  My 1966 Norinco loves the factory 10 and is flawless..  Thanks guys.. :)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 11:44:14 PM »
 thumb1
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.