Author Topic: Recent Russian Mosin imports  (Read 1580 times)

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
Recent Russian Mosin imports
« on: December 20, 2020, 09:51:04 PM »
A nice 1943 M44 https://www.gunbroker.com/item/886703781

What I found interesting is the recent <ГИС> stamp on the receiver and barrel (pic 9/19), 2014 dated. This must be a [relatively] recent import from Russia. I've seen few others (but not too many) on GB recently. There might be more Mosins waiting for us out there :)

Offline Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
Re: Recent Russian Mosin imports
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 02:25:09 AM »
I actually bought one of these back when they came through (2012ish?), the most obvious marking they did is under the top forend piece of wood on the barrel. Big ole lettering IIRC. Tomorrow if I can remember I'll snap a picture to show you what I mean.
-STR

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 02:41:12 AM »
Changed my mind and just decided to check now.
Not as big as I remembered but still obnoxious. Same ГИС stamp as found on other parts of the rifle, but has the KO-44 marking underneath the upper handguard. 
I think there were several batches of these that came out through the 2010's albeit with some slight differences in markings. As said before pretty sure I got this one around 2012. All I know for absolute certain though is, she's a great fireball maker  :))

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 08:55:44 AM »
It's a Molot refurb. MOLOT is a very large and famous Russian manufacturing facility that both builds and refurbishes rifles. They made the VEPR line of AK rifles, also built many M91/30 PU snipers. Aim Surplus and Classic sold quite a few of them, in some areas of the world, there was also a Molot SKS sold.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 11:35:35 AM »
It's a Molot refurb. MOLOT is a very large and famous Russian manufacturing facility that both builds and refurbishes rifles. They made the VEPR line of AK rifles, also built many M91/30 PU snipers. Aim Surplus and Classic sold quite a few of them, in some areas of the world, there was also a Molot SKS sold.

Ahh Molot! Couldn't remember the name for the life of me, thanks GM!
They're definitely furbs, I'd imagine with little collectability, BUT they are functionally fantastic rifles. Great for shooting!

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 02:20:34 PM »
I see. Too bad it's all refurb.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 03:00:43 PM »
What's funny(ironic) about the market here is everybody wants high dollar for whatever flavor of Mosin Nagant one can find, but still think the SKS is a $250 rifle. I have ended up doing trades for ammo in order to get a better value on any SKS I have sold. Otherwise, I sell it online.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 11:50:11 PM »
So talking about Mosins, I saw Empire Arms has M91/30 round receiver, refurb, nice condition for about $320. Is it an OK price? I have zero knowledge on M91/30.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 03:07:56 AM »
One of 51,700 trials M44 carbines produced at Izhevsk in 1943. $570 was not a crazy price for that one. In 1944, Izhevsk made over 1.6 million M44s.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 03:14:39 AM »
So talking about Mosins, I saw Empire Arms has M91/30 round receiver, refurb, nice condition for about $320. Is it an OK price? I have zero knowledge on M91/30.

While that isn’t a killer deal for a refurbished round receiver M91/30, it is a reasonable price these days.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 09:01:25 AM »

While that isn’t a killer deal for a refurbished round receiver M91/30, it is a reasonable price these days.

It's crazy how the market has corrected itself to make Cabela's prices of two years ago the new normal...

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 09:28:07 AM »

It's crazy how the market has corrected itself to make Cabela's prices of two years ago the new normal...

They had to pay their "expert" arms appraiser somehow.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 12:15:42 PM »

They had to pay their "expert" arms appraiser somehow.

Yeah, it's crazy how quickly M91/30 prices have risen. I've still lucked out at auctions and a pawn shop find last year, but the "retail" price is now $300-450 depending on location and round/"hex" receiver. Hard to believe they were $99 from SOG as recently as Christmas six years ago.

Of course, the Cabela's prices of two years ago were still worse than this. Their offerings were the rusted and pitted Ukrainian crap that came out of the crates that had, ahem, lost their integrity (accumulated snow melt inside). They hot blued their rusted trash and listed them for $400-450 (I saw a few at the Yakima Cabela's Outpost store and heard quite a few reports on the internet).

Dennis states his $319 M91/30s have "Excellent-PLUS arsenal refinished condition, with 99% or better bluing on all metal parts and mirror-bright bores" and I would assume he's correct.