Author Topic: #1 of 4 on recent purchases, The DP.  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
#1 of 4 on recent purchases, The DP.
« on: September 15, 2020, 01:51:48 PM »
Okay, I totally went off the wagon lately, as many of you laughingly know. I went from 1 all matching Chinese type 56 to adding a CZ-527 in 7.62x39, a Chinese parts gun, an MC-5d, and now have added 3 more Chinese and a Russian. None of the last 4 are present and correct, but I aim to fix that on at least 3 of them.

#1 - The DP - 
This arrived to me in a really clean Combat Exchange Ultra-lite folding stock complete with HG. Only non-matching part is the box mag which is Russian. It appears someone threw this together just to sell. It probably would not have functioned the way it is. Too much cosmoline in the action parts, inside bolt and the piston was stuck in place with it. The mag was way too tight and I had to force things apart to get the action out of the stock(which had no tension spring for the FCG). Here are the before pics;

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
Re: #1 of 4 on recent purchases, The DP.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 01:52:27 PM »
Reserved for After pics, coming soon to a forum near you. thumb1

It was a lot more work than I thought it would be. Whoever put that thing into the CE folder just did it to get rid of it. There is no way it would have shot more than 1 round. The piston was stuck from both cosmoline and from the tube being slightly bent at the front. It would not move and I had to force it out. Other parts were still caked in Cosmo, but everything was serviceable. They wedged the mag up in place without checking for tolerance, jacked up the feed lips and I had to use a screw driver to get it out. Fortunately I didn't mess anything up in the process. Still I was able to adjust the feed lips and file where needed to get it to fit. I cleaned up the rest of the parts, got the piston were it will move through the tube. The action dropped nice and snug right into the stock I bought for it and once I put on the accessories I had she was all happy and back where she belongs. Here's my after pic;

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:32:52 PM by Greatguns »
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »
your going to need a bigger safe. thanks for sharing, very cool.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 06:53:06 PM »
your going to need a bigger safe. thanks for sharing, very cool.

Safe? I keep everything loaded for bear(or perps) and spread throughout the house, LOL. J/K

BTW Carl, I posted my After pic

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:05:50 PM »
big improvement, me likeeee.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 09:40:29 PM »
Nice rescue!  thumb1 DP with an HM Russian mag.

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 01:14:25 AM »
Much better, that looks very nice. The stock looks perfectly appropriate.
My DB had a mismatched gas tube, jammed into place despite being too long. Turns out ALL gas tubes are too long for that gun. Removing it bent it.
That was joyful to reconcile back into true(enough)ness to function...it also marred up my ribbed barrel getting the sucker off.  I was wondering if I was going to have to unpeen the takedown lever on the RSB...and probably should have.

Glad it worked out, I betcha there was some fun involved though. :)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 10:41:48 AM »
My DB had a mismatched gas tube, jammed into place despite being too long. Turns out ALL gas tubes are too long for that gun. Removing it bent it.
That was joyful to reconcile back into true(enough)ness to function...it also marred up my ribbed barrel getting the sucker off.  I was wondering if I was going to have to unpeen the takedown lever on the RSB...and probably should have.

Yeah, along with some cussing and swearing at whoever put it together this way. Obviously someone who either didn't know what they were doing and/or didn't care. Hardest part was the tube piston part then the mag fit. Had some fitting to do on the HG as well, but not too bad. Took me about 3 hours of toil and trouble, but in the end I was a happy camper. Glad I tackled this one first.

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 02:14:16 PM »

Yeah, along with some cussing and swearing at whoever put it together this way. Obviously someone who either didn't know what they were doing and/or didn't care. Hardest part was the tube piston part then the mag fit. Had some fitting to do on the HG as well, but not too bad. Took me about 3 hours of toil and trouble, but in the end I was a happy camper. Glad I tackled this one first.

There were expletives flying about like shrapnel when I worked on mine. I forgot, nearly every magazine wouldn't fit in the DB either....it came with a Tapco, in an ATI Strikeforce. Even the Tapco was modded to be useless in anything else.  Finally after trying every mag I had, I ended up with a Yugo mag...fit like a glove.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 11:24:20 PM »
Nice save Alan, looks much better to me. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 11:31:03 PM »
Nice save Alan, looks much better to me. PAX

Isn't it nice to see a thread started by me in the projects section and I'm not going all Picasso on it?