Author Topic: WHAT YOUR COLLECTION SAYS ABOUT YOU  (Read 6028 times)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
WHAT YOUR COLLECTION SAYS ABOUT YOU
« on: May 12, 2015, 10:21:18 PM »
Quirks, idiosyncrasies, and common personality traits of the various subsets of milsurp collectors:

GERMAN
-I am obsessed with font sizes- font sizes based on year, manufacturer, season, temperature according to the almanac, astrological readings, and tarot decks.
-I'm befuddled by the irony that the impeccable, masterful craftsmanship of a nation wasn't good enough to forge a victory in either of the world wars.
-If it's not pictured in Law or Still, it's FAKE!!! HUMPED!!! TURD!!!
-If it's not in my collection, it's FAKE!!! HUMPED!!! TURD!!!
-Everything, I mean everything, is sanded, varnished, or FAKE!!! HUMPED!!! TURD!!!, unless, of course, it's in my collection.
-I feel any piece that is not 100% matching numbers is an abomination of history, unworthy of study or appreciation.
-I make way more money than you ever will. Bless your heart.
-F.uck RCs!!!

AMERICAN
-I'm a patriot. I'm 'murican, dammit! Love it or leave it, commie!
-I'm amazed at the potential of an "original, as issued" m1 or m1 carbine, but confounded when confronted with the notion that they're all cobbled together.
-If I still collect them, I make more money than you. Bless your heart.
-I can quote the exact month any m1 was made just by looking at the serial.
-What matching numbers??
-I will scold anyone who shoots a particular 1903 because the Legends say it's unsafe.

MOSINS, RUSSIAN
-I'm a rookie. Welcome to the club, rook! Now go do my laundry.
-I make minimum wage.
-I must find beauty and interestingness (<-- not a word!) in them because I make minimum wage.
-I can pontificate for days about the awesomeosity (<-- not a word) of Finnish rifles!
- But yet, ironically, I can not comprehend that junk rebuilt well, is still junk.
-I have no idea what a m44 is, I just love the "fireballs".
-I can be seen sitting at the range, pounding on a closed bolt, perplexed, wondering why I didn't just buy a quality rifle instead.
-I can be seen watching "Enemy at the Gates", with no pants on, hugging my 91/30.
-STALINGRAD!!
-I buy my rifles blind, from a big distributor, and am extremely likely to ask advice on how to strip shellac.

SKS
-I spend hours researching the most ergonomic and tactically efficient aftermarket stock so I can be a door-busting commando.
-What's the best scope mount for a SKS?
-I am a SPECOPS door-busting terrorist-killing SEAL, I just can't afford an AR.
-Why the hell should I pay more for a Russian? SKS is SKS, dawg.
-I willingly debate the proper or improper use of 'Norinco'.
-I eagerly await the next e-notification of beat to hell rifles available at...wherever.
-I pay exorbitant German prices for a Russian SKS with an offbeat arsenal logo.
-What's the best way to remove BBQ?
-I willingly proclaim the Yugos to be the finest SKS ever made. Wait...what?...other countries made SKS?

FRENCH
-I can be seen in a cafe eating a gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian arugula salad with hummus and diet bottled spring water.
-I had $300 to waste.
-I find beauty and utility in something the rest of the civilized world would find suitable for a Chinatown sushi house dumpster.

ITALIAN
-I own a Carcano, I enjoy it, and I am the only one in America who does.
-I enjoy paying more for a round of ammo than I do for the rifle itself.
-I own Oswald's rifle!!!

SWEDES
-Most accurate rifle ever borkborkbork!
-My tender shoulder can not handle anything more powerful than a friendly nudge in jest.
-Best rifles ever! Best design ever! Swedes rock out with their sock out! Wait, what, they learned and bought everything from the Germans?!?! F.uck me!
-I can actually correctly pronounce Ljungman and Gevarsfaktori.

"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: WHAT YOUR COLLECTION SAYS ABOUT YOU
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 10:35:58 PM »
You know how I get.    bat1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:39:54 PM »
Quirks, idiosyncrasies, and common personality traits of the various subsets of milsurp collectors:

SKS
-I spend hours researching the most ergonomic and tactically efficient aftermarket stock so I can be a door-busting commando.
-What's the best scope mount for a SKS?
-I am a SPECOPS door-busting terrorist-killing SEAL, I just can't afford an AR.
-Why the hell should I pay more for a Russian? SKS is SKS, dawg.
-I willingly debate the proper or improper use of 'Norinco'.
-I eagerly await the next e-notification of beat to hell rifles available at...wherever.
-What's the best way to remove BBQ?
-I willingly proclaim the Yugos to be the finest SKS ever made. Wait...what?...other countries made SKS?
-I only collect "Smithsonian condition"  rifles

You forgot one, need to edit the OP.  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 11:05:25 PM »
Dang! I have a crap ton of idiosyncracies...I think that's a nice word for firearms of different nations*  ???  chuckles1

* Russian, Finnish, Swedish, Danish, Belgian, French, German, Polish, Czech, Romanian, Yugoslavian, Syrian, Israeli, British, Spanish, Brazilian, Argentinian, Chinese, and, oh yeah, AMERICAN

Edit: I forgot Colombian, Japanese, Swiss, Italian
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:58:23 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Gator Monroe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 12:13:33 AM »
Military & mostly thumb1 Milsurp & Retro

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 08:49:44 PM »
  Not sure where my stuff would fit in? Sold my K98, (sorry Blicero). Actually, I think it was a predecessor to the K98. (had a funny German name, go figure. :) ) I run the gammut from all type's of SKS' (sans the "Trinity" rifles), AK's from many countries, lot's of 'Merican stuff, Enfield 2A's, Mosin Nagant's, various milsurp Mausers, Belgian Brownings, pistols from all over Europe, Russia, and Asia, even a South African TZ99 pistol.

