Author Topic: Gas tube latch thingy  (Read 3569 times)

Offline newchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
Gas tube latch thingy
« on: December 10, 2017, 10:41:17 PM »
Yes, i am sure it has a better name than that....But... I was cleaning my letter D after a nice range session and was cussing up a storm about not being able to move the latch it was so tight.  I tried a bullet tip, small screwdriver (gently) and then remembered the plastic car trim remover tools. 

When i went to put it back in the safe i pulled out the 1950 and it had a different latch.  The much easier and more friendly one i was thinking SKS's had.   

This may be that i have just discovered a water is wet kinda thing in the sks world, but when did they change those?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Gas tube latch thingy
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 11:11:59 PM »
Those changed in mid '54.  Reason is unknown, maybe they were easier to stamp or perhaps the tab had a tendency to snag on things and allow the gas tube to come off at the absolute wrong time.  I do know that the second detent on top in the post '54 levers make it slightly harder to launch an op rod across the room.  It can still be done, just a bit more difficult. 

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 11:59:13 PM »
Ahh and I've always called those a "gas tube takedown latch".  Not to be confused with the receiver cover takedown latch (of which there are also multiple versions)  thumb1 :P

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 08:35:53 AM »
Thanks RM.
One thing is for sure, you wont accidentally snag and open the second one, cant hardly do it when you are trying to.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »
Ahh and I've always called those a "gas tube takedown latch".  Not to be confused with the receiver cover takedown latch (of which there are also multiple versions)  thumb1 :P

Looks like the official name is 'Closing switch' (флажок замыкателя), according to Soviet SKS manuals.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »
Google sees it that way.  Heh, Bing translator says флажок замыкателя means "Rocks Checkbox"  chuckles1
I've never heard of anyone in the western world calling any portion of any gun by it's literal Russian translation.  I remember reading a post on a .ru website long ago and kept getting confused when a word would pop up that always translated to 'needle shuttle'.  After a while an looking at the context, I was able to decipher that they were talking about a bolt carrier.  think1

It appears that Numrich calls it a "handguard catch" in their schematic. 

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »
Seems like closing switch was what newchi got...but wanted it to also be an opening switch.  chuckles1

I really prefer the early Russian 'switch' as opposed to the later versions.  Chasing after op rods and springs is part of the fun isn't it?  :)

Offline Luke2236

• Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 07:09:46 PM »
.. I do know that the second detent on top in the post '54 levers make it slightly harder to launch an op rod across the room.....

Here, hold my beer.... :)
Canadian...eh!

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
.. I do know that the second detent on top in the post '54 levers make it slightly harder to launch an op rod across the room.....

Op rod pong?

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 01:09:01 AM »

Op rod pong?

Already sounds better than the other places get togethers. We need practice grenades and blanks...and a bunch of 59/66s I can bring two. Don't mess with the op rod launch master though...be forewarned. rofl

Op rod darts....you can sharpen an op rod without actually messing up function...can't you? :)