Author Topic: What gun oils you use?  (Read 18483 times)

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
What gun oils you use?
« on: October 24, 2014, 12:35:20 PM »
I've always used Clenzoil. Anyone swear by anything?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: What gun oils you use?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:41:31 PM »
I should buy RemOil aerosol cans by the case. I've never done any great comparisons with alternative products, it's just readily available locally and I like it for cleaning and leaving a light rust preventative film behind.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 12:45:53 PM »
Welp, I'll get laughed at, but I use diesel truck oil. I like Delo 400LE 5w-40 syn oil.
High detergent, great anti-oxidation and lubrication abilities. It don't evaporate, sticks and clings to metal.  And it's free.   thumb1

Besides, can you think of a worse environment for a lubricant than inside a diesel engine, or in any engine.  :o
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 01:10:41 PM »
I should buy RemOil aerosol cans by the case. I've never done any great comparisons with alternative products, it's just readily available locally and I like it for cleaning and leaving a light rust preventative film behind.

I use RemOil often, to leave an anti-rust film too. You can find that stuff almost anywhere.  thumb1

Welp, I'll get laughed at, but I use diesel truck oil. I like Delo 400LE 5w-40 syn oil.
High detergent, great anti-oxidation and lubrication abilities. It don't evaporate, sticks and clings to metal.  And it's free.   thumb1

Besides, can you think of a worse environment for a lubricant than inside a diesel engine, or in any engine.  :o

Can't laugh at that. I use mobil 1 synthetic when I'm out of everything else. Sure smells good when shootin too.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 01:22:24 PM »
Well it's just my ill-rational thought, these weapons are 40+ years in age, there were no spaceage NASA high potency lubes, they have lasted this long on a diet of engine oil, kerosene, diesel, who knows what else those troops used, but it must have worked because it's operational and here today. And it ain't like I'll ever wear one out. I've hammered on my Yugo M59/66 for about 15years now, and it keeps ticking like a Timex. If it ain't rusting, displaying any metal shavings or hanging up, the oil must work.

And like everything, the engine oils today are spaceage lubes compared to engine oils of 40-50 years ago, so in theory should allow even less wear.

I only have 1 true modern military style weapon, an AR, but it just sits. I guess maybe it would need some space age stuff.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 01:35:16 PM »
Makes sense to me too. If it's slippery & meant for an engine it's good enough for my beater guns. Lol

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 03:00:42 PM »
I mainly use Remoil also...CLP if I find it in our area. After a lot of firing when we had a minor malfunction in our "ma-deuce" (M-2) .50 cal we would raise the cover and pour in some 30 weight engine oil, they would rock and roll then!

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 03:17:03 PM »
I mainly use Remoil also...CLP if I find it in our area. After a lot of firing when we had a minor malfunction in our "ma-deuce" (M-2) .50 cal we would raise the cover and pour in some 30 weight engine oil, they would rock and roll then!

Haha nice

I clean my guns with clp. Give em a nice clp bath, scrub, wipe, etc.. & hoppes for the bore. Clenzoil on the movin parts & good to go  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 03:24:48 PM »
Inside of an engine dont see too much water

Review/comparison of gun care products | Ron's outdoor blog.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:30:28 PM by Worm »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 03:30:46 PM »

I would never store a gun and expect engine oil to preserve it. But lube for shooting? Any day

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »
Sure...  for shooting, I squirt some Lucas gun oil into the action.  Its rated at melt-your-face off tekps and was designed for machineguns. Problem solved.a

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 03:48:15 PM »
Yeah. When i take the Ak's out though I just spit on em & call em a whore.  rofl2

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 03:49:24 PM »
I hate Rem oil with a passion.   :-*

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 05:28:50 PM »

Yea, when at operating temp the water evaporates. I'll go along with this, BUT :o

Shut said engine down when it is 180-210 degrees on a nice humid 20 degree night, let sit. What will form on the inside where the air is warm while outside is cold? Condensation, A.K.A. water, where does it go, straight into the oil pan, where is the pump pick up, in the bottom of the pan. Run an engine with a blown head gasket, broke head bolt or stud, crack a liner, rebuild an engine and screw up the liner protrusion, nick a liner o-ring during install, pop an oil cooler, crack a water cooled turbo housing, all these are just a few of the points of entry, excluding the intake. Most of the time if small enough, the internal leak goes somewhat unnoticed, till you take a sample of the oil for used oil analysis, 10,000 miles or more later, oh look, it's got coolant in the oil. By this time who knows how much water/coolant has passed through the oil, seeping in and evaporating, repeating over and over. High sodium content is a indicator of coolant in oil.  I can always get into how much water comes into through the air induction system, heating and cooling and condensation of the charge air and such. Relative humidity, temperature, dew point, super cooling and a myriad of other formulas   chuckles1  thumb1

Engines are not by any means air tight or water tight, air has water in it, so technically, yes, engine oil sees more water than you might think.. thumb1  There are alot of measures, like PVC, crank case filters and others in place to see that the water vapor is expelled during normal operation, so to 99.9% of the population, the water goes un-noticed.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 05:35:26 PM »
I stand corrected...  engines are filled with water and diesel oil is THE superior gun protecting oil of choice by those that know.   :P   fart1

I just hate replacing my sks's oil-pump.... what a pita.   rofl

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 05:43:09 PM »
I stand corrected...  engines are filled with water and diesel oil is THE superior gun protecting oil of choice by those that know.   :P   fart1

I just hate replacing my sks's oil-pump.... what a pita.   rofl

Well, you drive a Cummins powered beast, they drink more coolant than fuel anyway rofl chuckles1 rofl2

Secretly, I smear KY for her on the gun, and then smear KY for him, on myself.  fart1 fart1 dance1  OH boy, the banging that follows :o

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 07:26:46 PM »
Can someone please translate that for me??  I lost my Sasquatch to English translation book.   :))

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 07:43:58 PM »
Can someone please translate that for me??  I lost my Sasquatch to English translation book.   :))

KY Jelly you cumquat!!! chuckles1 His and Hers banghead1, shhheeeesshh, and Sasquatch rofl2, Naw man when the KY Jelly comes out, it's Rick James B*tch!!! chuckles1 rofl2 rofl

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 08:47:50 PM »
Lmfao  chuckles1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 09:10:20 PM »
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^^^^^^^^^^  RED LINE  ^^^^^^^^^^^

<<-----------------   SILENCE !!!!      I Ban You !!!!