Author Topic: Correct Sling ?  (Read 641 times)

Offline Hylander

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Correct Sling ?
« on: July 24, 2023, 05:08:27 PM »
Where do I  find a correct Russisn sling?
I see lots of slings for sale but want to get a proper one.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Correct Sling ?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 06:34:00 PM »
They can usually be found on eBay without too much effort like this one.

Buckled green canvas with a riveted end with one hook and a leather keeper on one end is typically what you're looking for.  The hook end on the sling goes through the bottom swivel under the stock then through the keeper and buckle to control the loop size and finally the hook clips to the front gas block.  They are kind of a pain to deal with if you disassemble the rifle a ton and lots of guys simply don't put them on because the metal clip has a tendency to scratch the finish up at the gas block.

There are variations of slings out there too, blue ones from the Navy, I believe some all leather, slings for other guns like PPSh and SVT-40, etc.  I'm not sure that we have a good thread on Soviet slings, but the AK/SKS slings are relatively easy to ID.  They also have dates on them and some guys try to match the sling date with the rifle date. 

Hope you find a good one!  thumb1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 08:51:31 PM »
Early pre-1952 Russian slings would have been stitched leather end for the D-ring instead of the riveted metal, but they are a lot harder to find and usually a lot more $$$
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 09:15:59 PM »
Correctness is a tricky thing with these. Original one from the 50s will cost you pretty penny. But a correct one from the 70s or the 80s (“deer head”) can still be had for not too much money in excellent shape.

Offline Hylander

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 09:36:39 PM »
Thanks
I recon a 70's would be fine for a 1958

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 09:58:39 AM »
Early pre-1952 Russian slings would have been stitched leather end for the D-ring instead of the riveted metal, but they are a lot harder to find and usually a lot more $$$

Hey Alan, do you have any examples?  We really should have a good sticky pictorial thread on the variations around here!

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 10:09:42 AM »
I have a few. Will try to take some good pics

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 10:19:32 AM »

Hey Alan, do you have any examples?  We really should have a good sticky pictorial thread on the variations around here!

I used to have an early Navy with the stitched leather I picked up for a restoration. I'll dig around and see if I can find it then shoot you a PM with the pic(s)
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 09:19:03 PM »

I posted a link to an eBay listing in Auctions Section.

Offline Hylander

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2023, 09:17:38 PM »
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 09:24:54 PM by Hylander »

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2023, 09:29:46 PM »
The one on the picture for the second one looks legit, but if you read the reviews it’s less clear if you’d actually get one like the one on the picture

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2023, 10:32:51 PM »
They are both OTK and good to go. Grab the cheaper one with the free returns in case you don't like it. :)

Your second link.

Offline Hylander

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2023, 10:55:46 PM »
Thanks guys,
Ordered the one in the second link

Offline Hylander

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2023, 10:08:36 PM »