Author Topic: aluminum m4 stock adapter tapco t6 prototype. I'm testing it.  (Read 2363 times)

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman

Im going to be testing one of these m4 stock adapters for tapco stocks on an sks m that I own. 

They are in the prototype phase and are made of aluminum by pearce armoury Canada. My model will be cerakoted black. 

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Re: aluminum m4 stock adapter tapco t6 prototype. I'm testing it.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 06:20:20 AM »
I'll be using a prince 50 paratrooper front sight,  williams fiber optic front firesight, a mag wedge quick rail and holosun red dot. 

This is the rear right I'll be using  its supposed to sit super low.

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Sub-compact-Sight-Shotguns-Rifles/dp/B00S0QVK4G

The tapco stock is already bedded.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »
Have you messed with a William's Firesight yet?

You will certainly need that windage adjustment on the rear sight....possibly all of it to one side or the other. The design is kind of flawed in that in order to secure it, you tighten down on a screw, which pulls it to whichever side you elect to put the head on. I attempted to correct this by inserting rubber washers and/or O-rings...which somewhat worked, but ultimately would melt. I have also heard that the SKS heats up enough to melt the optical insert...and that they tend to fall out.  I never got that far. I fired maybe one shot to see if I got lucky with the placement, when I didn't...it came off and lives in the parts drawer.  I may hang on to it should I ever pick up an SKS that already has the windage adjusted to the extreme.

What sucks is you likely will lose the cool factor of easily being able to adjust windage, precisely vs. the front sight drum...making up for an inherently improperly positioned FIXED front sight. Essentially, you will lose about half of the adjustability, making up for that. If the gun already needed to be adjusted to the right or left, I would suggest threading the screw in from the side it needs to be adjusted to already...which will leave you a little more windage.  This leads to the ugly gaping hole left on the opposite side of the FSB where the drum no longer is....it looks funky if you have to thread from the left...if you display them.

These could have been designed a bit better, but likely would have been about $25 more expensive as a result. Another issue I recall with them is that they don't fit necessarily all nationalities of FSB. The thickness of the blade either is too much or too little for the slot it goes into....too much, it won't go in at all...too little, its way too floppy to lightly secure...so you end up pulling it to the side as far as it will go...so it stays straight enough for the light to pass towards your eye.

I highly suggest installing when you are alone, so the expletives can fly without damaging someones ears or your reputation as a level headed man. Why will replace What in WTF...I assure you. :P

I cannot see these being even slightly worth using without an adjustable rear sight. The likelihood of it attaching securely coincidentally with where it actually needs to be are quite slim. I added the Firesight to a pre-existing SKS sporting a Williams peep rear, that was perfectly adjusted for a standard post, and red-loctited into place by a previous owner.  I didn't feel like fussing with it...as the aesthetics of it bothered me anyway....so they both went.

YMMV...let us know if you have success, and how you did it...I like the concept, if it worked better.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 03:44:49 AM »
Hmmm wanted fiber optic for sure but I guess I'll get a tech sights front target site and paint it with kg sight paint.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 10:44:38 AM »
Well I hope I saved you some grief and money....I always kind of wanted one of those KNS crosshair target sights...fortunately I saw one on a butchered Yugo at a pawn shop...with my eyes, it was essentially dual peeps.  rofl2

Something you might try...if you like the fiber idea, get a cheapo set of the snap on kinds for shotguns at Wally World. there is enough of that fiber tube in there for numerous experiments. I wonder if superglue would hold a segment of that onto the tip of a standard post. It might not last forever...but you could probably get a dozen applications for the cost of glue and the few bucks for the shotgun sights. It might even work better with a plastic Tapco post....the glue would likely last longer...but the melting would always make it temporary.

For what you are looking for, with durability...this is what you really want though...it's a little spendy, but you are worrying about the half life of a radioactive element vs. plastic and glue. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SKS-TRITIUM-FRONT-SIGHT-POST-NIGHT-SIGHT-U-S-MADE-FITS-RUSSIAN-SKS/391952913325?epid=22015084903&hash=item5b4236d3ad:g:yiIAAOSwGUBaRvsL:rk:7:pf:0

For all those dollars, you get the benefit of aesthetics, day or night effectiveness, full use of your windage sight, no melting....and you can put one of those cool radioactive stickers on the butt if you are so inclined. rofl  I would love one for a project gun, but dang...it's hard to cough up so much for such a tiny thing.