Things I was never interested in: Arisaka's,....and,....hmmmm. Guess that's about it for that. Oh yeah, and French firearms. "Chauchat" and MAS 49's? nah...

I did own four FN FAL's, one was a Australian L1A1 and the other three were the Heavy Barrel Isreali FN FAL's (heavy sob's with the bipods). They were just too big and heavy to be practicle, for this old man, anyway.

Number one cause of loss of firearms in my collection over the years: D-I-V-O-R-C-E  fineprint  banghead2 So many great firearms lost to paying attorney's, etc. Yuck! Makes me sick to think about.

Oh yeah, GM, it's a given that they have to be in "Smithsonian Conditionrofl2

firstchoice

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 10:08:15 PM »
I did own four FN FAL's, one was a Australian L1A1 and the other three were the Heavy Barrel Isreali FN FAL's (heavy sob's with the bipods). They were just too big and heavy to be practicle, for this old man, anyway.

firstchoice
How were the FALs to shoot?  They definitely intrigue me.  I like the looks of the classic versions with the top carry handle  drool2

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 10:24:40 PM »

GERMAN
-I am obsessed with font sizes- font sizes based on year, manufacturer, season, temperature according to the almanac, astrological readings, and tarot decks.
-Everything, I mean everything, is sanded, varnished, or FAKE!!! HUMPED!!! TURD!!!, unless, of course, it's in my collection.
-I make way more money than you ever will. Bless your heart.

AMERICAN
-I'm amazed at the potential of an "original, as issued" m1 or m1 carbine, but confounded when confronted with the notion that they're all cobbled together.
-If I still collect them, I make more money than you. Bless your heart.

MOSINS, RUSSIAN
-I'm a rookie. Welcome to the club, rook! Now go do my laundry.
-I must find beauty and interestingness (<-- not a word!) in them because I make minimum wage.
-I have no idea what a m44 is, I just love the "fireballs".
-I can be seen watching "Enemy at the Gates", with no pants on, hugging my 91/30.
-STALINGRAD!!
-I buy my rifles blind, from a big distributor, and am extremely likely to ask advice on how to strip shellac.

SKS

FRENCH
-I had $300 to waste.
-I find beauty and utility in something the rest of the civilized world would find suitable for a Chinatown sushi house dumpster.

ITALIAN
-I own a Carcano, I enjoy it, and I am the only one in America who does.

SWEDES
-Most accurate rifle ever borkborkbork!
-I can actually correctly pronounce Ljungman and Gevarsfaktori.

rofl  rofl  My list of favorites! Nice lampooning Kevin!

SOME ADDITIONS

MOSINS, RUSSIAN (FACEBOOK FORUM version, note: I've added punctuation and capitalization in violation of Forum rules)
-What's my Nagant worth? (I paid $250 for a refurb 91/30, did I do good?)
-Is my '44 Izzy something special?
-What's this mark?  Is it special? (wreath, K, double circles, square refurb mark, anything else every 91/30 has)
-How do I clean my Moisin after firing corrosive ammo? Answer: Windex, pee down the barrel  pissing1, a swimming pool worth of boiling water, you're a troll, no, you're a troll, I'm going to tell the moderator
-I know nothing about gunsmithing but I know I can cut off the end of the barrel with a hack saw, bend the stubby bolt, strip the shellac, and make it a 0.5 MOA rifle

SWEDES
-If the SNs don't all match, it stinks worse than lutefisk
-It's spelled gevärsfaktori and it's easy to pronounce, GAY-vairs-FOCK-tor-EE
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:38:23 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 12:10:50 AM »

firstchoice
How were the FALs to shoot?  They definitely intrigue me.  I like the looks of the classic versions with the top carry handle  drool2

I really enjoyed shooting the Israeli HB's from a bench rest style position. They're heavy enough to help with the extra recoil of the 7.62x51mm. Never had a problem at all with mine. I chose all Metric style guns and bought all new Metric magazines to begin with, so that may have helped. My HK-91 was a bear to shoot compared to the Israeli's. Walking forward with my HK-91 and emptying a full magazine would always end with me backing up. HK-91 was louder, to me, anyway. But I would NOT want to hump that Israeli FN FAL around as a MBR or SAW. It's a beast. Kinda like the M60. Didn't need a carry handle, it needed wheels.  :)
  The Australian L1A1 was a bit less enjoyable. (for me) More the traditional black FN style slim rifle. Lighter, more felt recoil. No function issues, just didn't have a preference for it. I'm thinking it was Metric, as well. Been a few years now. It was first to go, but wish I would have kept at least one of the Israeli's for the awesome factor.

firstchoice

*Edit:
  Just looking through Youtube videos and found one that Hickok45 did with an Israeli FN FAL with the light barrel. Mine all had the heavy barrel with the bipods mounted on them and a long flash suppressor. But it shows a lot about them. "You can not hate the .308"

firstchoice

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:09:07 AM by firstchoice »