Author Topic: Star mag  (Read 1971 times)

Offline IceCat1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Star mag
« on: August 15, 2020, 08:53:17 PM »
Installed a 20 round star mag on my Yugo and wondered why it wouldn’t hold two strippers of ammo.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 12:00:53 AM by IceCat1 »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Star mag
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 11:21:59 PM »
Not seeing your images, may have set it to autodelete when you uploaded them. Need to set it to NOT autodelete.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline IceCat1

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 11:57:04 PM »
Not seeing your images, may have set it to autodelete when you uploaded them. Need to set it to NOT autodelete.

Thanks GG, I’ll check it out.

Should be gtg.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 12:01:35 AM by IceCat1 »

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 04:51:13 AM »
It does look heavily used. It will only retain the rounds when it’s installed in your SKS with the magazine up (latched closed). I don’t know if you have a cartridge installed incorrectly (vertical) to compress the spring and show us something about the follower ? but they need to be oriented horizontally, in other words rounds need to be inserted parallel to the barrel.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 09:46:08 AM »
Funny that the round got stuck in there like that. I bet if you tried to force a round into that position you’d have a heck of a time doing it!

Hopefully you got it out and the follower and follower arm are still in good shape!   thumb1

Offline IceCat1

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 10:42:14 AM »
Funny that the round got stuck in there like that. I bet if you tried to force a round into that position you’d have a heck of a time doing it!

Hopefully you got it out and the follower and follower arm are still in good shape!   thumb1

Yeah I don’t know how it went vertical. Pretty sure it was the first round in cuz the whole stripper loaded but only a few would go in on the second one.

I pushed the follower down & the round came out easily. Tried two more strippers and successfully loaded 19. Had to hand push the last one in.

I can’t speak to the amount of use the mag has had in the past but the round pushed its way past the follower. Next time out I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. I’ve heard the star mags could be unreliable. Hope that’s not the case here, I like the 20 round capacity in a traditional configuration.

I just found it interesting that this happened and thought I’d share it for anyone with the same kind of mag. It would be sub optimal when the zombies are closing in. Lol

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 12:15:22 PM »
I'd like to get one of those star mags, but not at todays prices.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 05:06:53 PM »
Personally, those mags do nothing for me. I'd rather spend $120+ towards a gun or buy 2/3 original used mags. Every time I see one of those, or any non-original mag, on an SKS I think of a likely non-matching gun for the rest of it's life. No hate, just stating my opinion.

Offline IceCat1

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 06:23:47 PM »
Personally, those mags do nothing for me. I'd rather spend $120+ towards a gun or buy 2/3 original used mags. Every time I see one of those, or any non-original mag, on an SKS I think of a likely non-matching gun for the rest of it's life. No hate, just stating my opinion.

Fortunately I didn’t pay $120 for the mag. Think it was $65 iirc a few years back. I still have the original (Sorta) 10 round fixed mag, My Yugo came to me Non matching and Bubba style and I put it back to the original configuration. The 10 round fixed mag was $35 5 years ago. Had a NC star receiver cover with an optic mount and cheap barska red dot. 2 duckbill 30 round mags, one plastic, one steel and a plastic folder stock made for a spike bayo, No cleaning rod or cleaning kit. Whew! Bad bad bubba.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 07:14:03 PM »
Glad to hear you still have original mag. I figure most people sell them to finance the larger capacity mags. And glad you didn't pay top $ for it either.  thumb1