Author Topic: Poly Tecknologies AKS-762  (Read 5369 times)

Offline synack2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Poly Tecknologies AKS-762
« on: February 27, 2015, 08:41:01 PM »
Hey All,

I inherited this from my Father in Law.  It was under his bed new in the original box with all it accessories and manual, with a box of ammo with 3 rounds missing.    I didn't know what it was, then I read they were a pretty highly sought after, pre-import ban, and a hard to find AK.   As soon as I found out it was valuable, rare, and supposed to be one of the nicest shooting AK's, and it was in like new condition, we promptly took it out and shot the crap out of it for a whole afternoon.   It has an action that is smooth as butter.  Even when you put the top cover down, it just clicks into place, you don't have to slap it.   The heavy barrel and amazing trigger mean I can shoot it way more accurately than my AR at 100 yards and it stays accurate even when it's hot.

Thought I would share since there don't seem to be a ton of picture and examples of them on the internet.   If anyone knows anything more about this gun, let me know.  Thanks.

Here is a Video of my wife shooting it and warming it up for the first time at the range last spring. 

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: Poly Tecknologies AKS-762
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 08:54:18 PM »
Really nice, beautiful piece.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 09:58:06 PM »
Hey All,

I inherited this from my Father in Law.  It was under his bed new in the original box with all it accessories and manual, with a box of ammo with 3 rounds missing.    I didn't know what it was, then I read they were a pretty highly sought after, pre-import ban, and a hard to find AK.   As soon as I found out it was valuable, rare, and supposed to be one of the nicest shooting AK's, and it was in like new condition, we promptly took it out and shot the crap out of it for a whole afternoon.

rofl That right there is awesome. Sure a toy is worth a lil more still in original packaging... but its just begging to be brought out and played with. Sweet, Congrats man.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 11:00:03 PM »
Lol...    clap1

Not sure what these are worth now days...  Worm?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline synack2

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 03:01:19 PM »
Lol...    clap1

In the last year I have seen two Polytechs at Gun Shows, One just like this but in worse condition without the original Chromed follower mags was on the table for $1900, the second was one of the earlier ones with the milled receiver (know as the Polytech Legend) and it was still in it's original box unfired and the had $2700 on it).  Of course, that is what they had on them, but I didn't see them selling either, and it's actually worth what someone is willing to pay.   I wouldn't pay that much for an AK. 

I have a old beat up WASR too, and it shoots fine.  This one is nicer, but not $1300-$1400 dollars nicer.  However, since it was my Father in laws I will keep it and try to keep it nice (but I do shoot it) and pass it down to my sons.   I like to collect older rifles, but I don't want stuff I can't shoot!  Heck, I still shoot my great uncles 45 that he carried when he was with the 1st infantry at Normandy.   Not that often, but I put a mag through it once a year or so.   It is not pristine at all, kind of looks like it's been through a war.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 05:48:54 PM »
Lol...    clap1

In the last year I have seen two Polytechs at Gun Shows, One just like this but in worse condition without the original Chromed follower mags was on the table for $1900, the second was one of the earlier ones with the milled receiver (know as the Polytech Legend) and it was still in it's original box unfired and the had $2700 on it).  Of course, that is what they had on them, but I didn't see them selling either, and it's actually worth what someone is willing to pay.   I wouldn't pay that much for an AK. 

I have a old beat up WASR too, and it shoots fine.  This one is nicer, but not $1300-$1400 dollars nicer.  However, since it was my Father in laws I will keep it and try to keep it nice (but I do shoot it) and pass it down to my sons.   I like to collect older rifles, but I don't want stuff I can't shoot!  Heck, I still shoot my great uncles 45 that he carried when he was with the 1st infantry at Normandy.   Not that often, but I put a mag through it once a year or so.   It is not pristine at all, kind of looks like it's been through a war.

Okay, that AKS is cool and I'd never heard of them before...but that 1911 is a whole new level of cool, especially with your great-uncle's war time connection!  8) thumb1  That pistol and story is deserving of a thread of it's own.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:35:07 PM »
Okay, that AKS is cool and I'd never heard of them before...but that 1911 is a whole new level of cool, especially with your great-uncle's war time connection!  8) thumb1  That pistol and story is deserving of a thread of it's own.

I'm with Phosphorus on this one, this is waaay too cool!  thumb1

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 11:22:05 AM »
These days, about a $1350-$1500 gun. Brand new in box with accessories? Easily $1500. Does it have the Poly Mags with chrome followers too? Those alone are a pretty penny.

I bought my AKS-762 used at Cabelas a couple years back for $1100. Thought I got a good deal.. But looks like you got it for one hell of a price  rofl2

These really have a rare sexiness about em. Something about that full hooded front sight and a flip bayo AK.. Makes me.. You know  :)

Congrats! Never part with it. The price of these may rise at a higher rate than Gold but you'll hate yourself if you ever sell it. Trust me, I know.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 11:25:37 AM »
Forever in my heart.  :(

Offline synack2

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 02:11:48 AM »
These days, about a $1350-$1500 gun. Brand new in box with accessories? Easily $1500. Does it have the Poly Mags with chrome followers too? Those alone are a pretty penny.

I bought my AKS-762 used at Cabelas a couple years back for $1100. Thought I got a good deal.. But looks like you got it for one hell of a price  rofl2

These really have a rare sexiness about em. Something about that full hooded front sight and a flip bayo AK.. Makes me.. You know  :)

Congrats! Never part with it. The price of these may rise at a higher rate than Gold but you'll hate yourself if you ever sell it. Trust me, I know.

I don't plan on parting with it.  This is one that I will keep and pass on to my son so it stays in the family.  It has 3 30 Round Mags with the Chrome Followers, and a 75 round drum that wasn't in the box, but was sitting beside it.  It has no chrome follower, so I think it was probably just one my father in law picked up somewhere.  It has a speed loader thing too that you clip over the magazine and put stripper clips in and there was a package of stripper clips in the box too.   

Right now it is still a felony in my state to insert the 75 round drum into the gun until March 23 when the new law takes effect then I can take it out and try the drum out.   Right now over 30 rounds classifies it as a Full Auto in my state for some crazy reason, but only if you have in the rifle.

Offline synack2

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 02:40:16 AM »

I will do a new thread on it.  I am waiting on my aunt to find the pictures of him in S. Africa and in Europe.  He joined the Army at the beginning of 1926 and was in for 20 years, and eventually became a provost marshal and a LT.  He was in S. Africa at the beginning of the war and he basically was like the Military Police is today.  Then he wanted to go back into which is where he started with the army, and the infantry and the needed LT's and Captains, he couldn't tell anyone why.  He went to England and no one heard anything from him for a long time.  No letters, calls or anything.   Then the family received word he was in Europe.  He went from Normandy to Berlin and his 20 years was up not long after the War Ended. 

I am pretty sure he was suffering from what we now know is PTSD.  He developed a really bad drinking problem after the war.  He was killed in a car accident in 1951, he was drinking, driving and speeding and tried to pass a truck that was actually turning left.  It turned in front of him as he was accelerating around it and he was killed.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 11:08:50 AM »
Cool, sounds like you got the whole package. Not sure if the Drum is suppose to have the chrome follower, I'm pretty sure it isn't, so nothing incorrect there.

Good to hear you will pass it on, it is definitely one to do so with. Those are getting harder & harder to find. Sorry to hear about your crappy laws,mgood to hear eyre changing them.   thumb1